GTR 2 VR Support! (Not asking, telling!)

Are you using the new ffbSteeringFrictionSpeedWeightMaxKMH and find it useful?

I'm using the latest CC plugin before the very latest beta one from last week, unless it is on by default then no but now you've mentioned I'll check and then try. To be honest, my friend is a hard-core iracing fanatic and it was he who said GTR2 (with your plugin and ffb refresh unlock settings etc..) feels like iracing - he was well impressed! And BTW your latest reshade VR preset looks amazing on my triples - I know it's for VR but the triples with the preset, very very nice indeed.

I'm using the latest CC plugin before the very latest beta one from last week, unless it is on by default then no but now you've mentioned I'll check and then try. To be honest, my friend is a hard-core iracing fanatic and it was he who said GTR2 (with your plugin and ffb refresh unlock settings etc..) feels like iracing - he was well impressed! And BTW your latest reshade VR preset looks amazing on my triples - I know it's for VR but the triples with the preset, very very nice indeed.
Nice to hear :) Latest FFB feature tries to make steering heavier with speed, but it is very early simple initial attempt. Unfortunately, currently I cannot figure out when wheel alignment after crash is off, so I can't add a bit of force to pull towards center (because I don't know where the center is). I am curious if anyone else finds this feature an improvement as is.

Generally, I do not enable anything but core fixes by default, because it will surprise people who do not read changelog and it also makes catching regressions easier. Flat spots work great, but imagine the surprise of someone who doesn't know they are enabled :)

My preset is not "VR only", it does make sense that you like it on triples. The only VRness is that it does not include super heavy effects like RTGI that are currently too slow for VR. But even if I ran 2D yeah, settings would be the same, just 1-2 additional ultra advanced ray tracing effects on top.

Guys, I really thank you for the help, but I do want to get something out of the way.
See, I'm guessing (or: reading between the lines) that I'm not reading enough, not doing enough to comprehend all this stuff.
Fact is, I do.
I know nothing comes easy, was there with GP2 and made mods, altered a bunch, rF1, rF2 and you probably know, in those days, rF2 had a LOT of stuff to alter before you could properly drive.
Been there, done that with all kinds of games, well, racing games. I had to figure a lot out, find it on the www and so on.

The problems I now encounter, like the proper api not being in the file, the VR.CMD not showing up as supposed to (as written here) or getting the cmd in there whilst having the bordered screen set properly and still getting out of reach in the vr window, the "britton" folder in program files x86 not being there, are things that you can't really search for.......You can't put that in Google because you won't get the same problem showing up.
For me: I can follow the instructions, but when that goes bottoms up, I don't know anymore and I fiddle around.
One of those is asking.
I said I wouldn't do that anymore and it's no problem if it doesn't come together, it's not life-ending, but don't think of me as someone that just goes asking.

All good @Navigator. I did not mean to school you (but please also understand my experience, I deal with a lot of questions that indicate 0 effort put in, so it's just a build up). But in any case - let's move on, I see you put effort, good! Now I will help. And I accept the fact that instructions have bugs, and I update them (thanks for catching missing openvr file).

What is your concrete next question where you are stuck? Are you wondering about missing Britton IT folder? That folder is from app called Crew Chief. This app is related to my plugin, but is not required technically. App can be downloaded from thecrewchief.org. The app contains now outdated version of my plugin, but most people get my plugin that way (from the app). The entire plugin started because I ported my rF2 code for GTR2 to connect to CC app (with Sparten's help). CC app itself is AI team chief/spotter that talks to you and you can talk to - it's amazing. HTH.

Last edited:
Thanks @The Iron Wolf but you would keep busy.
The Britton folder is okay, as I understood, it should be there and thus I thought something was wrong.
For instance, something I encountered in the very beginning: the default 800x600 gives the error I first showed in a screenshot: I noticed that when the plugin and dll are in there, I have to set a minimal of 1280x768x32 to get the game started.
Those are all small things that make me search, trying to figure it out and when (some) code says I should look or copy out of the Britton folder, I try and go there.

Setting the windowed mode works, I set it and checked it in the games "config.ini" also and locked the file too.
Note: done this over and over with locked, not locked and so on.
The VR.cmd in there with the proper files (can't remember, writing this on my laptop as I can't write on the gaming system) still makes the screen way to large and I can not get to the lower buttons, making me not able to start the game or ending it.
In that cmd file, the resolution is 3440 x 1440 and I tried setting it back to something I could get in the picture. But that is no good resolution of course and the screen is stuttering then, even though there is plenty of headroom for mem, cpu and gpu.

All that stuff is just "tinkering with it", making combinations and keep moving.
In the end I will get there.
Last night, it didn't leave me alone and so: I did an "all-nighter" :)
Was a wreck at work today, tomorrow a very early meeting at the other side of the country, so I shut myself off and try to keep it out off my mind for now ;)

Thanks @The Iron Wolf
For instance, something I encountered in the very beginning: the default 800x600 gives the error I first showed in a screenshot: I noticed that when the plugin and dll are in there, I have to set a minimal of 1280x768x32 to get the game started.
^ this is because game is very old and has problems running on modern computers. This gets better as soon as you install the plugin (because it has bunch of critical age related GTR2 fixes), and I tried to make that clear in the manual, but somehow people still get confused that GTR2 has hard time running in correct resolution. Oh well. The widespread workaround is running as administrator and compatibility modes, but this is not needed with plugin and is harmful because doing so disables modern OS features/optimizations which are especially important in VR and causes other problems as well - such as, if you use multiple sim tools they may also need to run as administrator, unsafe and unnecessary practice.

One suggestion: set your GTR2 borderless window resolution to match the desktop size. That way mouse stays in the window. Running smaller window makes no difference in performance.

Buttons too large, from the manual:
1713216142729.png

Even better, use Vulkan not DX9 (if your HW supports it), see "DXVK Integration" section.

Last edited:
I tried to make that clear in the manual, but somehow people still
Sorry mate, I can see (and understand) you already getting tired of me.
Maybe I missed some, but searching, tinkering and doing all kinds of stuff to get it working can be a bit chaotic sometimes.

I go my way and if it doesn't work: it's not the end of the world, there are numerous games out there and maybe I'm getting just to old and need something "out of the box" now.
Thanks and sorry.

Sorry mate, I can see (and understand) you already getting tired of me.
Maybe I missed some, but searching, tinkering and doing all kinds of stuff to get it working can be a bit chaotic sometimes.

I go my way and if it doesn't work: it's not the end of the world, there are numerous games out there and maybe I'm getting just to old and need something "out of the box" now.
Thanks and sorry.
I think this is some kind of misunderstanding - you have nothing to be sorry about and, let me know if you have further questions - I do not mind them when user puts actual effort. However, I can understand how difficult this is. Last week when you asked for basic VR steps, I jumped in and shared steps. However, later during the weekend I regretted my post because I realized - there are so many further complexities I forgot about in the moment - right window size, borderless, high DPI setting, mouse cursor issues (that I can't fix because I have only one HMD) etc etc etc. Yep, unfortunately it is not simple, not plug and play, oh well! Sorry for misleading instructions I guess.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back