• We are currently in the process of upgrading our forum software. During this period some parts of the site may be periodically unavailable.

GTR 3 | Simbin To Close Discord Channel - Yet More Delays For Troubled Title

Linkendorf

10RPM
Premium
well history is repeating itself, last post by the West brothers on RL forum was something like "we're going to work in private from now on" and we all know how it ended, and basically it's the same thing Simbin said today in their discord server
Yeah, saw that, I guess we'll either get a game at some point or we won't, I'm not holding out much hope though, 2020 really put a damper on a lot of projects it seems.

If I had my way, GTR3 would be a remake of GTR2, simulating the official FIA GT1 2004 and 2005 series with all period accurate tracks , but with modern graphics, physics, ffb, sounds, weather and day/night effects.
Something like that would be pretty cool, I'd love to see something like that but going through the decades, kind of like the old TOCA games, but more SIM oriented. Heck, I'd love to see a spiritual successor to the Project Gotham games but with modern physics/graphics. Ah well..

Kingkoenig

25RPM
Frankly, I don't even care one bit. This project has never felt serious for a minute. I think that latest announcement is one more sign that this so-called Simbin studio has been bullsh*tting everybody from the start. My feeling is that they've been trying to attract investors and couldn't get any.

More importantly: do we really need *yet another* game featuring GT cars? Aren't ACC, AMS2, rFactor, R3E and Assetto Corsa enough?

Stuntman Daz

75RPM
Premium
I joined that discord server with little hope or expectation, but I was expecting at least something in the way of tangible news.

Oh well. I went in with nothing, came away with nothing, lost nothing. (Except time, life, optimism, hope, good will).

Last edited:

Tigerteeth

50RPM
No they didn't, this Simbin has nothing in common with the original one other than the name, which they are in the process of tarnishing.
They have produced nothing other than screenshots and announcements.

Well yes, the name obviously.

delpinsky

250RPM
Bad news... I genuinely had some hope for this title to see (finally) the light of the day, sooner or later.
I'm a bit disappointed. Not totally, just because so far nothing surfaced to give us something real to hope for. I just can hope they won't take too long before showing us something of GTR3. After their statement I believe they're going to deliver something, eventually, I don't know when, but I'm sure they will. WEC licence would be good or IMSA!

Patrik Marek

2000RPM
Premium
those screenshots look great though! but yeah, hard to market another GT3 game, unless the career mode was way more serious , like in F1 codemasters games

I imagine they already sank a lot of money in it though, so it would be nice to release at least something

Bobby Pennington

8000RPM
Premium
Geoff Crammonds' Grand Prix series and Simbins' GTR series set the bar waaaaayyyyyyy back. Kunos picked up the bar and raised it even higher. Like many have said here, I believe a WEC or IMSA license would be a step in the right direction. I'm a little to old to drive the LMP cars and all there "wizardry", but I love driving the GT2/LM/E cars with the fast boys in the LMP cars. When I used to organize races here, we started a Multi class race every other Saturday or so and it was always standing room only. It took us a bit to learn to "dance" together, fast and slow cars, but once we had some time under our belts they usually went fairly well and it was really satisfying to finish the races and see the enthusiasm. Let's hope Simbin make it across the finish line with a title that lives up too the GTR Legacy. If they do, we may all be pleasantly surprised.

it's unfortunate but not out of the ordinary with smaller studios, the only thing I'm concerned about is that if they already licensed a bunch of content in the past couple years... when they eventually release the game, they'll be really old. hope they work out the issues and release a game worthy of the name GTR.

Sk3ptik0n

1000RPM
Premium
Look at the bright side: GTR2 cars are officially "Classics". If they wait a few more years they can just rebrand GTR2 as GT Legends and call it a day. Maybe with marketing emphasizing "The look and feel of vintage 2005 simracing".

Isaac Chavira

Livery Designer
Premium
I gave up on this title coming around 7 years ago. They just need to come out and say "Look guys, we can't do it. So, our employees have decided to lend their talents to other companies". It would be nice but look at the OUTDATED Bentley. They should just (if they can)become the sole lincensee of IMSA which include their GT4/TC series.

Last edited:
Classy statement from Simbin. They seem like a genuinely good studio with the right mindset.

From a market perspective, I think licensing a WEC title would be the best way forward. Going GT3 will make it a real challenge to garner interest from the ACC community. ACC is a mature and polished GT3 sim, having been around for a few years now. Kunos had the opportunity to fine tune and build on it.

Simbin would virtually be starting from scratch in comparison to Kunos. Doesn't mean they will fail physics wise to ACC but that its more likely it won't be as good due the aforementioned maturity and polish of ACC.

But there is opportunity and potential in a WEC style sim in my opinion. Regardless, I hope they can move forward because they've always been a great studio and enjoyed all their sims from the original GTR, GT Legends, all the way to Race 07/GTR Evo

Of course, there's a couple issues. First, and biggest, Motorsport Games (rf2) owns that license.
Then, there's the smaller issues, like the fact that for a proper WEC game, you need hybrid, which is only currently present in the iRacing and AC engine.

I gave up on this title coming around 7 years ago. They just need to come out and say "Look guys, we can't do it. So, our employees have decided to lend their talents to other companies". It would be nice but look at the OUTDATED Bentley. They should just (if they can)become the sole lincensee of IMSA which include their GT4/TC series.

iRacing basically has this license for however long they want

Cheesenium

500RPM

Technically, T10 of Forza Motorsports has access to IMSA license.

Yeah, they did jack **** with it, other than loads of historic cars that drive almost the same.

Gopher04

1000RPM
Oh the shock and horror of it, didn't see that one coming...Oh yeh I did Duke Nukem strikes again..:roflmao:

Terry Rock

2000RPM
There is already an overwhelming amount of content out there with the same types of cars, tracks, etc...
I'm not sure if GTR3 were released today, if it could gain any traction.
I think it'd be way too late, with ACC already out there dominating this sector.
Maybe they...and other studios should concentrate on the untapped areas like vintage racing.
Heck!...finish what the West Brothers were proposing or do some old saloon racing cars.
There really has not been anything released to that audience since GT Legends.