GTR2 16th Anniversary PATCH Part-1

Misc GTR2 16th Anniversary PATCH Part-1 16.0.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Have HQ Anniversary patch installed and am very much enjoying this new updated graphical world of GTR2. I've read the instructions and I'm under the impression that I don't need to install the 4GB patch as it's built in to the HQ Anniversary patch I presume - is this correct - or have I misunderstood the instructions.

@everyone - if you've never tried this sim' then you're missing out. If you want mods and stuff for it RD is not the best port of call - google GTR2 mods. Maybe a car/track mod thread would be good on here if RD allow me to talk about mods without links...

Last edited:
Indeed 4gb patch + official simbin patch 1.1 are already included in hq anniversary patch so you do not need to apply them again : I know that many people tell to install both but it is a recommendation for stock game only.

The best cars/tracks mod source for gtr2 is esport-racing...but how long will it last ? GTR2 sources are closing along the years sadly, so try to grab the best mods you like as you can because the author SiGi is silent for a long moment, so website can close at any time from one month to another : this was the case for nogripracing, one day it vanished for good without warning :(

Last edited:
4Gb patch - okay, thanks!

Yep, I've been downloading like a man possessed from esport-racing but yeah, gone through hundreds upon hundreds of car and track mods in the last month or so and have narrowed down the best (IMO) but there is still a few other renowned ones I'm yet to try. What I have also noticed is there are tracks which are less than 20mb in size and look really good by today's standards! But yes, noticed the last update on esport - racing was a little while ago. Good website. :)

Hey guys I had a question. I have noticed that when I use the digital NoCD exe(one which supports crew chief and VR) the headlights start flickering on the mod tracks. When I use the other exe(reloaded). This is resolved. Any fix to make headlights work properly on mod tracks with digital NoCD exe?

Indeed 4gb patch + official simbin patch 1.1 are already included in hq anniversary patch so you do not need to apply them again : I know that many people tell to install both but it is a recommendation for stock game only.

The best cars/tracks mod source for gtr2 is esport-racing...but how long will it last ? GTR2 sources are closing along the years sadly, so try to grab the best mods you like as you can because the author SiGi is silent for a long moment, so website can close at any time from one month to another : this was the case for nogripracing, one day it vanished for good without warning :(
That would be a nightmare. I'm really sad. I don't see mods being uploaded to that site anymore and not a lot of mods being made either which is a real shame considering gtr2 is excellent for modding and single player(waaaay better than assetto corsa for single player). I just wish there was some way of pulling ppl and content creators back into this wonderful game. Modern sims suck for offline racing.

Hey guys I had a question. I have noticed that when I use the digital NoCD exe(one which supports crew chief and VR) the headlights start flickering on the mod tracks. When I use the other exe(reloaded). This is resolved. Any fix to make headlights work properly on mod tracks with digital NoCD exe?
all you need to do is install CC plugin. Plugin not only fixes headlight flicker, but fixes fence/tree flickering completely and many other problems. In many regards, including visuals, updates game far beyond level available with CD/NOCD version. It also allows bigger grids/higher quality mods. For details, see the plugin manual. Also, see this overview:

And yes, that plugin is all about offline, precisely due to the reason you mentioned in your other post :)

Last edited:
if you do not want to use CrewChief plugin then you must use and update both the HQ FOV Defviews + HQ PLR with Shovas FFB each time you change EXE version because clipplanes settings are totally different between NOCD and DIGITAL versions (I clearly wrote it in addendum in GTR2_SETUP) : the flickering will be fixed too like the CrewChief plugin does.
By the way,
- if you want to use CrewChief then install digital exe
- if you do not want CrewChief then install nocd
Indeed using digital exe without CrewChief plugin is a nonsense because the digital exe adds lots of bugs that only CrewChief can fixe (but some still remain like Targa Florio full details memory bug).

Last edited:
if you do not want to use CrewChief plugin then you must use and update both the HQ FOV Defviews + HQ PLR with Shovas FFB each time you change EXE version because clipplanes settings are totally different between NOCD and DIGITAL versions (I clearly wrote it in addendum in GTR2_SETUP) : the flickering will be fixed too like the CrewChief plugin does.
By the way,
- if you want to use CrewChief then install digital exe
- if you do not want CrewChief then install nocd
Indeed using digital exe without CrewChief plugin is a nonsense because the digital exe adds lots of bugs that only CrewChief can fixe (but some still remain like Targa Florio full details memory bug).
Can you help? I installed crew chief and crew chief plugin using gtr2_setup.cmd. But the game doesnt launch. Previously I had game set to compatibility mode for windows 8 but I had to remove that for crewchief plugin but now the game doesn't start. When I double click black screens comes up and then just goes back to desktop. Game doesnt start. Any fix?

Can you help? I installed crew chief and crew chief plugin using gtr2_setup.cmd. But the game doesnt launch. Previously I had game set to compatibility mode for windows 8 but I had to remove that for crewchief plugin but now the game doesn't start. When I double click black screens comes up and then just goes back to desktop. Game doesnt start. Any fix?
Did you run gtr2config.exe after installing the plugin?
Make sure your AV does not block CC plugin binaries.

I only have windows defender and yes I did run gtr2 config and removed all compatibility settings
what is your OS/CPU/GPU?

