GTR Evolution Re-Installation Problem

GTR Evolution Re-Installation Problem
Bram - See full description of history & Re-Installation problem here:
http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showpost.php?p=3919890&postcount=1

No one has responded with any solutions thus far. I get a Steam mini-dump (or two) every time I attempt to re-install GTR:E + Race07 ONline version from U.S. retail GTR:E (+ bundled Race07) DVD, and the installation+Activation FAILS. Attached is my most recent minidump.

Attachments

• Steam__621739__2008_11_13T2_33_54C40546.zip
    26.1 KB · Views: 209
As advised in some Steam forum threads, I renamed ClientRegistry.blob (and UpdateStats.blob) files in \Valve\Steam folder, shutdown & rebooted

Woops, who told you to rename the .blob files? Sometimes it is an easy way to let Steam re-update your game by removing both files, but renaming them might give the mini dump issue (not sure).

• Go to X:\Steam (X=your drive where steam is located)
  • Remove both AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob
  • Close Steam -> Right click on the traybar right bottom of your screen and choose Exit
  • Boot Steam again
  • Fill in account name and password (make sure you have both when you do this!)
  • Steam will now check to see if you game needs updating certain parts
Hopefully this will help, and if not please let us know what goes wrong so we can try something else. Good luck!

Woops, who told you to rename the .blob files? Sometimes it is an easy way to let Steam re-update your game by removing both files, but renaming them might give the mini dump issue (not sure).

• Go to X:\Steam (X=your drive where steam is located)
  • Remove both AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob
  • Close Steam -> Right click on the traybar right bottom of your screen and choose Exit
  • Boot Steam again
  • Fill in account name and password (make sure you have both when you do this!)
  • Steam will now check to see if you game needs updating certain parts
Hopefully this will help, and if not please let us know what goes wrong so we can try something else. Good luck!

This is the solution to most all Steam issues...

Bram:

Firstly, as Gunthar noted, renaming the ClientRegistry.blob file and re-launching Steam so that Steam will reload (upload to client) that file *is* a common recommendation at Steam forums to fix My Games lists. But I'm not sure about renaming the AppUpdateStats.blob file. In any case, I have tried using the original *.blob files but still does not work.

Secondly
Splitted your post from the minidump thread. I get an error clicking your link. Could you briefly describe what happens. Maybe some techies here have a solution for you :thumb:
Per your request, here is what I posted at RSC forum (and subsequently at Steam forum, neither have responses):

"I have US GTR Evolution + Race07 (bundled) retail DVD. Original Evolution & Race07 installation for online mode was completed with no problems using (one of) my existing Steam accounts. Activation completed using CD key worked without any problem and Steam supplied me a CD Key Receipt including a Confirmation Code. I got some game updates via Steam, and could launch Race07 and GTR Evolution from Steam> My Games.

Sometime later I chose to install the Crowne Raceway add-on, it installed "Race07 Demo" and "Crowne Plaza Demo...", and both worked without issue. In another thread here, people described how to use GCFScape to extract essential Crowne Plaza track + Vauxhall car files to allow me to copy those extracted files/folders back into my ...\SteamApps\... folder and then delete (from within Steam> My Games browser) the Crowne Plaza Demo and Race07 Demo. I did so to reduce hard disk space wasted on the Demos.

Subsequently, Race07 and GTR Evolution, and ALL my other Steam-based games (eg HalfLife2, & atleast 8 others), Media, and Tools DISAPPEARED from the Steam Browser!!. As advised in some Steam forum threads, I renamed ClientRegistry.blob (and UpdateStats.blob) files in \Valve\Steam folder, shutdown & rebooted. Launch Steam then updates Steam Client, all Steam games EXCEPT Race07 & GTR Evolution re-appear in Steam> My Games browser list. Oddly, there were still Race07 & Crowne Plaza Demo & GTR Evolution & Race07Demo GCF files and some related subfolders remaining in my \Valve\ folder.

So first I tried (multiple times) to re-install GTR-E from DVD, the installer runs very quickly (without showing "copying files.." or anything similar), it then launches Steam and displays the Product Activation Wizard screen where I put in my CD Key - it then Says "Steam Working... Activating product" but NEVER proceeds to do the Activation process!!

