RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest a video called 'Going Faster' also iRacing has several videos that will give you all you need to get going. Sadly nothing on time management :)

Just managed to get my PC up and running during the warm up for the second race.
Great stuff clean racing loved it. Can't really say anything bad about it except for the last lap. You've always got to lever de space.;):):thumbsup:
Well done to the podium finishes well done all thanks for the entertainment.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

No idea what that noise was from my wheel, but it seemed to work fine for the races. :O_o: Really, really good racing again today guys. So close, very exciting! The stream should be fun to watch, which is what I'll be doing with my din-dins. :D
2 sources of strange noises i encountered are faulty fan or loose quick release ring. If it was constant and quite loud then it might be leaky fan bushing :p

edit: just saw your previous post and it sounds like a problem i had with a fan

2 sources of strange noises i encountered are faulty fan or loose quick release ring. If it was constant and quite loud then it might be leaky fan bushing :p

edit: just saw your previous post and it sounds like a problem i had with a fan
Quite possibly yeah. The noise started just after plugging in the power. The auto calibration worked fine so the fan is the prime suspect. The wheel is out of warranty now, so if it happens again I'll have to replace the fan myself.

I didn't actually say "they aren't fast, so they quit". I said people are giving up because they're not as fast as others, which you and others have said is exactly what you are doing. (I don't consider myself to be "fast", for the record.)
If that was my problem, I would have quitted racing years ago. I'm used to being seconds slower than the leaders, that wasn't my point. I feel that my presence would add zero value to these races nowadays. Because I feel unprepared compared to others, I don't want to ruin anybody's evening and I always think that I can spend that time with something more useful like practicing for the next league event.

Quite possibly yeah. The noise started just after plugging in the power. The auto calibration worked fine so the fan is the prime suspect. The wheel is out of warranty now, so if it happens again I'll have to replace the fan myself.
my wheel was still under warranty, but i decided to replace fan on my own to not skip any event :roflmao:

Absolutely loving this track and car combo. It's hard work but the fun and the gratification when you nail it outweighs any work. Missing or not joining up for this event would be sacrilege.
I mean to say I could do this every week once a week like Tuesdays for instance.:roflmao:
But seriously this is serious fun.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just like the backtrack a little on what I said about the KTM in post #7.
I've done a little more fiddling and squeeze a little bit more speed out of it of course with the extra speed there comes instability. This setup has put the KTM at the top of the leaderboard.
I'm sure if anybody chooses to use it will make your alterations, but be gentle in what you do. A little adjustment makes a lot of difference.
As always if there's any questions don't hesitate to ask in any manner you choose, privately or otherwise.

Attachments

• KTM X-BOW GT4 SILVERSTONE INTER LB 2.svm
    6.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I just recently began tweaking one thing and another in setup once I have got to the point where my lap times have leveled off. Not sure if there is a particular order, but I usually go one click in one direction and see if it 'feels' good and if my time is same or a bit better I keep going till it gets worse. I start with Toe In and then springs...that is as far as I have got so far.
A couple of questions to @Calvyn White, what is your approach to achieving a setup? Do you do one thing then another, or are you changing multiple settings at a time? Do you go in any particular order?

A couple of questions to @Calvyn White, what is your approach to achieving a setup? Do you do one thing then another, or are you changing multiple settings at a time? Do you go in any particular order?
Well my approach to achieving a set-up that im satisfied with is probably not the right way but it works for me. But as far as I know there is no right or wrong way so I will explain it in the way I do it.

First of all I go out on default drive the car as hard as possible and whilst doing so taking notes where I don't think where the car is handling as I would like. This usually consist of paying attention to the medium too fast speed corners.

I start with the bump and rebound whether the car is turning into qui with a car is exiting too wide I start with the bump and rebound to bring this in to a little bit more control in what I want the car to do. I also think about getting the wing if any as low as possible of course lowering the wing can result in high speed corners a little over steering what stiffening the front suspension will help compensate this will give a little less grip at the front allowing the wing to come into play a little more and push the car out from the corner.
Or you can soften the rear giving the car a little bit more grip and push assisting what little wing you are running.
So yeah I do have a set routine in how I approach a setup.
I start with the bump and rebound I think about keeping everything else that would wear the tires as low as possible such as toe and camber. I tend to use these nearer to the end of the process of making the set up the final adjustments anything from 5 or 6 clicks on the camber and likewise with the front and rear toe. Ride height is one of those also things I tend to leave to last as one or two clicks can make a lot of difference so it's best to go with the default for as long as possible sometimes it doesn't need changing at all.
Power, coast, preload I tend to think about using on the slower and medium corners. And think about putting them in a happy medium that will suit the entire track not one particular corner. When I do tend to use them to find and fix a particular problem with a corner then resort to it other settings to resolve the issue that the coast power and preload have resolved and then start again to find that happy medium through out the track with the settings.
Every setting affects another setting so you were just one setting it may fix your problem in one area of the track but create another so what you done to fix it you may have to go back to the original setting and try another to resolve that issue without creating another.
Use your rear wing to help you fix a problem with the car's handling. It may help you get in a better corner speed and if it does help you get you the extra speed try the lowering it again and use mechanical grip such as suspension, anti-roll bar, right hide, anything of that nature the keep that wing down but maintaining that speed.

With practice and persistence you will know eventually what setting you will need to adjust to fix your problem without creating another.

So in conclusion I start with the bump and rebound was thinking how bumpy the track is how high do I need these can I get them stiffer will I have any problems going into corners trail breaking if they're too hard which will probably cause your tyres to lock up easier in bumpier corner than others do I keep you in the middle a happy medium compromising for all corners that trail braking can be used.

I have now got to the stage I know pretty much exactly what I need to change after a good hour of practicing with the default setup I go straight to the bump and rebound maybe a little suspension lower the wing. Hold the power and coast in preload if there is an option. Give it a whirl on the track and usually that sort of approach will improve the a default setup time. And whilst doing their taking mental notes. Which would consist of yep rebounds needs too hard and probably could take off some front camber and so on. It takes time but it gets quicker the more you do it the more you no what to do.
I suppose the most important thing I could say here is knowing exactly what your car is doing and how to make it do what you want without compromising on the speed. Yes it may be dodgy getting around that corner but you're getting around the corner as fast as you can get it to go and staying on the track. Whilst trying to be as smooth and accurate as possible.

I'll leave this here for now maybe one day the setup academy will come back. And maybe a driving academy as well.

I hope that answered your questions and made sense.

Last edited:
I feel that my presence would add zero value to these races nowadays.
Perhaps you should be more concerned with what value racing brings to you? The fact is that, as I keep saying whenever someone expresses doubt, everyone and anyone is welcome in our club events. The more people we have on the grid, the better, regardless of skill, experience, pace, or whatever else. I will honestly never understand why people are so reluctant when this is the message all RD staff repeat time and time again. We even labelled some of our races as "rookie events" for a while, and still had rookies saying they were afraid to sign up. What more can we do to get the message across?!

Another thing I don't understand is why you are concerned that your presence would add zero value to a just-for-fun club, yet you say you are entering leagues. What's the difference? What "value" do you bring to those leagues that you wouldn't bring to our club by entering our races? :O_o:

If that was my problem, I would have quitted racing years ago. I'm used to being seconds slower than the leaders, that wasn't my point. I feel that my presence would add zero value to these races nowadays. Because I feel unprepared compared to others, I don't want to ruin anybody's evening and I always think that I can spend that time with something more useful like practicing for the next league event.
I just don't get any of this I really don't understand what you're going on about.
The way I look at it if you practice you get good you're competitive and you got a chance of winning and if you don't forget anything I just said.
If you willing to practice for a league you should be willing to practice for the club either way if you don't put in the effort you won't get result from any of it and it's no one else's fault except your own. And why you feel then need to bring it into the club forums I have no idea.
Whoever races in a club are here to have fun how we get that fun is up to us whether we want to practice or not that is up to us if you're expecting results from not practicing that's probably not going to happen. And thats no fault (as I said before) of those who are willing to put the time in.

Yes, getting your perspective is very helpful, I agree with your initial approach of putting the time in first before a virtual wrench is turned. Setups can be intimidating, but not knowing where your limits are, and setting that benchmark with the default settings I think is a waste of time.

Listening to you and @FeltHat talking about traction control and rebound last Sunday was interesting and helpful as I prefer a low TC and more throttle input to control when some loss of traction is a good thing. Also, after driving some mid-rear engine cars I like the feel of transfer of weight and the car 'rotating' through the turn.

Do you typically change bump and rebound in tandem?

The way I use bump and rebound.
Let's say for instance the front and rear bump and rebound is set to 10.
And I'm having a problem going around a right hand bend. Now let's say this is exit problem I'm having too much over steer.
So I would put up maybe one click down on the rear bump this will help a little and giving the car a little understeer out of the corner. And doing the opposite if you having the same problem with entry.
Obviously left and right corners you will have different numbers. As you may have sharper lefts than you have rights but they should be as similar as possible.
Now the question is how high or low should these numbers be once you have them set. Well it is a question of how bumpy the corners are whether you're having problems breaking into the corner and exiting under throttle. For instance is the car locking up going into a corner a little too easy you've got to look into it and see if the car is bouncing a little too much is the bump and rebound doing their job is it working too fast or working too slow. The same goes on exit under throttle is the car losing traction too easy due to a bumpy surface. So for instance you may have to move these groups and numbers that you've had setup and you very well may have to readjust these numbers but it shouldn't be more than one click for two of them at most.
It is a back in forward process that there is no question it takes time that I do know but it does get easier and quicker because you start to learn and recognise what the car is doing and you know what to do about it. Since joining race department I have put in 113 days and 16 hours on track.

So the front rebound and the rear bump help control turns to the right and vice a versa. This is most effective with medium to fast corners. So higher bump then rebound will promote oversteer. Higher rebound than bump will promote understeer.

PS: I nearly forgot that'll be £10. :D

Last edited:
I really don't understand that "my presence would add zero value" either. It's not true even on the most basic level - it would at least add one more car to the grid.

And anyway...why think so little of yourself? Especially since we're talking club racing, where positions ultimately don't matter and the main goal is just having fun. And this is coming from someone who generally assumes people must be absolutely sick of him at all times (and they are, just hopefully not *all* the time ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back