If you are sure Defender is not blocking Plugin files (I have my Games folder excluded from Defender, so I have no idea if it blocks Plugin or not), then the only suggestion I have is make sure all the files are the correct ones.

PS: there are also some signs that Plugin does not work well with Integrated GPUs, so if you can disable Integrated GPU you may want to try that. And, report back please.

Last edited:
.... GTR2 sources are closing along the years sadly, so try to grab the best mods you like as you can because the author SiGi is silent for a long moment, so website can close at any time from one month to another : this was the case for nogripracing, one day it vanished for good without warning :(
I probably have 100gig of GTR2 stuff - cars, mods, tracks, sounds, etc. - dating back to the last days of RSC, but am loathe to upload anything because of that old bugaboo, permissions. I do not claim authorship of any of this (beyond some sounds and skins, and a few tweaked physics) but can guarantee if I upload a mod or a track someone is bound to scream "Did you get permission!?" This would not be an issue except I daresay that in the majority of cases these mods, if they ever included contact information, that information is outdated (I have old files out there with Compuserve addresses, lol).

So most likely everything from nog rip is still around, just in the hands of people like me. It would be nice to have a single repository where we could make it all available again.

(Whether Nogrip vanished "for good" is unknown. The original founder sold it to a Hungarian holding company, whose business was apparently buying popular sites and flooding them with marketing to generate revenue. After several years Nogrip must not have been profitable enough so they pulled the plug on it; whether it still exists, buried on a drive, or whether it was deleted is not known. The sad part is its internet valuation around the time it disappeared was a mere $16k; on another forum several people expressed interest in buying it just to archive the forums and libraries, but emails to the holding company elicited no response ...either they are not interested in selling it or it no longer exists.)

what is your OS/CPU/GPU?

If you are sure Defender is not blocking Plugin files (I have my Games folder excluded from Defender, so I have no idea if it blocks Plugin or not), then the only suggestion I have is make sure all the files are the correct ones.

PS: there are also some signs that Plugin does not work well with Integrated GPUs, so if you can disable Integrated GPU you may want to try that. And, report back please.
OS - Windows 10 21h2, cpu- ryzen 5 3550h, gpu-gtx1650. Both gtr2.exe and gtr2config set to run with nvidia gpu. Issue is game doesn't run unless compatibility mode is switched on. Even if I set compatibility to windows 8 the game runs. But to run with crew chief compatibility mode has to be switched off. I have tried reinstalling as well. What happens is I double click gtr2.exe and it starts and then black screen and then back to desktop. Any Solutions? I really wanna use crew chief plugin enhancements

Just for precision, I'm 100% sure that admin rights are not to be used for GTR2.exe when using Crew Chief ....
anyway I'm nearly sure that they are needed for the GTR2Config.exe

That's what I always do when changing config for one of my 2 monitors ( 21/9 2560/1080 75Hz or 21/9 3440/1440 100Hz ) and it always works perfectly immediately.

I don't see where you tested a fresh GTR2 ? ;)

Installed GTR2 Steam to my main sim tower ( old gmotor is on my 3400G )
set compat W7 and admin for all users
Ran GTR2 once check
Ran CrewChief ( I keep a old version installed in TOOLS runs from a fresh Windows )
Started CC updated to latest version installed back to TOOLS not C:\
Re-start, downloaded the 3 packs
picked a name
added GTR2 location
re-started CC clicked Start
Started GTR2 through Steam
Ran quick race with ai control ( not at rig )
Worked fine as far as I can tell
So try a fresh GTR2
Always keep a backup of a fresh GTR2 install (before anything is added)

P.S. Jempy right , I said I had changed admin but when I just checked I had not

Last edited:
I don't see where you tested a fresh GTR2 ? ;)

Installed GTR2 Steam to my main sim tower ( old gmotor is on my 3400G )
set compat W7 and admin for all users
Ran GTR2 once check
Ran CrewChief ( I keep a old version installed in TOOLS runs from a fresh Windows )
Started CC updated to latest version installed back to TOOLS not C:\
Re-start, downloaded the 3 packs
picked a name
added GTR2 location
re-started CC clicked Start
Started GTR2 through Steam
Ran quick race with ai control ( not at rig )
Worked fine as far as I can tell
So try a fresh GTR2
Always keep a backup of a fresh GTR2 install (before anything is added)

P.S. Jempy right , I said I had changed admin but when I just checked I had not
Yes but I am also using gtr2 hq anniversary patch so my exe is the digital exe from hq anniversary patch. Could that be causing the issue? My main issue is the game just doesn't launch without compatibility mode on. A black screen shows up and then back to desktop.

Did you run the GTR2Config.exe with admin rights after installing the HQ Anniv digital exe ?
If not, I guess this might be the reason for your problem afterwards.

I'm using that without any problem .... GTR2Config.exe with admin rights and GTR2.exe without them. I also launch Crew Chief and start GTR2 plugin first before launching GTR2.exe ( with a shortcut ).
NB but even without running CC GTR2 is running also fine ( but without all CC advantages )

Last edited:
For my record: even if it's the first time you launch GTR2 after choosing in the HQ Patch the digital exe ?
after plugin is installed it removes the need for admin rights. Fix is enabled by default, so even if CrewChief.ini is missing, it will (should, fingers crossed :D) apply. Until plugin is installed, it's all good old dance of compat values, admins etc.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%