• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

EU GTR 3 @ Slovakia Ring - Wed 18 Sep 2019

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by Ross Garland, Sep 10, 2019.

Added to Calendar: 18-09-19
  1. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    Spiritseer Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,014
    GTR 3.jpg
    Welcome to the R3E racing club! This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help the don't hesitate to ask on TeamSpeak... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members can sign up for this event. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge!

Join us
    Not a premium member yet but interested in racing with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate.

Racing Club Rules: Click here
    Server and Teamspeak Password: Click here

Teamspeak Installation Guide: Click here
    Incident Reporting: Click here

We highly recommend that you join us on TeamSpeak, and that you use an app called Crew Chief. It gives you an audio spotter that tells you when cars are alongside, greatly increasing your awareness and reducing unnecessary incidents. You can download it here.

Server Name:
    RaceDepartment.com EU - Wed
    Cars: GTR 3
    Track: Slovakia Ring

Wednesday 18/09/19
    Practice:
    19:00 UTC (30 minutes)
    Qualifying: 19:30 UTC (15 minutes)

Warmup 1: 19:45 UTC (5 minutes)
    Race 1: 19:50 UTC (20 minutes)

Warmup 2: 20:10 UTC (5 minutes)
    Race 2: 20:15 UTC (20 minutes) - Reverse grid to 5 places

Entry List
    - 32 slots
    1. FeltHat
    2. Calvyn White
    3. paulbee058
    4. Free slot
    5. Free slot
    6. Free slot
    7. Free slot
    8. Free slot
    9. Free slot
    10. Free slot
    11. Free slot
    12. Free slot
    13. Free slot
    14. Free slot
    15. Free slot

Reserve list
    1. Reserve
    2. Reserve

UTP#20

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019 at 10:35
  2. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,082
    im in

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    Spiritseer Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,014
    NOTE

We will no longer accept "maybes" and question marks. If you sign up then you're expected to be there, as per our Club Rules. You're also expected to complete the event in full, which should not be an issue given that we do not use damage in RD club racing.

Failing to do these simple things shows great disrespect to your fellow drivers, and anyone doing so from now on will receive the appropriate penalty.

4. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,082
    holy moly, gt3 event with no sign ups, ive seen everything

5. paulbee058

paulbee058
    Premium

Ratings:
    +116
    For me it’s the track. Can’t work it out. I’d be a mobile chicane so thought it best to stay away. I’d probably have given it a go in 92 DTM but spent more time ploughing the fields in a GT3

6. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    Spiritseer Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,014
    Avoiding things you're not very good at isn't much of a way to improve. You learn by doing.

7. paulbee058

paulbee058
    Premium

Ratings:
    +116
    @Ross Garland I absolutely agree - but learning in someone else race? Not so sure. I have genuinely spent several evenings on it since announced, but it hasn't clicked for some reason. I've never felt comfortable joining a race where there's every chance of my spoiling someones race by getting in the way or worse! I tend to find that in these situations I either cause an incident by braking too early or too late. It will come with time and I haven't given up on the circuit, but I haven't grasped it yet in a GT3

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    Spiritseer Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,014
    It's a shame I'm not much of a tutor really, or I'd substitute some of these events for some kind of extended race practice. Nothing like the academy Bram used to run, but something more relaxed to help people learn some technique and gain confidence.

9. paulbee058

paulbee058
    Premium

Ratings:
    +116
    I would sign up to something like that in a heart beat.

10. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,082
    You want me to teach you? :D

• Beer Beer x 1
  11. balage06

balage06
    Premium

Ratings:
    +264
    This new schedule is pretty unfortunate for me, because we have been organizing our league events on Wednesday evening for years, so I'm unavailable on most occasions, otherwise I'd sign up...

• Beer Beer x 1
  12. paulbee058

paulbee058
    Premium

Ratings:
    +116
    All help would be gratefully received. I'll sign up for tomorrows race in the hope of a few lessons Rad :thumbsup:

13. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    Spiritseer Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,014
    If we don't get enough sign-ups I'll start the server with a really long practice session, in case you guys want to do a bit of tutoring. If I can free myself up I might pop on in case I can offer any advice.

Remember that the R3E servers are always online too, so if anyone ever wants to arrange an impromptu training session for any of our events then they're welcome to do so at any time.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Calvyn White

Calvyn White
    Calv Killmore Premium

Ratings:
    +1,597
    I don't know if I'm going to be able to take part in the race but I've made a setup for the Audi R8 LMS. Whether this Audi setup will work on another car such as the BMWs etc I have no idea. My experience with a GT3 is limited. I've never experienced any advantage in using the same setups with different cars.

And this is how I drive it.

Into the first right-hand corner hard on the brakes down the third gear make sure you get to the apex be patient with a throttle but get it on hard as soon as you can drag 5th gear up the hill getting into 6th about halfway up it.
    Hard on the brakes for the next right quickly down the third waiting to pick second halfway through the corner be careful the back-end may lock up. Timing is important in choosing that 2nd gear. A short shift to 3rd wouldn't go amiss if needed out of the corner.
    You should be in 5th by the time you hit the next right-hander slowing down to 2nd gear whilst gently breaking around the right-hander. After 3rd gear up to 4th just. Brake hard down the second keep it close to the double left apex treated like one corner as it is sort of. Use all the track on the exit and short shift 3rd if you feel you need to.
    Keep it tight to the left on the apex try not to touch it can turn the car into a spin. Use all the exit up to 5th down the hill to the hairpin.
    Down the 2nd gear keep it tight on the left, short shift to 3rd as you go around the right gentle on the throttle try not hit that right curb on the exit. It can mess you up and as you're about to go down a long straight it will mess you up for the entire section of the track if you touch that curb and lose any exit speed that you may have. Important to get a good exit onto this long straight.
    Full throttle until the right hand turn onto the start and finish straight. Hard on the brakes down the third gear quickly let the car coast let it go wide and you'll be surprised how early you can get the throttle on. From 3rd gear on to the start and finish straight itself.

Well, there's my very basic description of how I drive the Audi around this particular circuit.

As some of you are aware it's a challenging circuit with many different things fast corners, slow corner, sharp corners, long sweeping corners all sorts of stuff very awkward to get a rhythm going and awkward to set up a car.
    Despite the awkwardness of the track and setting up the car, the track has plenty of opportunities for overtaking.
    And these overtaking opportunities should be practiced for your breaking abilities.
    Sometimes what I like to do is pretend there's a car beside me and I'm undertaking him into the hairpin and I need to know if I'm going to make that corner without going wide and slamming into the other car who's probably going around the outside of me.
    Practicing you're overtaking whit a imaginary car is something I often do I want to know if the braking is anything different when I'm a car width to the right or left from the racing line I need to know what my car is going to do on that surface whether it's bumpier or not if it's bumpier there's more chance of a lock-up and lockups don't slow you down.

If there are any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    For instance, if you could describe to me in the way the car is behaving that is not to your liking I can probably suggest some things that you can change to bring in more in the line of your liking. Don't be shy.
    If there's any help I can give I will do so. But I am far far from being an expert.

P.s. If you use or try my setup up and you found my description useful, as many YouTubers say please leave a "like" or and donate vast quantities of cash.;):roflmao:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019 at 01:19
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen
    Buggered if I know..... Premium

Ratings:
    +1,572
    Right there with you. It's just a b*tch of a track IMO.
    Granted, it can be learned but with sim-time being limited by the horrors of real life, I tend to stick to tracks I have at least a basic idea of how to run. :)

It's not that hard tbh. I mean, hell I've done it a few times, so how hard could it possibly be? :p
    Basically, it's looking for the classic mistakes; braking too late, turning in too soon, not using the entire width of the track, etc.
    All it really requires is having a basic grasp on racing technique, and to be semi-coherent in English.

16. paulbee058

paulbee058
    Premium

Ratings:
    +116
    @Calvyn White thank you for taking the time to make a setup and share your guide to the track. I will give it a go this evening :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dux

Dux
    Premium

Ratings:
    +676
    Oh so much would love to join but on date sadly (lol)

• Beer Beer x 2
  18. Calvyn White

Calvyn White
    Calv Killmore Premium

Ratings:
    +1,597
    Sign me up please Ross.:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    Spiritseer Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,014
    If it were that easy, I'd be running the RD driver academy instead of watching it die. Knowing what to do isn't the same as communicating it in an interesting, coherent and easily understood manner.

Perfect example is the French classes I was forced to take in my school days. First two years, I had a total bitch of a teacher, Madmoiselle St Martin. Learnt almost nothing, was deemed useless as languages, placed in the "bottom" group for the following year. That year I had Mr Reed. Despite no interest in French whatsoever, I actually looked forward to his classes because they were fun, and learnt more than I had in the previous two years. So much in fact that they put me in the "top" group for the year after, predicting I was on target for an A or B grade in the final exams. That put me back with St Martin though. All progress lost, hated every second, ended up scraping a D in the exams.

So yeah, the ability to properly pass on knowledge is just as important as the knowledge itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. paulbee058

paulbee058
    Premium

Ratings:
    +116
    Sign me in please Ross. I need to show Calvyn and Rad my special skills :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.