News GTR Is Set For A Revival

It will be like many such projects - the developers will want to create a true sim, as realistic as feasible for modern PCs, but this will appeal to a limited market of hardcore simracers; the bean-counters will insist on a simplified game (arcade racer) to appeal to a wide market (the "play for a month and abandon for the next game" crowd), and the true simracers will avoid it like the plague.

Or you get a small team of programmers who establish job security with a "perpetual beta" project - a steady stream of "the latest build", "most recent version", or "newest release", while never actually finalizing the program.

I have previously stated I believe GTR2 was, and is, popular because it gave us everything in one well balanced package - single and multi class racing, single race or championship season, sprint/endurance/24hr races, day/night cycles, variable weather, good graphics, good sound, good physics, good FFB, and easily modded. Every sim since then has excelled in a couple of these areas but been deficient, if not completely lacking, in others.

Like GPL, GTR2 set the bar high, a new version will have to be impressive indeed, in all those areas, to make me abandon the old for the new.

Ian's previous "no compromise" had no pitstops, fuel usage or tyre wear.

I'll be holding off on the hype til I see money where the mouth is.
As you should with all software. Dating back to the Xbox 360 years I recall people getting burned on game after game, having paid full price plus extra for the deluxe edition of a game that had a week's worth of staying power.

As you should with all software. Dating back to the Xbox 360 years I recall people getting burned on game after game, having paid full price plus extra for the deluxe edition of a game that had a week's worth of staying power.

I miss the simple days of getting the bus to the shops and buying a game... you know a game that was done and dusted and worked, and didn't promise update after update and fix after fix, I blame the interweb for allowing folks to sell stuff pixel by pixel

I miss the simple days of getting the bus to the shops and buying a game... you know a game that was done and dusted and worked, and didn't promise update after update and fix after fix, I blame the interweb for allowing folks to sell stuff pixel by pixel

First I blame Evil Alliance, er, Electronic Arts. Years ago they openly stated they would do their best to kill the market in used games, "every sale of a used game costs us the sale of a new game". Well, by that logic we should outlaw used car lots, used book stores, thrift shops, flea markets, and yard sales ....not to mention half of ebay and Craig's List.

So now most games have "digital distribution", a download/install in one step. but you never have a hard copy to archive. And if you would prefer an older version of something, well, you're SOL. My PC will not run the latest version of P3D but it will run the previous version, except I cannot get the previous version because there was never a hard copy, only a download (so, to P3D and other such developers, when I get a new system I will still not buy your product).

I recall when there were demos of games, you could play one level, or play for 30 minutes, or drive one car on one track; if you liked it you bought the full game. I look at many games today and feel they are selling what years ago would have been a demo for full price, then nickel and dime the player to death with "DLC". I was interested in a railroad simulator a few years ago; for the $65 base price you got two trains and two tracks. BFD. But there were hundreds of trains, cars, locomotives, tracks, scenery, available as DLC (someone in the forum computed $9000 to buy everything); with this much available content certainly more could have been included with the base game. I've seen recent race sims marketed the same way. But not to me.

Most of my gaming dollar the past few years has gone to those "horrible" flea markets and yard sales and ebay. Found some overlooked jewels, found some junk, but in either case I have something to keep or pass on.

To be fair I enjoyed playing PC1 and 2, still do. I for one will looking forward to the development of GTR.

However as a jaded old fart, I will be waiting for unbiased reviews from Race Department and a few small channels on Youtube. You simply can not trust mainstream media and the many many shills on youtube!

Ideally a demo would be nice so I could make up my own mind.

Modding would be cool, though I doubt that will be a thing in a few years.

Good news from SimBin crew.
as a fan of GTR2 (my favorite sim as we speak :)
The long awaited title is finally revived.... hopefully in near future :D
If the new game use an improved GTR2/ISI game engine then welcome.

For cars, personally I would love to see a full season rather then just some random cars put together like in recent games.
For example, GT1 cars from the 97~99" alongside GT2 class.
But no worries, there are still plenty of cars not featured in modern racing games so we can expect some good content.
And finally, perhaps the game comes with story mode, where player can sign contracts with teams to compete in championships and an auto save system please.
And one more thing... hope they will include car templates too for extended modding pleasure. thank you. :O_o:

Someone found out they didn't even bother to buy the logo.

They took it from here with the watermark and modified it :

Also no GTR Revival trademark was registered so it's still up for grab by anyone.

It sure doesn't look very professional so far...

Someone found out they didn't even bother to buy the logo.

They took it from here with the watermark and modified it :

Also no GTR Revival trademark was registered so it's still up for grab by anyone.

It sure doesn't look very professional so far...
"GTR Revival" is likely just a working title.

I have to say I'm late to the GTR2 crowd, but I'm also a big new old fan. Been enjoying it quite a bit and it runs really well.
With a revival I hope older content is not forgotten. Not a huge fan of current cars, and prefer something that puts a premium on older vehicles.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back