GTR2.exe just deleted itself..?

GTR2.exe just deleted itself as soon as I open it and I have no clue why. Can't launch it from steam, taskbar, or desktop.

Edit: An even bigger problem is that I can't paste my backup into the folder, as seen in the image.
1655616365058.png

1655610753674.png
1655610757940.png

Attachments

• 1655616328290.png
    1655616328290.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Permissions issue, you need to give your account full permissions for the folder(s) involved or windows won't give access. As for how these got changed, who knows, but it happens. As a general rule never install to any "Program Files" folder, this just aggravates the problem.

Permissions issue, you need to give your account full permissions for the folder(s) involved or windows won't give access. As for how these got changed, who knows, but it happens. As a general rule never install to any "Program Files" folder, this just aggravates the problem.
And how do I give full perms?

Hopefully this helps, but nothing is certain with windows; be sure to do this from admin account, or you may get that irritating message "you do not have permission to change permissions".

Hopefully this helps, but nothing is certain with windows; be sure to do this from admin account, or you may get that irritating message "you do not have permission to change permissions".

I am on my admin account, and all permissions are on for the file. Still cannot paste my backup .exe into the file.

Edit: But for some reason, I cannot turn on Special Permissions.

Last edited:
Check that your folder is not READ ONLY (right mouse click on folder to check) then make a zip/7z archive of your gtr2 game folder then extract your game archive at the root of one of your drives like c:\gtr2 or c:\Games\GTR2

if you installed from DVD then DO NOT KEEP DEFAULT INSTALL PATH IN C:\Program Files\... but change it to c:\GTR2 or c:\Games\GTR2

Other than that it could be a bad sector on your drive (you can run CHKDSK to check) or a virus/malware maybe

Last edited:
I guess you installed GTR2 in C: drive in Program Files or in Steam installed there
You'd better install it at the root of this disk or in another disk if it's not the only one

Strangely I remember problems I had long ago: copy - paste or extract immediately there didn't work .... but copying from another temp folder to this folder selecting the files, using right-click mouse and dragging the files to copy them in the destination place .... worked well.

I never understood the difference but that worked.

EDIT: I was typing when @GTR233 posted his answer :roflmao:

Last edited:
Check that your folder is not READ ONLY (right mouse click on folder to check) then make a zip/7z archive of your gtr2 game folder then extract your game archive at the root of one of your drives like c:\gtr2 or c:\Games\GTR2

if you installed from DVD then DO NOT KEEP DEFAULT INSTALL PATH IN C:\Program Files\... but change it to c:\GTR2 or c:\Games\GTR2

Other than that it could be a bad sector on your drive (you can run CHKDSK to check) or a virus/malware maybe
Making the folder an archive actually worked! Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver!

:)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%