GTR Evo - After selecting Steam install, Steam still has to download!?

Hi all! I bought GTR Evo a couple weeks ago. I do have a Steam account so I opted for the online version of the install. However, after I activated it, Steam started downloading an update for it. The thing that is confusing me is that the update is 1.1GBs so is this right? Also, it lists RACE 07 and GTR Evo as two separate games and for me to play RACE, I'd have to download another 2.8GBs so can anyone explain to me whats going on? I'm on a tight bandwidth limit (10GB a month) so I've been hesitant to downloading them. Thanks!

So I have to download them both? But why do I have to download them? Why doesn't it install the games from my disc? I have installed the Offline version too and thats working fine but why do I have to download GTR Evo and RACE 07 if I have all the content on the disc?

It should be like that. If you stop the Evo download and just finish the Race 07 one first you will see that when you restart the Evo download it will start at 80% or something because you already have the core files from Race07 and only the additional content is being downloaded.

If I remember right (off the top of my head) Evo is ~1.1Gb if you have Race 07 already installed.

The updates will include all the changes to the game engine from the release of Race On last year. This is because in reality they are all expansions of Race 07 so when a new expansion is released all the tweaks and changes to the graphics, physic, netcode etc are all rolled back into the Race 07 core files so the games a cross compatible online.

If I were you I would load anything you have on CD from the CD first. then allow Race07 to update, then Evo if it still needs to. this should minimize your bandwidth usage to the smallest possible amount.

Well, the strange thing now is that when I selected online install, it copied the content off the disc and the update was 98% done so I only have to download about 70 MBs so thats good :). Something must've went funny in my last install as I've just reinstalled Windows today. Thanks for the help.

ok, now I'm still having the problem with Race. It installed the update for GTR Evo but when I click to run it, it tells me it needs Race to work so would I like to install it? I click yes but now its downloading Race (2.7GBs) so is there any way around this? Thanks

Right, ok. Well, I have a copy of Race actually but I'm planning on selling it since I got it with GTR Evo (no need to have 2 copies) so would I be able to use the content off that disc without using the activation code? (so that I can sell it as new)

I don't think you will be able to through the installer as it will register the key. you could try copying the .gcf files to your steamapps folder and restarting steam. They are the main bulk of what gets downloaded. Make a note of what you copied over and restart steam. It might still do some updating and you might find that Evo does some smaller patches too but there's a pretty good chance it could drastically reduce the total d/l.

Yeah, I did something like that :). I noticed there were a few files in the root of the RACE DVD which had things like "disk1" in the name and they were fairly big files so I assumed that they were the data so I knew those were the ones to work with. I remember I did a steam back up of DiRT 2 recently and it left an exe in its folder called "Steam Backup" so I copied the files off the RACE DVD to my HDD and put the Steam Backup exe in the same folder and voila! "Restore Race 07" :) so I did that and I only had to download 30 MBs in the end. I'm really glad I didn't have to wait.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%