RaceRoom 2 is actually Race Room. They update the engine constantly.
I wouldn't go that far. They're updating the game and they tweak the physics. That's not the same. Updating the engine itself is badly needed at this point, and I'm sure they are very much aware of the fact themselves, not just because people bring it up constantly, but also because they're severely limited in what they can do and have to resort to various workarounds. The game is frequently stretched to its limits, especially given that it can't really take advantage of modern systems. It's antiquated at this point, and the fact that it still offers as much as it does, looks as good as it does and offers the features it does is a testament to how good they are at making things work within the restrains they got.

There have been many tweaks and features/optimizations, but at its core, Raceroom is still a decade old game. It's not Raceroom 2 by any means.

Then again, it's hard to imagine where they could go next, especially since the originally talked about Unreal Engine seems like...not a great choice for racing games.

This is honestly the only reason I'm even mildly interested in GTR3 (besides laughing at the sheer unprofessionalism of it all) - what does it all mean for Raceroom, given that the original plan seemed to be to update Raceroom once GTR3 is done. That is unlikely to happen any time soon, if at all, so...what's next for Raceroom?

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far. They're updating the game and they tweak the physics. That's not the same. Updating the engine itself is badly needed at this point, and I'm sure they are very much aware of the fact themselves, not just because people bring it up constantly, but also because they're severely limited in what they can do and have to resort to various workarounds. The game is frequently stretched to its limits, especially given that it can't really take advantage of modern systems. It's antiquated at this point, and the fact that it still offers as much as it does, looks as good as it does and offers the features it does is a testament to how good they are at making things work within the restrains they got.

There have been many tweaks and features/optimizations, but at its core, Raceroom is still a decade old game. It's not Raceroom 2 by any means.

Then again, it's hard to imagine where they could go next, especially since the originally talked about Unreal Engine seems like...not a great choice for racing games.

This is honestly the only reason I'm even mildly interested in GTR3 (besides laughing at the sheer unprofessionalism of it all) - what does it all mean for Raceroom, given that the original plan seemed to be to update Raceroom once GTR3 is done. That is unlikely to happen any time soon, if at all, so...what's next for Raceroom?

It is interesting in deed what they will do.
Tho I wouldn't be surprised if Sector3 still go ahead with the unreal engine as they have had over 5 yrs of Simbin UK using Raceroom placeholder content on the engine to see how it works.

With the Unreal option being the original plan. The only other options are RF2 and madness...unless they have secretly been developing there own engine....which I highly doubt.
RF2 or madness option would probably be yrs of development away too...plus I am sure we would of heard from Ian Bell by now if the madness engine was to be used lol

There may be other options we're just not seeing. I mean until fairly recently, Unreal Engine wasn't generally considered an engine for a simracing game, but I guess it is now considered a more viable option (I'm still not entirely convinced, tbh). So saying "the only other options are rF2 or Madness" might be viewing it in a kinda limiting way of the "safest" options, as in the most...what would be the right word...? Common? Predictable? Expected? I guess you know what I mean.

There's quite a few game engines out there, and many seem to be fairly universal, close to how Unreal Engine seems to be.

IMO it would be good to stop it. Don't ride a death horse, and we don't need another GT3 Sim on the market. There are SO MANY other racing series many of us are interested in - IMSA, LeMans, VLN just to mention a few. And not starting to talk about historic stuff.
If you wan't to survive in a market you have to find a niche, and there are a dozent niches to be filled...

Well, this isn't surprising. The original SimBin from 2006 wasn't the team who developed GTR2, but what is now SlightlyMadStudios did. SMS disappointed us with PCars and PCars 2, and now even more with PCars 3.

SimBinUK, AFAIK, wasn't experienced enough, both in making sim racing titles as well as with Unreal Engine.

This was a recipe for disaster.

However, I believe the fans have gotten the GTR3 we were hoping for: Assetto Corsa Competizione. That's the closest we've gotten to a GTR2 successor than we'll ever get in probably 10 years, and ACC is a damn good title.

Everybody wants another GTR2 quality sim, but nobody seems to have any idea about the amount of work it takes to produce a title with all of the bells and whistles GTR2 had.
GTR2 is still one of my favorite if not my most favorite racing sim. And in fact I'm replaying the 2003 season again right now. I geeked out on it so bad when I first started play it, that I did a bunch or research on the title and it's producers.
It's been a while so I may not have a perfect memory of it now. Simbin went through hell in the production of said game. They had to restructure/finance twice before they were done. Ian Bell who was heading the project for Blimey studios has never even tried to match the title because it was so much work. But the end product was so good that today 15 years after it's release it still has a following. A small following yes, but still...
So why hasn't anybody followed through with the same level of detail? Money, all those little details are considered extraneous and not needed because of the cost of doing it. And yet It's one of the reasons I keep going back to that title.
So if Simbin UK is struggling I'm sure it's not from being lazy or incompetent. If you've never done anything like it, maybe you should look into how much work goes into this kind of moving art before you start whining about time and delays.

Everybody wants another GTR2 quality sim, but nobody seems to have any idea about the amount of work it takes to produce a title with all of the bells and whistles GTR2 had.
GTR2 is still one of my favorite if not my most favorite racing sim. And in fact I'm replaying the 2003 season again right now. I geeked out on it so bad when I first started play it, that I did a bunch or research on the title and it's producers.
It's been a while so I may not have a perfect memory of it now. Simbin went through hell in the production of said game. They had to restructure/finance twice before they were done. Ian Bell who was heading the project for Blimey studios has never even tried to match the title because it was so much work. But the end product was so good that today 15 years after it's release it still has a following. A small following yes, but still...
So why hasn't anybody followed through with the same level of detail? Money, all those little details are considered extraneous and not needed because of the cost of doing it. And yet It's one of the reasons I keep going back to that title.
So if Simbin UK is struggling I'm sure it's not from being lazy or incompetent. If you've never done anything like it, maybe you should look into how much work goes into this kind of moving art before you start whining about time and delays.
Than don't sell smoke and don't tease people over and over again for nothing. That is the main mistake SimbinUk keeps on doing again and again. Just work, keep silent, don't build a community and shut it down, and talk just when you have something in hands.

Last edited:
You seem to be assuming that they were going for another bells and whistles game, nothing they ever said indicated that was the case. They hinted at some series and from what I remember they got that mixed up.
No one is denying the difficulties or cost of producing and developing racing games, and no modern studio yet as succeeded in puting out a game that meets all the expectations of its customers but the ham fisted way Simbin.uk went about things doesn't inspire confidence in their abilities to deliver such a complicated endeavour.
Like you I love GTR2 and play it regularly but I have no illusions that it's likely to be replaced by GTR3 any time soon, if ever.

Out of curiosity, this GTR2, how good are the physics compared to AC and does GTR2 support the G29 wheel?
With update patches from @GTR233 and others I personally love the driving feel, but I need to point out that I bought it on the day of release and have never stopped playing it.
It's fair to say that modern sims have possibly more in depth physics and yes the graphics are obviously a bit dated but I still think it can compete on the sheer driving/racing side of things.
But as you know one man's great fun sim is another's disappointment.
I don't see why it wouldn't support your wheel.

Just work, keep silent, don't build a community and shut it down, and talk just when you have something in hands.

IMO they are simply fishing for investors.

The discord channel was probably just a way to show potential investors "hey look, we have a community of N people waiting for the game.".. "give us the tools and we'll finish the job" :p

The impression is that no actual development went into it apart from some borrowed asset imported into UE4 for a couple of screenshots.

It's a pretty standard practice in the world of gamedev although pretty rare to see in racing games.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 342 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%
  • < 5 years