Gtr2 on ryzen 5 3550h and gtx1650?

Vanilla game or full of mods ? I ask that because many mods we can find are totally bugged with CTDs.
If you've got 10th Ann. patch then run GTR2_DEBUG.BAT and after CTD go to UserData\Log to open TRACE.TXT : in general reason of ctd is written in last lines.
I assume you have followed the full install process (*) and you did not launch the game directly after install ?

(*) https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-to-install-gtr2-and-png3-in-2019.173928/

Vanilla game or full of mods ? I ask that because many mods we can find are totally bugged with CTDs.
If you've got 10th Ann. patch then run GTR2_DEBUG.BAT and after CTD go to UserData\Log to open TRACE.TXT : in general reason of ctd is written in last lines.
I assume you have followed the full install process (*) and you did not launch the game directly after install ?

(*) https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-to-install-gtr2-and-png3-in-2019.173928/

Well actually I was not using any mods. I just used the v1.1 update. I am having difficulty in just the base game running smoothly. I race at spa with like 60 opponents and I get really low fps like in 20s and ctds. Also I have set the game to use my gtx1650 and all cores

I highly recommend to follow the tutorial I gave you to avoid issues. There are many updates and patches in the 10th Anniversary Patch (there are tons of bugs in GTR2 even after Simbin patch 1.1) and if you want to play base vanilla game then it is still possible by selecting 2003/2004 cars. Later if you want to play with full patched game then select HQ versions in menu, that is as simple as that.

Thought a Ryzen 5 3550h had a Vega Gpu build in?. So why the GTX 1650?
bill2's process manager are build for older Cpus,
Should works with 4 Cores + 4 HT but it could be the issue?
Try 'Process lasso' free to use but do have a nag screen for ~ 10 sec.
Remove Bill2's
Run Gtr2 in a window .
Minimize Process Lasso and Check all cores or even better core 3-8 for Gtr2.
Leave core 1 and 2 for windows and services
Set high priority and you are good to go!

If you still see low fps it must be your Gpu. Laptops can be tricky to get to use the Real Gpu.
Since your Cpu is just 2.1 GHz do not expect crazy high frames but would expect + 100 fps on graphics maxed out!
On Nvidia Control panel Select manage 3D settings on the menu and force the GTX 1650 on.
On the line Preferred graphics processor select Nvidia performance GPU.
the laptop will switch to the GTX and the fans will be loud.
Try run gtr2 again.?
If it is higher fps then back to the panel look for GTR2.exe in the program settings and there set use Nvidia GPU.
You can now go back and in general settings use Auto for general GPU.
The above is how I have to do on my laptop also everything I want to add or change settings for a program added.

60 opponents is a lot! What fps do you get with 30 Ai?

Thought a Ryzen 5 3550h had a Vega Gpu build in?. So why the GTX 1650?
bill2's process manager are build for older Cpus,
Should works with 4 Cores + 4 HT but it could be the issue?
Try 'Process lasso' free to use but do have a nag screen for ~ 10 sec.
Remove Bill2's
Run Gtr2 in a window .
Minimize Process Lasso and Check all cores or even better core 3-8 for Gtr2.
Leave core 1 and 2 for windows and services
Set high priority and you are good to go!

If you still see low fps it must be your Gpu. Laptops can be tricky to get to use the Real Gpu.
Since your Cpu is just 2.1 GHz do not expect crazy high frames but would expect + 100 fps on graphics maxed out!
On Nvidia Control panel Select manage 3D settings on the menu and force the GTX 1650 on.
On the line Preferred graphics processor select Nvidia performance GPU.
the laptop will switch to the GTX and the fans will be loud.
Try run gtr2 again.?
If it is higher fps then back to the panel look for GTR2.exe in the program settings and there set use Nvidia GPU.
You can now go back and in general settings use Auto for general GPU.
The above is how I have to do on my laptop also everything I want to add or change settings for a program added.

60 opponents is a lot! What fps do you get with 30 Ai?

Okay thank you. I shall try that. I will install the 10th anniversary patch. I have selected gtr2 to use gtx1650 in the nvidia control panel. Also 2.1ghz is my base clock. My boost clock is 3.7ghz. any way I can get that to work with this awesome game?

Okay thank you. I shall try that. I will install the 10th anniversary patch. I have selected gtr2 to use gtx1650 in the nvidia control panel. Also 2.1ghz is my base clock. My boost clock is 3.7ghz. any way I can get that to work with this awesome game?

It should work great! with your specs! But laptops can be a little tricky to get running optimal.
In Nvidia control settings find Power management Mode and select Optimal Performance
If you are always plugged in you can do it for global settings but on a laptop I would do it for the individual games/ apps.
Be aware if you do a clean driver update those settings will get reset.

Assuming you are on Windows 10 check your power settings.
Make use you are on Highest power.
This will likely drain the battery faster so you might want to switch fort and back as needed.

See Durge's post above! He got great results with lower specs Gpu than your setup!

It should work great! with your specs! But laptops can be a little tricky to get running optimal.
In Nvidia control settings find Power management Mode and select Optimal Performance
If you are always plugged in you can do it for global settings but on a laptop I would do it for the individual games/ apps.
Be aware if you do a clean driver update those settings will get reset.

Assuming you are on Windows 10 check your power settings.
Make use you are on Highest power.
This will likely drain the battery faster so you might want to switch fort and back as needed.

See Durge's post above! He got great results with lower specs Gpu than your setup!

I'm still having issues. I tried processor lasso but it didn't make a difference. All of the cores are not being used and cpu usage is low and fps is also low (especially at night). I saw durges post and unfortunately ryzen master does not support mobile cpus

Well Cpu usage are low as Gtr2 will not really use more than 2 cores and only really load one up.
With Msi afterburner you can see the load on the individual cores and the Gpu but I assume you are using it?
The combined cpu are not telling you much except it isn't using all cores but few even modern sims are.
Just tested Spa 2003 with 61 Opponent 10% rain.
~ 80 fps at start going up to ~ 120 fps after one round.
i7 770k @ 4.7 Ghz and a RTX 2070
Gpu load 40%
Cpu load where Gtr2.exe are running
Core 3 ~ 85-95%
Core 4 ` 20-25%
and the two HT ~ 15-30%

If your Cpu is running at 3.7 ghz we could assume you would see 50-60 fps?
Not sure why you want to run that many Ai opponents on your system anyway.
You would be better of with 15-30.

Well Cpu usage are low as Gtr2 will not really use more than 2 cores and only really load one up.
With Msi afterburner you can see the load on the individual cores and the Gpu but I assume you are using it?
The combined cpu are not telling you much except it isn't using all cores but few even modern sims are.
Just tested Spa 2003 with 61 Opponent 10% rain.
~ 80 fps at start going up to ~ 120 fps after one round.
i7 770k @ 4.7 Ghz and a RTX 2070
Gpu load 40%
Cpu load where Gtr2.exe are running
Core 3 ~ 85-95%
Core 4 ` 20-25%
and the two HT ~ 15-30%

If your Cpu is running at 3.7 ghz we could assume you would see 50-60 fps?
Not sure why you want to run that many Ai opponents on your system anyway.
You would be better of with 15-30.

Well the thing is on my old laptop it used to run those opponents at high fps and my old laptop was just 2.7ghz I don't think it's a hardware thing, rather just getting it to work

I think we should start from crash with basics :
- install directX 9 june 2010 from microsoft website
- make a new clean install in d:\GTR2-10-3 (you can have as many installs as you want)
- install 10th Anniversary PATCH 10.3
- right click on ALL EXE to set WinXP compatibility+tick Admin rights
- run GTR2CONFIG.EXE : select your resolution in 32bits and not 16bits, select directX9 and leave other options empty
- run GTR2_DEBUG.BAT, press any key and game will launch
- during game press CTRL+ALT+SUPP or ALT+TAB to access desk and click on bitsum icon, select GTR2.EXE process, set affinity to 2 cores or more, select "classify as a game" and set POWER MANAGEMENT to MAX POWER with dedicated "Bitsum High Perfomance mode" (I guess your laptop saves energy as Bjarne said)
- press ALT+TAB again to return to game and check

Forgot to say that you must tell your driver to use dedicated GPU with GTR2.EXE

Last edited:
I've got similar problems trying to run GTR2 on my GTX 1060 6GB/I5-7400 system, although issues only seem to creep in after completing a few laps in any race.
The first few I have very smooth and stable FPS, but after that I'm getting noticeable FPS drops when hitting/driving over kerbs particularly, with increased levels of screen tearing too.
I'm using Bill2's process manager, and have the 10th Anv patch installed along with the June 2010 DirectX software, if anyone could offer any assistance it would be much appreciated :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back