GTR2 CTDs no matter what I do

Hey everyone, so I'm trying to get back into GTR2 after a few years but I can't seem to get it up and running on my laptop which is really puzzling me.

Firstly, my laptop's specs:

AMD R7 5800U
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050Ti
16GB RAM (LPDDR5 I think)

I already have GT Legends working, so GTR2 should work generally the same, I know the computer is capable of running it. However, when I launch the game, I make it into the menu as normally, but trying to set up a race in any mode causes a CTD. No matter whether I choose race weekend, open practice, driving school, or whatever else, it always crashes before I even get the chance to change any of the session settings.

I have been trying to look online for fixes but I haven't found very many, and the ones that I have found haven't worked out. Currently, I have GTR2.exe, GTR2Config.exe, and sudo.exe all running as administrator with compatibility mode for Windows 7. Please advise.

If you dont know how to get in bios.
There a 2 ways.

One. Using the windows settings and i think its the page about windows restore option page
There is a advanced tab to rebooth the pc in to bios. Just google it.

2nd way is when you start up your pc/laptop press del button or f2 or f10/f11 on post, the screen between black and windows logo

It depends on what manufacture your mobo is.

Most times if your quick enough you can see on post the right bottum press button (f2 f10 f11 or del or maybe ins) to enter bios

Last edited:
So if I understand this well, you try to launch GTR2 using this Radeon APU graphics ????
If that's so .... that's the reason why it crashes .... you have to choose your 3050Ti in GTR2 graphics settings.

I don't remember how you can manage to do so, but someone else might explain it to you.
So GTR2 won't work with the APU graphics, but GT Legends will? Because that game, which does run properly, also uses the Radeon graphics (according to GTLConfig at least), so I kind of assumed that GTR2 was the same way.
Either way, if this is what the problem was then I appreciate everybody for their help, I hope I wasn't dumb enough to kill anyone's brain cells to a major degree..

This is an answer done by @GTR233 for a similar ( but not the same ) problem:

On laptop you need to go in your video driver panel and set dedicated gpu (if your laptop has got one) instead of motherboard built-in graphics

I can't tell you more about it as I never had a laptop for games so I don't know why it should work for GTLegend and not GTR2 .... but with what you have on your PC, there should obviously not be a problem to run it.

Last edited:
This is an answer done by @GTR233 for a similar ( but not the same ) problem:

On laptop you need to go in your video driver panel and set dedicated gpu (if your laptop has got one) instead of motherboard built-in graphics

I can't tell you more about it as I never had a laptop for games so I don't know why it should work for GTLegend and not GTR2 .... but with what you have on your PC, there should obviously not be a problem to run it.
I see. I actually remember someone on the SimBin team saying something about how GT Legends used a hybrid between the engines from GTR and GTR2, which he referred to as gMotor 1.5 as opposed to gMotor 2, so maybe this has something to do with that

@Wormyyy,
Risking being the Captain Obvious, but here's one more thing I forgot to mention.

Clean GTR2 crashes on session load depending on what car categories you choose, so start with one car/private practice and try different cars/tracks. I never bothered investigating which car it is as I don't use base content, but of course, that and million of other bugs is fixed in the HQ Anniversary patch :)

If this is what you are indeed hitting, you should see hints of "why" in the trace file.

Last edited:
Risking being the Captain Obvious, but here's one more thing I forgot to mention.

Clean GTR2 crashes on session load depending on what car categories you choose, so start with one car/private practice and try different cars/tracks
Lol don't worry, any help is appreciated. However, when I click on 'open practice' on the main menu, that's when the game crashes, so I don't even get a chance to set up the car and track.

Also, I tried installing CrewChiefV4 as someone suggested, and now the game doesn't try to launch at all, it just gives me the error message: The application wa unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

This happens no matter how I configure the .exe files, so I guess we're even further backwards now. I already tried verifying the game files a few times, gonna try reinstalling again. I also get that same error message on my completely unmodified GT Legends installation, even though CrewChiefV4 doesn't even support that game, however, my modified GT Legends installation still works normally, so I have no ****ing clue what's going on.

I also haven't tried to force the GPU yet, I still have to try that. Sorry if I forgot any other suggestions, but damn this thing REALLY doesn't want to work it seems.

If you really want simracing..
Dont go for a laptop.

Yes you have laptops specially for gaming (alienware etc) but thats still big dollars talking.

A desktop pc have so much more options, and the money well,

(Pc for gtr2 and some other older games like assetto corsa, rfactor 1 and 2)
I build a ryzen pc for only 600 euros
Its watercooled 32gb ram, 1070 gtx
R2700x 4.2ghz ,M2 ssd of 512 gb As main hdd and 3 other hdd's
Grizzly termo past.

And it never gets hotter then 45 -50 degrees celsius on cpu and gpu 55-60.

If you really want simracing..
Dont go for a laptop.

Yes you have laptops specially for gaming (alienware etc) but thats still big dollars talking.

A desktop pc have so much more options, and the money well,

(Pc for gtr2 and some other older games like assetto corsa, rfactor 1 and 2)
I build a ryzen pc for only 600 euros
Its watercooled 32gb ram, 1070 gtx
R2700x 4.2ghz ,M2 ssd of 512 gb As main hdd and 3 other hdd's
Grizzly termo past.

And it never gets hotter then 45 -50 degrees celsius on cpu and gpu 55-60.
I know, I know. I have a PC back home, 3900x, 3080FE, 32GB RAM, but I moved out and I'm now in a college dorm so I've got to work with what I've got while I'm out here.

I've now tried to force using the 3050Ti for GTR2 and still the exact same crash, so that's everything I can think of. I really do appreciate you for all your help even if it still didn't end up working, and the same to everyone else who gave advice.

It seems your laptop is rather new and I suppose you're on the latest Win10 version.
In fact the game is starting but races are not starting .... there's obviously something needed that GTR2 cannot find or cannot do.
( and if it happens by just clicking for choosing the session settings, a trace file will not tell anything in this case ).

Where did you install GTR2 ? should there be another administration rights problem involved ... for example a folder where you have no single rights for writing or modifying files ?
Is GTLegend installed at the same place or not ? .... if it is not .... you know what you might try now !

Last edited:
Well the structure of his ryzen 5 series is way different then a ryzen 2 is or a intel in this case it can be the fact his laptop cpu in combi with the 30xx is too new for gtr2 to work.
Is the only hardware thing i can think of why it have issues.

I know for a fact that sometimes you have to click on the vertical alliasing
In gtr2 config otherwise with now days tech you have such high fps that gtr2 cant handle,

In my case i had a fps of 3000.
With vertical alliasing on its now dropped at the screen refresh rate.

Saves power and heat.
But also with fps that high it can make software like gtr2 very unstable.

You have probably in your menu a fps that high that gtr2 dont like.

Thats the only thing i can think of if you dont have vertical alliasing enabled in gtr2 config.

On my pc the nvidia menu option didnt work as good as the vertical alliasing of gtr2 them self for unkown reason. It did let gtr2 crash many times and now i dont have any crashes yeah only when i messed things up with modding

So try that one if you dont have it on allready.

Also set it so directx 9 not on auto
And maxed out everything with in the gtr2 config.

Instead of using nvidia inspector or experiance or the other nvidia option menu

Last edited:
Where did you install GTR2 ? should there be another administration rights problem involved ... for example a folder where you have no single rights for writing or modifying files ?
Is GTLegend installed at the same place or not ? .... if it is not .... you know what you might try now !
Both games are installed to the default Steam folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common) and I'm running both games as administrator, I don't know why the game wouldn't have perms...although now that you mention it, the error code 0xc0000005 I believe has something to do with a memory access violation. I'm going to try and install it in a new directory..
I know for a fact that sometimes you have to click on the vertical alliasing
In gtr2 config otherwise with now days tech you have such high fps that gtr2 cant handle
I believe you mean vertical sync, or VSync, which I HAVE actually been enabling through the config, as well as DX9 for good measure, so unfortunately it's not that either.

None of my installs are in C:/Program Files ....
They are in another disk or were at the C:/ root when I just had 1 HD

I remember a moment long ago when just unzipping directly in a C:/.......Steamapps/common folder was not always done .... only unzip somewhere else and manually move the files worked for sure.

None of my installs are in C:/Program Files ....
They are in another disk or were at the C:/ root when I just had 1 HD

I remember a moment long ago when just unzipping directly in a C:/.......Steamapps/common folder was not always done .... only unzip somewhere else and manually move the files worked for sure.
yup..I'm going to put it in C:\GTR2 and see what happens, I still don't know why GT Legends would work from in the Steam folder but GTR2 wouldn't but we'll see

Did you check where your personal Userdata folder is created ? are they well in the game itself and not in the Documents ?

NB: If GTLegend can work, I don't even think that GTR2 cannot.
There's surely a detail somewhere missing or wrong

Last edited:
I hope that they don't interfere with one another.
Rename the ones in your Documents or save them elsewhere before deleting them.... they shouldn't be there any longer if you are well starting GTR2 with admin rights.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 252 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 168 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 230 13.8%