GTR2 DX11

There are an option to get Gtr2 and GTL for that matter to run in DX11!
Download the latest DgVoodoo dll from here
http://dege.freeweb.hu/
This is a dx8 to dx11 wrapper.
So start config and select dx8.
You do not have to use the setup just copy the d3d8.dll into the root folder
Now start Gtr2!
It looks much better and runs more smoothly. Even on weaker computers the shadow will not course a huge dip in fps.
You do not need a Dx11 Gpu, a Dx10 Gpu will do just fine.
You can add Reshade as dx10+ to gtr2.
That way you can use or keep using XD.
Dege the developer are working on a Dx9 to Dx11 wrapper that for now is just using shader model 1.x and gmotor games are using SM 2.0
I have started to rewrite the shaders to 1.1/ 1.4 hope to have something working after the weekend.

There are some dx8 shader missing that gets downgraded like the sky and a faults in a couple of others so thee are a lot of emap reflections in some cars.
But it all runs well and overall looks great and worth a try.
Also try GTL .

NO hassle just open the zip archive and from sub folder MS copy the d3d8.dll to the gtr2 root folder.
And then as written set config to dx8 and be surprised how great our old games can run and look for that matter.

I copied the d3d8.dll to GTR2 root folder, and set GTR2config.exe to DX8, no antialiasing.
Then...nothing happened, I did not see any additional graphic effect. The comparison is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_7hOwBgWhMe2xqOStM2OzJdWUv2Cj_4-
Do you see anything different from DX8?

[QUOTE=" FAQ of dgVoodoo" ]
Q: But wait, at all, how do I know if my game is being rendered through dgVoodoo?
A: ..........(skiped).... For DirectX games dgVoodoo tags its own small logo to the right-bottom corner. If you see that logo then the game is surely rendered through dgVoodoo.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't see the dgVoodoo small logo, it means dgVoodoo not work to me. I will give try tomorrow.

Last edited:
My guess is you are running dx9 on both tests.
Run the config as admin That way it changes the config.ini file in the root folder
Then run gtr2.exe as admin that way it uses the local config
You will see the difference!
There are no Dgvoodoo logo unless you turn it on with the config. Only in developer versions
If you are on W10 and Nvidia GPU set dx9 compatible as "Dragon III' you should do that regardless if you use this dll or not.
Gives much better AA and steady picture

My guess is you are running dx9 on both tests.
Run the config as admin That way it changes the config.ini file in the root folder
Then run gtr2.exe as admin that way it uses the local config
You will see the difference!
There are no Dgvoodoo logo unless you turn it on with the config. Only in developer versions
If you are on W10 and Nvidia GPU set dx9 compatible as "Dragon III' you should do that regardless if you use this dll or not.
Gives much better AA and steady picture

I put D2D8.dll, D3Dlmm.dll and DDraw.dll to GTR2 root directory, Today I executed GTR2Config.exe (set it to DX8) and run GTR2.exe as administer. There is no Dgvoodoo logo in GTR2 still, and the graphic quality just look like DX8 (I am sure it's not DX9, I have compared the screenshots with DX9).
Did I miss any procedure? Did you use "dgVoodooCpl.exe" to make it?

Thank you~

Note: Windows7, AMD radeon HD7730.

There is now a d3d9.dll with will run Gtr2 and GTL in normal dx9 mode.
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP53.zip
To make it run use open dgvoodooWIP53 and copy
DgVoodoocpl and dgVoodoo.conf to gtr2 root folder
Then open the MS folder and copy the d3d9.dll to gtr2 root folder.
Run dgvoodooncpl
On the directX tab select video card: dgvoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card
On Vram select: 1024 MB or less if your card get less!
You can set resolution but it is not needed.
Then click Apply.
Now run Gtr2Config as admin that points it to the new d3d9.dll
and start gtr2 as normal.
You will see dgVoodoo watermark in lower left corner if it all works.
You can run the dgvoodoocpl again and un-select that if you want to get ride of that watermark.
With the really large tracks there is a slowdown due to the current 1024MB limited but most tracks will run smoother with higher fps. Cars got better reflection and in general there are a more clear display.
As above you can add Reshade in Dx11
I hope to make a new gfx with some changes to the grass and tree shaders to get a nicer reflection but for now the standard GFX works fine.

Hi~Bjarne Hansen:
I saw dgVoodoo watermark on right-lower corner after following your new guidance above.
But the graphic seems no significant difference. I take some screenshots to show what I mean:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mVRGZq0BYKVeOrWCkuUNp5HR7jwpknjD
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bp0VK4QGsmmJg3SsOnaTuIcf5JwA7D-2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1arWSAYi7R1ymnLyQzoOi6dpAw-IPWgld

Anything wrong?
Thank you

Note: I found dgvoodoo make more power consumption(about +10W? I did not remember), GTR2 would have FPS drops (under 60 fps) sometimes.

Do not know your HW spec but if the fps are 60 in Gtr2 they must be very low?
The dll converts the dx9 shaders to Dx11 shaders so load will go from CPU to Gpu.
For me the display got more clear and sharp. Special if you use the MSAA build into the dll.
I am quite surprised you do not see any difference !

hmm, gtr 2 uses already dx9 and it runs perfectly with win 10 and reshade on my rig. what is the advantage do use dgvoodoo ? just the use of dx11 shaders ?
would like to know more about any advantages like useful special dx11 effects (images ?) and the fps impact. thanks!

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 215 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years