GTR2, GT Legends, and modern gamepads

Hey all

Up until now I've been using an Xbox 360 wired gamepad for my sim racing needs. I use it with the XBCD 360 driver/app as this allows me to separate the triggers and seems to make the analog sticks less sensitive compared to the stock M$ driver.

Problem is my controller has developed a dodgy cable, and the controller is discontinued. 2nd hand one's seem to be reasonably available but I don't trust them, I could end up with one and be back to square one within weeks - dodgy cable again...

I've tried cheap knock off's and the two I've tried have a deadzone issue.

I've tried using a PS3 Dualshock pad using motioninjoy and SCP drivers, but you cannot separate the triggers.

Windows 7 only BTW, I've not upgraded to Win 10 yet.

So, I'm wondering...

...would anyone here have any knowledge of how an Xbox One pad works (if at all) in GTR2/GT Legends or even a PS4 pad? Is tthe analog stick as twitchy as the Xbox 360's is using stock drivers? Can a PS4 pad be used with separate triggers?

Thanks in advance.

...would anyone here have any knowledge of how an Xbox One pad works (if at all) in GTR2/GT Legends or even a PS4 pad? Is tthe analog stick as twitchy as the Xbox 360's is using stock drivers? Can a PS4 pad be used with separate triggers?

Thanks in advance.
Rob, I've got a rare moment to comment tonight. I have been using an Xbox one controller wireless through bluetooth and also tried with a wireless adaptor that was bundled with Oculus and a controller, using windows 10 now. There is no problem running the controller on Win 7 but I think the wireless adapter or bluetooth required more work to find a driver solution. So corded is how that worked for me. I've experimented with the DS3 and even run Wii controllers for a laugh. The One is a nice controller.
Definitely works with GTR2 settings on full sim, without driver aids, presents a more responsive slightly twitchy feeling. If you run with driver aids its much smoother and thus easier to turn in etc. Haven't decided which I prefer.
Power and Glory too! Can't speak of GT Legends, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd mention also I enjoy GTR2 on my motion sim with my old G27 but lately on the 4k in the living room wireless Xbox one/GTR2 is pretty cool.

Scott

Rob, I've got a rare moment to comment tonight. I have been using an Xbox one controller wireless through bluetooth and also tried with a wireless adaptor that was bundled with Oculus and a controller, using windows 10 now. There is no problem running the controller on Win 7 but I think the wireless adapter or bluetooth required more work to find a driver solution. So corded is how that worked for me. I've experimented with the DS3 and even run Wii controllers for a laugh. The One is a nice controller.
Definitely works with GTR2 settings on full sim, without driver aids, presents a more responsive slightly twitchy feeling. If you run with driver aids its much smoother and thus easier to turn in etc. Haven't decided which I prefer.
Power and Glory too! Can't speak of GT Legends, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd mention also I enjoy GTR2 on my motion sim with my old G27 but lately on the 4k in the living room wireless Xbox one/GTR2 is pretty cool.

Scott
hey, I know this reply is two years old already, but did you manage to get the vibration working on the Xbox one controller?

I still have an old sony ps2 dual shock 2 controller with pc adapter.
Rumble effects (vibration) on curbs in GT legends feel good. Unfortunately no rumble with xinput certified drivers on xbox 360 controller.
PS2-Sticks have a lighter feel compared to xbox360 controller, which is good for steering. (sensitivity 50% = neutral I believe)
The left analog trigger (L2) on ps2-controller is just good enough and intuitiv for the clutch for manual transmission.
Throttle and brake are on the right analog stick, which is also more relaxed than driving with triggers.
Upshift = facebutton (x), downshift = right shoulder button (R1) on the right hand, which keeps the left hand free for steering and clutch.
Playing with clutch on a gamepad enriches a game in my opinion.
Other games which can be played this way are Gpl demo 2020 or toca race driver 3 and project cars 2 demo.
Vibration is practically non-existant in these games to my experience.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%