GTR 2 - Shuttdown to desktop

EDIT: Hi guys!
Just deleted it all and gave a it a go with a fresh install of PnG3 with every tip and it works!! Maybe it was limiting the fps to 120 that got it :/

EDIT 2: Fresh install of GTR2. Not much HQstuff, I run it on medium. Funny thing, I tried a pratice, alone, and it flickered to the desktop ocasionally, but running and then it stops and runs ok.
Funny no?
But it runs thats that. i will inform i anything changes :/

Will try with GTR2 and keep you guys posted...

Thanks again!!
Hi guys,

Just reinstalled my late GTR2, as I got a new G29.

Until here, super. Followed the installation, but got a bit confused because the Nvidia profiler didn't start.
I kept going with the installation, and I got the game running. The thing is, as I play, 10 or 15 mins sometimes less, it shutdowns and goes to the desktop.
i lowered the specs and still, it keeps shutting down. It doesn't crash, simply goes away.
I attached my specs. It is a Toshiba LapTop.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hi
Yeah, only thing that didn't went like the guide was the nvidiaprofiler. Is it because I have an AMD gpu?
I have gt legends and it runs great. Got the anniversary patch and ot runs.
I dont have any mods on my GTR2 installation.
I allocated 2 cores minimum, amd gpu ( its a laptop) but still no go. ‍♂️
Thank you

Hi
Yeah, only thing that didn't went like the guide was the nvidiaprofiler. Is it because I have an AMD gpu?
I have gt legends and it runs great. Got the anniversary patch and ot runs.
I dont have any mods on my GTR2 installation.
I allocated 2 cores minimum, amd gpu ( its a laptop) but still no go. ‍♂
Thank you
Edit: sorry, I misunderstood you situation, game starts but shuts down, nevermind my post :)

Is it Steam gtr2.exe? There's a fix for Steam gtr2.exe that fixes the startup crashes, at least the ones I know of.

Last edited:
On laptop you must tell via Graphics control panel to use your gpu for both gtr2config.exe and gtr2.exe otherwise it will use integrated graphics which are not powerful enough.
When you run gtr2config.exe, which graphic card is detected ?

As its name says, nvidia profile is for nvidia cards, for AMD you have RadeonMod :

Last edited:
On laptop you must tell via Graphics control panel to use your gpu for both gtr2config.exe and gtr2.exe otherwise it will use integrated graphics which are not powerful enough.
When you run gtr2config.exe, which graphic card is detected ?

As its name says, nvidia profile is for nvidia cards, for AMD you have RadeonMod :

Hi there! thanks for the reply!

I'm using the AMD GPU. In the Config Menu it appears the MAD one and I choose it.

Just installed the AMD mod....now, I'm a bit lost :S

What should I do?

Last edited:
Do you have any message from windows after CTD ?
Try to run GTR2_DEBUG.CMD, after CTD the log file should be opened automatically : scroll down to the 5 last lines of txt file to see if gtr2 reported any error.

But, the lap top continues to function perfectly, the game shuts down and every thing else just keeps on going.

Had similar issues with a desktop Gpu that I OC.
The GPU crashed I could often hear the Gtr2 sound continue and sometimes the graphics came back.
Was mainly Gtr2 that coursed the issue while dx11 games was unaffected.

My guess is the gpu crashes due to overheating.
You can use MSi + RivaTunerStaticalserver to check your GPU temperature and a lot of other stuff.
Or just check your fps with Ctrl+F see what your average fps are and limited it a tad lower.

Laptops often get the fans clocked with dust.
Try using a vacuum cleaner on the fan intake and outlet and see if the issue gets better or even go away.

You are suggesting you are in-game and next thing you know, game is gone and you are looking at your desktop?
Computer runs fine and if you open up any other program after the GTR2 crash it works fine?

Last edited:
Had similar issues with a desktop Gpu that I OC.
The GPU crashed I could often hear the Gtr2 sound continue and sometimes the graphics came back.
Was mainly Gtr2 that coursed the issue while dx11 games was unaffected.

My guess is the gpu crashes due to overheating.
You can use MSi + RivaTunerStaticalserver to check your GPU temperature and a lot of other stuff.
Or just check your fps with Ctrl+F see what your average fps are and limited it a tad lower.

Laptops often get the fans clocked with dust.
Try using a vacuum cleaner on the fan intake and outlet and see if the issue gets better or even go away.
but is it normal? it is the only game. I even lowred my graphics to medium/low ingame, and allocated only one core, but still nothing. my previous laptop, wich was a toshiba i5, ran it pretty good.

will try and clean the fans. or get a an extra exterior cooling fan

Just looked at it and I don't see error messages so your issue doesn't come from gtr2 itself but more a hardware issue : either memory (but in this case windows prompts a message box...that you did not see) or overheating.

but is it normal? it is the only game. I even lowred my graphics to medium/low ingame, and allocated only one core, but still nothing. my previous laptop, wich was a toshiba i5, ran it pretty good.

No it should not be normal but for me with the Gpu overheating it was only Gtr2 than did it. Only got sims so not saying much.

I would not limited to single core.
Try limited FPS that will off load the Gpu some.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.8%