So I deleted all the GTR Evo & Race07 & Race07Demo & CrownePlaza Demo & Race07 Demo GCFs and related subfolders, renamed newer
ClientRegistry.blob and UpdateStats.blob, and have tried again and again and again to re-install GTR Evo & Race07 from DVD. The re-installtion NEVER works!! It always quickly runs (without showing "copying files..." or similar), it launches Steam, updates Steam Client (probably sending me ClientRegistry BLOB), and opens the Product Activation Wizard screen but NEVER proceeds to do anything in the "Steam Working... Activating product" dialog!! However, it seems to always create a a 70-80KB "Steam_...mdmp" mini-dump file.

I've even used RevoUninstaller to identify and delete leftover residual registry keys, but STILL NO LUCK to re-install GTR Evo & Race07 from my retail DVD. Installer Installer always just flashes by into Activation, which does NOT do anything (except create yet another "Steam_...mdmp" mini-dump file).

Please help, all suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance."
I just tried again to re-install GTR Evo from DVD, that failed yet again exactly as I described above, and again produced the attached Mini-Dump file.

Bram:
Does this Mini-Dump file give any hints what might be wrong?

Techies please step up, I want my GTR:E and Race07 to work again!!

Attachments

• Steam__621739__2008_11_14T0_51_55C16218.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 165
ClientRegistry.blob and UpdateStats.blob, and have tried again and again and again to re-install GTR Evo & Race07 from DVD. The re-installtion NEVER works!! It always quickly runs (without showing "copying files..." or similar), it launches Steam, updates Steam Client (probably sending me ClientRegistry BLOB), and opens the Product Activation Wizard screen but NEVER proceeds to do anything in the "Steam Working... Activating product" dialog!! However, it seems to always create a a 70-80KB "Steam_...mdmp" mini-dump file.

Judging by this you have not uninstalled steam completely? (Or have you?) And have only tried reinstalling the actual games rather than the steam client?

If you have not tried to completely uninstall steam before putting your DVD back in do so, then try again.

Uninstall the games via Steam, and then uninstall Steam by going to:

Start / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs / Steam / Uninstall.

Run CCleanerand then do a reboot and try installing the games and steam client from your DVD’s.

Sorry if you have already tried this and I have misunderstood you.

GTR Evo Re-Installation Still a Problem

Judging by this you have not uninstalled steam completely? (Or have you?) And have only tried reinstalling the actual games rather than the steam client?

If you have not tried to completely uninstall steam before putting your DVD back in do so, then try again.

Uninstall the games via Steam, and then uninstall Steam by going to:

Start / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs / Steam / Uninstall.

Run CCleanerand then do a reboot and try installing the games and steam client from your DVD’s.

Sorry if you have already tried this and I have misunderstood you.
@Damian:

I have subsequently re-installed Steam (from the /Steam/ folder on my retail GTRE+Race07 DVD), but I still cannot re-install GTR-Evolution ONline version. I did not first remove existing Steam program (nor my other 10+ Steam-based games as you suggested) because I don't want to lose all my hard-fought progress in the games (e.g. Half-Life1, HL:Source, Half-Life2, HL2 Episodes 1 &2, HL2DM, CS:S, TF1, TF2, etc. I'm assuming I would all progress if I remove those game, and I might lose all progress if I remove only Steam program (I'm not sure I can remove Steam w/o removing all Steam-based games?), and then re-install Steam + GTRE + other 10+ games. Steam is working OK for those other games (altho occasionally Steam browser will show NO entries in My Games, My Media, and Tools - typically a reboot will fix that. Can you offer any ideas?

@ Bram:
I'm confused: if YOU can't interpret a Steam_xxx.mdmp file, why did you start the separate "Post Your Steam MiniDumps Here" thread at http://forum.racedepartment.com/gtr-evolution/6566-post-your-minidumps-here.html. Do SimBin or Valve ever look at them, or is there anyone who can help solve a minidump problem?

Still NO GO on GTR Evo Re-Installation Problem

After a back & forth dialog with "Miles" at Valve in my Steam Problem Ticket, I'm still unable to re-install GTR Evo/ Race07 (online version). I'm hoping someone here can provide new suggestions.

Maybe related, whenever I try playing HL2: Death Match (or TF2) online using my GTR Evo PC and Steam username/ password , I always get disconnected within minutes with a VAC Secured Server communication failure message. Frankly I don't know whats defeating the VAC communications (I've forwarded the usual Steam ports that I've used for many years, verified NIS2008 isn't blocking, etc., etc.) Perhaps whatever is causing that might also be preventing me from successfully re-installing GTR-E? Race07?

Ideas/ suggestions anyone??

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years