I think SimBin is in a really difficult position. The sim market is very crowded right now and they appear to be wanting to make a game that on the surface seems like it will be exactly the same as ACC: same cars, same series, same tracks. To me, the GTR series was all about the FIA GT1 & GT2 category that Stephane Ratel ran as a championship in the post-BPR era, which in today's guise is closest in form to GTE, which is run by the ACO, and GT3, which is still under Ratel's stewardship but licensed to ACC.

SimBin could focus on making a game based around GTE, however the ACO recently announced plans to create their own sim based on the European Le Mans Series and the Le Mans 24 Hour, so that category is tied up too.

With the market as it is, we have a bunch of games based around a wide range of categories (GTS, iRacing, Race Room, Assetto Corsa, rFactor) with a handful that focus closely on a narrow set of categories (ACC, F1, and the upcoming LM24h sim). So where is the best place for GTR3 to find it's market? What point of difference does it have that will attract players? And if it aims to fill the same slot as an existing game, will they be able to make it good enough that it is able to displace an already established title?

I wouldn't buy a GTR3 game anyways. Totally fed up with modern car sims and all the GT3 stuff (have ACC and removed it from SSD already, rF2 has only historic content and mods, same with AC, etc). My cup of tea are old cars, the ones that want to kill you and need to be driven properly, with clutch and manual gears, heel-and-toe and all the dance on the pedals. That being said, I recognize that I'm part of 0.032% preference on the simracing community nowadays (maybe lower?) but a GT Legends 2 title would be an instabuy for me! :) There's a HUGE void regarding classic/old cars on racing sim scene, and I'm waiting/hoping for some studio to fill in.

Exactly! In terms of marketing there are very few opportunities and a classic racing title is one of them. The others are IndyCar racing + old school cars/tracks, LeMans, TCR which is more or less taken by RaceRoom and that's it :) GT3 cars is Assetto Corsa's territory... it's their specialty and they are working closely with all the manufacturers/teams.

Dang, that's too bad. The screenshots looks great...had a lot of fun with GTR2 years ago, hopefully this doesn't turn into another...well, I guess everyone else had the same thought about Racing Legends..
well history is repeating itself, last post by the West brothers on RL forum was something like "we're going to work in private from now on" and we all know how it ended, and basically it's the same thing Simbin said today in their discord server

big-poster-serie-i-want-to-believe-arquivo-x-tam-90x60-cm-posters-de-series.png

It's a shame really, but not surprising. It seems that they don't even know what this game will be. They only showed us a few rendered images with R3E assets.
At this point i think the best case scenario is we get UE4 for R3E and the worst case is Simbin goes under and takes S3 with them.

Last edited:
well history is repeating itself, last post by the West brothers on RL forum was something like "we're going to work in private from now on" and we all know how it ended, and basically it's the same thing Simbin said today in their discord server
Yeah, saw that, I guess we'll either get a game at some point or we won't, I'm not holding out much hope though, 2020 really put a damper on a lot of projects it seems.

If I had my way, GTR3 would be a remake of GTR2, simulating the official FIA GT1 2004 and 2005 series with all period accurate tracks , but with modern graphics, physics, ffb, sounds, weather and day/night effects.
Something like that would be pretty cool, I'd love to see something like that but going through the decades, kind of like the old TOCA games, but more SIM oriented. Heck, I'd love to see a spiritual successor to the Project Gotham games but with modern physics/graphics. Ah well..

Frankly, I don't even care one bit. This project has never felt serious for a minute. I think that latest announcement is one more sign that this so-called Simbin studio has been bullsh*tting everybody from the start. My feeling is that they've been trying to attract investors and couldn't get any.

More importantly: do we really need *yet another* game featuring GT cars? Aren't ACC, AMS2, rFactor, R3E and Assetto Corsa enough?

I joined that discord server with little hope or expectation, but I was expecting at least something in the way of tangible news.

Oh well. I went in with nothing, came away with nothing, lost nothing. (Except time, life, optimism, hope, good will).

Last edited:
Bad news... I genuinely had some hope for this title to see (finally) the light of the day, sooner or later.
I'm a bit disappointed. Not totally, just because so far nothing surfaced to give us something real to hope for. I just can hope they won't take too long before showing us something of GTR3. After their statement I believe they're going to deliver something, eventually, I don't know when, but I'm sure they will. WEC licence would be good or IMSA!

those screenshots look great though! but yeah, hard to market another GT3 game, unless the career mode was way more serious , like in F1 codemasters games

I imagine they already sank a lot of money in it though, so it would be nice to release at least something

Geoff Crammonds' Grand Prix series and Simbins' GTR series set the bar waaaaayyyyyyy back. Kunos picked up the bar and raised it even higher. Like many have said here, I believe a WEC or IMSA license would be a step in the right direction. I'm a little to old to drive the LMP cars and all there "wizardry", but I love driving the GT2/LM/E cars with the fast boys in the LMP cars. When I used to organize races here, we started a Multi class race every other Saturday or so and it was always standing room only. It took us a bit to learn to "dance" together, fast and slow cars, but once we had some time under our belts they usually went fairly well and it was really satisfying to finish the races and see the enthusiasm. Let's hope Simbin make it across the finish line with a title that lives up too the GTR Legacy. If they do, we may all be pleasantly surprised.

it's unfortunate but not out of the ordinary with smaller studios, the only thing I'm concerned about is that if they already licensed a bunch of content in the past couple years... when they eventually release the game, they'll be really old. hope they work out the issues and release a game worthy of the name GTR.

Look at the bright side: GTR2 cars are officially "Classics". If they wait a few more years they can just rebrand GTR2 as GT Legends and call it a day. Maybe with marketing emphasizing "The look and feel of vintage 2005 simracing".

I gave up on this title coming around 7 years ago. They just need to come out and say "Look guys, we can't do it. So, our employees have decided to lend their talents to other companies". It would be nice but look at the OUTDATED Bentley. They should just (if they can)become the sole lincensee of IMSA which include their GT4/TC series.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 369 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing