RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't BMW one of easier to drive in class? I only owned Porsche before and then I wanted to change so I tested Corvette, Audi, Merc and BMW. And for BMW it took me the least number of laps to feel comfortable to push and not make mistakes. Times were similar more or less, at least on my pace.

The M6 is definitely the car that gives the shortest route to reasonably fast lap times. It's not actually faster but it just seems to take less time to reach a decent time. Sounds absolutely atrocious though. I understand why people choose it - we all want to be fast and people may not have the time to do a 2 hour practice session tinkering with the set up on the Mustang to make it competitive.

I'm as fast in the AMG as I am in the BMW (just about), it has just taken longer to hit the same times, with more practice and I'm flogging the poor thing to make it do the times. It's been an enjoyable developmental journey for me though. I wouldn't change it.

In my fantasy world we don't even choose our own cars. Goffik would livestream a tombola and randomly pick out each driver's individual car for the 4 races and that's what we are stuck with in the quest to improve our driving abilities. A man can dream...

In my fantasy world we don't even choose our own cars. Goffik would livestream a tombola and randomly pick out each driver's individual car for the 4 races and that's what we are stuck with in the quest to improve our driving abilities. A man can dream...

Love this idea. Also like the idea of being 'randomly' assigned (or Ross could choose based on car/ability) a team mate at the start of the series, and it's your combined points that go towards the championship. Then you could help each other find time on different circuits, share tips, setups etc. Would add a different element!

Last edited:
I know why people are choosing the M6 but it doesn't change the fact that I find having so many of the same car on the grid intensely boring. Maybe if this was an actual league then being in the "easiest" or "fastest" car would matter. But this is club racing, the ideal place to try new things and practice new cars.

In my fantasy world we don't even choose our own cars. Goffik would livestream a tombola and randomly pick out each driver's individual car for the 4 races and that's what we are stuck with in the quest to improve our driving abilities.
See the RDGTC 2017 where we did exactly that. The whinging when people didn't get a car they liked was horrendous, and some people bailed the championship before it even started after the draw. I got assigned the BMW Z4, which at the time was known to be slow on the straights but a demon on the brakes. Had never driven it before and it was fun to learn it's quirks. But that's just me I guess.

Also like the idea of being 'randomly' assigned (or Ross could choose based on car/ability) a team mate at the start of the series, and it's your combined points that go towards the championship.
I'd love to do a team series, but the drop-in-and-out nature doesn't really make them viable unfortunately. I can't ask for full commitment from people in club races.

This would be good, maybe the best to have people say during signup if they want to be randomly assigned. That's just to keep new drivers interested. Hell I even do it now if it's not spec series I more or less choose random car. Most of them I never drove before race here. :D

I know why people are choosing the M6 but it doesn't change the fact that I find having so many of the same car on the grid intensely boring. Maybe if this was an actual league then being in the "easiest" or "fastest" car would matter. But this is club racing, the ideal place to try new things and practice new cars.

See the RDGTC 2017 where we did exactly that. The whinging when people didn't get a car they liked was horrendous, and some people bailed the championship before it even started after the draw. I got assigned the BMW Z4, which at the time was known to be slow on the straights but a demon on the brakes. Had never driven it before and it was fun to learn it's quirks. But that's just me I guess.

I think the motivations vary for people in sim racing. As you said, you got the Z4 and had to discover the way to get the time from it and enjoyed the process. I also enjoy this.

Some people aren't as bothered about this and just want a relatively easy car to drive that they won't bin and may get an okay result in, even it it means half the grid is in the same car. You could maybe argue the more informal nature of club racing actually amplifies such a feeling.

You could maybe argue the more informal nature of club racing actually amplifies such a feeling.
I think it's the opposite. In leagues everyone goes with the statistically "fastest" car because they see it as more competitive. That's actually why we did a random draw in the RDGTC 2017, to prevent everyone showing up in the Ford GT. (At that time it had a big straight-line speed advantage over everything.)

I don't know, it just seems a waste of time having multi-car events if most people drive the same thing. There are enough single-car classes in R3E already.

I think it's the opposite. In leagues everyone goes with the statistically "fastest" car because they see it as more competitive. That's actually why we did a random draw in the RDGTC 2017, to prevent everyone showing up in the Ford GT. (At that time it had a big straight-line speed advantage over everything.)

I don't know, it just seems a waste of time having multi-car events if most people drive the same thing. There are enough single-car classes in R3E already.

I don't doubt that in league racing many would go for the fastest. I suppose my point was that the informal nature of club racing - in that you can easily drop in to a race, maybe a driver is going in with little practice/track knowledge prior to actually racing etc could also generate a similar outcome. Understandably people may default to a certain vehicle.

In please Ross
BMW M6 #7A ( Bemmer boy for long time ehehe:p...)
I didnt go on track to test it yet, but Im glad to know it is fast. Nice:D

(Even in ACC, in which the M6 is (or was) kind of a underdog no one picked, I always took the big "tank" to the track, most of times the only one there... so there:geek:)

Or a simple rule could be that one is only able to race a certain car for 1 race. Then you'd be forced to use 4 different cars. I know that idea has a few minor downsides, but it could work.

Even in ACC, in which the M6 is (or was) kind of a underdog no one picked, I always took the big "tank" to the track, most of times the only one there... so there:geek:
I'm not disputing beemers are some people's favourite cars regardless of performance. Mine is Porsche, which I often drove in GTR 3 events before this series, despite it being a difficult car to drive fast. However, we didn't have grids full of Z4's before the M6 was released... :cautious:

Or a simple rule could be that one is only able to race a certain car for 1 race. Then you'd be forced to use 4 different cars. I know that idea has a few minor downsides, but it could work.
I quite like that idea actually, sounds fun. The track list is always available before the series begins, so you'd have to decide which would be best for your favourite, and work down from there.

Last edited:
I quite like that idea actually, sounds fun. The track list is always available before the series begins, so you'd have to decide which would be best for your favourite, and work down from there.

Yeh it's a good idea, although it relies on people owning more than one car. I'm now the proud owner of just the 650S and the AMG, because I'm too tight to buy the whole class :whistling:

Or we could just let other people drive what they want, and feel extra smug that not only am I vegan, but I also chose a car that wasn't the beamer ;) :D

Best car if you want to sip beer and have a smoke , GT4? Or porche cayman
M6 # 3 pls , yes people say it’s the cheater car ,anyone interested in a GR4 class next?
GT4

My dynamic BOP suggestion:
For each event, apply ballast to each driver according to the following formula:
(Cumulative Points Standings)/(2 * # of rounds completed), rounded to the nearest 5 kg

I feel like this could be a good compromise in principle and could create some interesting results. Maybe just using points accrued/ positions at the most recent meeting?

anyone interested in a GT4 class next?
Kind of because they're good for close racing, but we've already done a GT4 Series. I feel there are still a few great classes we haven't visited yet.

For each event, apply ballast to each driver according to the following formula:
Another idea I genuinely like (especially the last bit!), though I'm thinking this is getting a bit complicated for club racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 334 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 225 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 170 7.9%