GTR2 and Win 7 64 Bit

Chaps,

Just wondered if anyone has experienced any issues with GTR2 and Win 7?

I have a new build PC arriving at the weekend, running Win 7 64 Bit and wondered if there were any pitfalls I need to try and avoid.

Current machine is Win XP 32 bit, but is now over 5 years old and beginning to show its age, lol, even though GTR2 runs OK.

:)

I recently moved to win7 64 os and was nervous about gtr2 and other older programs having issues but so far everything is working just fine. Gtr2 might even run a bit better because of the extra memory avaliable (4gb compared to 2gb in xp).

Oh, one thing in noticed was that win7 saves some grt2 files in your documents folder. The main thing for me was that I have the gtr2.exe to save a trace file and that trace file was saved in the documents folder instead of the main gtr2 folder like it was with xp.

Other than that I have no issues.

It can happen that after the installation some things will not work here and there in your game, also if you selected "always run as administrator" (make sure to select that btw, or probably your game will not start). The only thing you've to do is to restart the PC, thing not needed with Win XP.

Other thing: you'll now have 4GB Ram, but probably, with very large grids, you'll have some crashes due to "runtime errors".

Download and install "CFF Explorer", open with it the file "GTR2.exe" (it should appear "open with CFF explorer" if you right click on GTR2.exe) go to "file header" -> "click here" -> "app can handle >2GB address space" -> "OK". Then, save and overwrite the original file.

Now, you can run very large grids, with full details (if your graphic card allows that) without problems.

Think I sorted the XD issue in Online races. Join a server with drivers last night with no CTD :) I was running the Map plugin too, which was very good, but at this point am happy to have XD + Online going :)

I run win7 on x64 without any problems. In the beginning i had to run it in the XP compatible-modus. Don't no why, but now it seems to be running just fine for serveral month.

Be sure you make a fresh installation.

(EDIT)

XP compatible modus; because GTR2 didn't start up @ beginning. After fresh installation it did.
After that i had some problems with my steering device (G25) and the internet connection to the lobby room.
But i think Win7 doesn't occur this problem.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 322 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 222 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 165 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.5%