GTR 4 Series | Final Standings & Next Series Vote

GTR4S R0.png

Four weeks and eight rounds of door-to-door racing and the GTR 4 series has come to an end! This was some of the closest action I've witnessed here at RaceDepartment, and it was great fun to watch and commentate on. It's a shame it's over, and future series now have a rather high benchmark to live up to!

Coming out on top for the second series in a row is Stephen Kenwood who proved mighty in the Porsche CS MR! He didn't have things all his own way though, as JP Miranda provided some stiff competition with his BMW M4. Although separated in the final standings by a little more than a race win, either driver could have taken the championship going into this last event.

A big thank you and congratulations to everyone who took part in the series over the last four weeks. It was great to hear and read that you've enjoyed yourselves again, and fear not because the next series is not far away! See below for more details. But first, the official results:

Standings04.png

The Next Series

As before, you will have noticed that there is a vote at the top of this thread for the class to be used in the next series. The options are classes that have often provided close racing in the past, including some of those suggested in the comment of the previous poll.

I'm going to hazard a guess that many people will be drawn towards the GTR 3s, but don't be too hasty! While they are the "fastest" class on offer this time around, outright speed and power does not necessarily mean great racing. This was clearly demonstrated by the GTR 4s, so perhaps a "slower" class would be a better option? Or how about everyone being in the exact same car? It's something to think about, but ultimately the choice is up to you guys. :)

The poll will remain open until next weekend, so don't forget to vote before then! Everyone has two votes so that we'll hopefully avoid a tie-break this time! Also, feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions for future series in this thread, as all will be considered. Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Bravo Kenwood, really another level

thank you Ross for hosting this beautiful champ, i loved my Evora and was a real fun to see how the different cars go around the various tracks

I voted for the Aquila cause i like it and is interesting to be all in the same car and then for gt3 cause i never drove those cars on rre and i am curios

by the way, next series will goes on saturday as this? Saturday is not the better night for me

Last edited:
Is there such a thing as Fixed setup to even the field ?
Setups can be fixed server-side yes, but I'm reluctant to do that. One reason is that minor setup changes are sometimes necessary to tailor a car to a driver's particular style. Take that away from them and they might not bother signing up at all. The other reason is that, in truth, practice is what makes a driver fast, not their setup. Once a driver has mastered a particular track, a setup that suits them perfectly might be worth another 0.5s or so in qualy.

But if anyone needs setup help then I strongly encourage them to ask in TeamSpeak during practice, or in the event forum thread. Our club members are usually more than willing to help out with advice or even by posting their entire setup.

by the way, next series will goes on saturday as this? Saturday is not the better night for me
Yes, Saturdays are R3E nights. I realise it might not be the best day for everybody who wants to race, but it is the most popular night (there was a poll on exactly that on RD a few days ago) and it is also the night I am free to host them.

Setups can be fixed server-side yes, but I'm reluctant to do that. One reason is that minor setup changes are sometimes necessary to tailor a car to a driver's particular style. Take that away from them and they might not bother signing up at all. The other reason is that, in truth, practice is what makes a driver fast, not their setup. Once a driver has mastered a particular track, a setup that suits them perfectly might be worth another 0.5s or so in qualy.

But if anyone needs setup help then I strongly encourage them to ask in TeamSpeak during practice, or in the event forum thread. Our club members are usually more than willing to help out with advice or even by posting their entire setup.

Yes, Saturdays are R3E nights. I realise it might not be the best day for everybody who wants to race, but it is the most popular night (there was a poll on exactly that on RD a few days ago) and it is also the night I am free to host them.
Yeh, I got some really good setup advice from Le Gallez last week - im not good at it but for me it adds to the fun - I like learning about how the car responds to changes and if I can make that fit my (lack of) style.

Good points about setups..... I’ve got to learn at some point so that’s my next challenge . 9th in the series running stock setups all the way through isn’t bad anyway , so it’s not like I’m massively off the pace .

ive started watching a series Chris Haye did a while back on setups , I’d rather understand what I’m doing and why rather than just plumbing in somebody else’s figures I think as we all drive a bit differently .

voted.... this video by Jardier swung the WTCR for me ..... fwd will be a completely different beast

I’ve got to learn at some point so that’s my next challenge . 9th in the series running stock setups all the way through isn’t bad anyway , so it’s not like I’m massively off the pace .
Mate, I've been sim racing in some form for over 20 years and I still barely ever touch setups. In most events I'm running 99% default and I do fine... I can't help chuckling a little when I finish ahead of those who have spent the entire practice session tweaking and changing rather than practicing the track. :p My changes are usually limited to brake pressure and bias... that's it.

But that's also one of the good things about R3E, it's cars usually come with a good, stable default setup that will suffice for most people.

Regarding setup work, my advice is to not focus too much on it. It’s better to just drive and try to be fast and consistent with the default setups. I have been simracing on and off since EA:s first F1 titles and I realize that the time I did spend in the setup screens would have been better spent at the track. Often I did not understand what I was doing and also I didn’t do it in a methodical way.

After a long break from simracing I picked it up again a few years ago with the goal of not taking it too serious and that include not fiddling with setups all the time.

For example in the M4 the only thing I adjusted, besides my steering preferences, was tire pressures, trying to even them out some. It can of course depend a lot on the car also, in the Porsche I found myself back in the garage a bit bit too much again. Don’t know where I am going here but I guess all I want to say is: concentrate on driving instead of trying to fix things in the garage.:laugh:

Yeh, I got some really good setup advice from Le Gallez last week - im not good at it but for me it adds to the fun - I like learning about how the car responds to changes and if I can make that fit my (lack of) style.
For me, the default setup in the last cars was amazing.
The only thing that I changed was the wing and the distribution of the braking.

Note:
I don't like wtcr at all. I prefer gt3 or even aquilla.
With the wtcr the races are in chaos
I hate them. From my point of view.

Last edited:
Indeed, it's a nice little car. Lots of grip, agile, and it tends to feel like you're going a faster than you actually are. Single make class too, so it'd be interesting in a championship. Even if it doesn't get the vote this time, it'd be good to see it in the future. :thumbsup:

I was torn between WTCR, which I have a lot of experience in, and the CR1 as I've not driven a single lap in it yet. Either way I think we'd have a great championship!

Hah, well that's a surprise. I thought WTCR had it, but in the last hours of the poll the Aquila has snatched the win! This will be an interesting championship I think, as nobody will have any particular advantage at any particular tracks. I'll get things sorted over the weekend and have the details up by Monday latest.

Looking forward to this one. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing