GTR 2 & GT Legends Oculus Rift CV1 Setup Tutorial for vorpX

I. Get game(s) running well in Windows
  1. Set affinity using preferred app, (I use Radeon Pro)
    T9K7unT.png
  2. Use CFF explorer to allow GTR2.exe and GTL.exe to accept more ram.
    YfqKWkT.png
    1RARw98.png
    X3tiPac.png
  3. Check - App can handle >2gb address space, and then save.
  4. For GT Legends in Windows 10, I had to switch compatibility to Windows 7 and Run as Administrator. If there is a problem launching the game(s) its most likely due to compatibility and/or administrator rights.
II. Setup opentrack
Both games support TrackIR, which makes it easy to setup decent head tracking.
  1. Download latest release of open track.
  2. Make sure the output is set to TrackIR only.
    rQYmPxQ.png
    VOPdNxr.png
  3. This is where you set inverse settings if the head track is mixed up. My roll was backwards, it really messed with my stomach.
    jRFziz7.png
  4. Set the x,y,z mapping translation to 100cm
    VnHediX.png
  5. To start tracking just hit start, leave running in background, GTR2, GT Legends will automatically pick it up.
  6. I recommend setting a hotkey for centering under Options->Shortcuts. Mine is set to a button on my steering wheel.
III. Setup up for VR using vorpX
  1. Set FOV in "where GTR2.exe is installed"/UserData/defviews.cam
    nriykWx.png
  2. Setup in game TrackIR settings under "where GTR2.exe is installed"/UserData/"your profile name"/"your profile name".PLR
    ay4ttPd.png
  3. Game is now ready to run with vorpX.
  • Disable vorpX head tracking, it will interfere with opentrack.

I've seen a video about vorpx in F1 2018 and it seems the head tracking is not working fine in vorpx full VR mode and that the object scale is wrong. So the guy uses the immersive vorpx mode which seems the same than using the oculus bigscreen feature.
That's quiet confusing. If I can use tridef, opentrack
And oculus big screen with the same result, I don't see the point of vorpx. Is it possible to make it work really fine in full VR mode in the isi engine gsmes and the Codemasters' ones?

Anyone succeeded using opentrack with SteamVR based headset? I followed instructions, but I am getting severe lag and there seems to be somewhat non-linear tracking (accelerated/deccelarated). I am pretty sure it is possible to get it to work, just need to figure out how.

Vorpx tracking + cinema mode works pretty well, but seeing screen edges is not fun.

Last edited:
I do use SteamVR and have no issues with lag on Opentrack
Check you got headtracking off in VorpX
Check that Opentrack reads the axis correctly!
On my Lenovo the yaw is reversed.
I do use cinema mode a lot with the older games but VorpX is not the best for that!
Virtual Desktop and Reshade 3D is better and there are a couple of other options .
Will comeback with more info in a couple of days when I feel better.

I do use SteamVR and have no issues with lag on Opentrack
Check you got headtracking off in VorpX
Check that Opentrack reads the axis correctly!
On my Lenovo the yaw is reversed.
I do use cinema mode a lot with the older games but VorpX is not the best for that!
Virtual Desktop and Reshade 3D is better and there are a couple of other options .
Will comeback with more info in a couple of days when I feel better.
To clarify, I only care about achieving best possible VR in GTR2, so focus is on GTR2. My headset is SteamVR too, but it is using lighthouse tracking, not inside out tracking (Pimax 5K XR). I will try inverting axis more, I followed guide on a first page and inverted Y. But my issue seems to be tracking is kind of non-linear and unproportional. Yes, I tried turning vorpx tracking off just as guide says.

So far, I got best results with vorpx Full VR mode, Vorpx tracking and toggle mouse look in GTR2, something I used years ago with oculus HMD. That is not the smoothest tracking, but it is most natural I got and it doesn't look like I am sitting in front of a big screen/curved. But hopefully I'll get opentrack to work, as it is smoother.

Glad our paths crossed again :) Miss nogrip, get better.

Edit: yep, I played with filters and already got much better results, and opentrack is definitely the way to go eventually, as you actually move in space, whereas vorpx in full VR mode is just a mouse look.

Last edited:
Yay, I am getting closer and closer to _really_ good VR experience in VR with SteamVR/Pimax headset, this is hard to believe, and game is sooooooooooooo good, it even looks good. I just can't believe that damage implementation in game from 2006 is better than in many current titles, but anyway.

I have one issue: sometimes, GTR2 will start like this:

Restarting helps, but any ideas how could I fix it?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
Never seen that!
Maybe a pitool thing?

Sometimes Gtr2 starts with about 1/2 the normal FPS and your are better off restarting.
About that Bjarne - this morning I was testing various AA settings, and I was constantly getting 150FPS. I started game many times, and Affinty _was_ set.

Later, I started it and I have 400FPS. Any ideas what is going on?

Also, do you use ENBSeries with Vorpx?

Maybe!
I got a i7 so 4 cores and 4 HT.
I now keep HT on in bios so windows can use them.
Then I use Process Lasso and turn off the HT cores and let Gtr2 use the 4 real cores. It doesn't really make much difference if you let it use 2 or 4 cores. But I find it give me a real improvement to not use the HT cores.
By the way I do that for all my race sims but now also the more modern dx11 like PC2, AMS2 and RF2.
I still can get those 1/2 fps starts but not often.
No I do not use ENB, newer really liked the looks.
I have made some new shader's and added some other stuff that keeps gtr2 in dx9. Looks much better but have not tried it with VorpX.
Will send it to tomorrow with the other info I promised.

Maybe!
I got a i7 so 4 cores and 4 HT.
I now keep HT on in bios so windows can use them.
Then I use Process Lasso and turn off the HT cores and let Gtr2 use the 4 real cores. It doesn't really make much difference if you let it use 2 or 4 cores. But I find it give me a real improvement to not use the HT cores.
By the way I do that for all my race sims but now also the more modern dx11 like PC2, AMS2 and RF2.
I still can get those 1/2 fps starts but not often.
No I do not use ENB, newer really liked the looks.
I have made some new shader's and added some other stuff that keeps gtr2 in dx9. Looks much better but have not tried it with VorpX.
Will send it to tomorrow with the other info I promised.
Yes, please share your mappings and filter settings, curious to see them. I'll share too.

Yay, I am getting closer and closer to _really_ good VR experience in VR with SteamVR/Pimax headset, this is hard to believe, and game is sooooooooooooo good, it even looks good. I just can't believe that damage implementation in game from 2006 is better than in many current titles, but anyway.

I have one issue: sometimes, GTR2 will start like this:

Restarting helps, but any ideas how could I fix it?
That's a VorpX problem. I have exactly the same issue sometimes with AMS: strange letters across the screen. I have to end AMS through task manager and restart it to solve this.

One thing about VorpX is it doesn't deal well with programs that have a D3d9.dll in the root folder!
Like AMS got by default and if you use ENB or reshade or even DgVoodoo wrapper.
You can rename the d3d9.dll to something like V3d9.dll and the just hex edit the .exe and change instances of d3d9.dll to v3d9.dll
The motor games do work like that but you you can also get into a endless loop with config so better not doing it.

You are also better of not using AA with VorpX!
Driver MS or SS has no assess to Vorpx display driver anyway and you risk special MSAA will corrupt the dept buffer.
Just make the largest custom resolution your computer can handle is will work as SS in the headset
And no real point of using SteamVR SS ether as it is just wasted.
A real shame it isn't a true SteamVR app.

One thing about VorpX is it doesn't deal well with programs that have a D3d9.dll in the root folder!
Like AMS got by default and if you use ENB or reshade or even DgVoodoo wrapper.
You can rename the d3d9.dll to something like V3d9.dll and the just hex edit the .exe and change instances of d3d9.dll to v3d9.dll
The motor games do work like that but you you can also get into a endless loop with config so better not doing it.

You are also better of not using AA with VorpX!
Driver MS or SS has no assess to Vorpx display driver anyway and you risk special MSAA will corrupt the dept buffer.
Just make the largest custom resolution your computer can handle is will work as SS in the headset
And no real point of using SteamVR SS ether as it is just wasted.
A real shame it isn't a true SteamVR app.
You are right - many GTR2 plugins use d3d9.dll proxy and that conflicts with vorpx. Hex edit is a great idea. I am trying to create my own plugin, and I found a way to make Vorpx not mess with dlls - "Use alternative hooking method". I do not use ENB and stuff, but I learned this the hard way when vorpx clashed with my stuff.
fi
I also agree with you on SVR SS settings - it doesn't matter, I reached the same conclusion, resolution is what matters the most.

Regarding AA however, I figured something out. I use 8xMSAA + 8xSGSSAA in Inspector. But in order for it to work I have to set AA to 4 in gtr2config, but most importantly, I have to set "Enhance application settings" . If I set it to override, FPS drops very badly. With current settings I found GTR2 looks and runs amazing in Pimax with full FOV.

The only remaining issue is tracking, i managed to achieve good results with EMVA filter, and changing max distance on x, y, z from recommended 100cm to 30cm, it is good, but not perfect yet. Really curious to see Opentrack GTR2 filter and mapping settings from people relying on SteamVR tracking.

That's a VorpX problem. I have exactly the same issue sometimes with AMS: strange letters across the screen. I have to end AMS through task manager and restart it to solve this.
May I ask if you are using process lasso or any other affinity changing tools when you get this corruption? I wonder if it's a race with vorpx initialization, that can be avoided by changing affinity later.

I'm not using any affinity tools.
You should as you will gain 20-50% fps.
If you got HT cores I have found that allowing HT cores in bios and use Process Lasso to turn them of for the individual sims gives another 10-30% gain and more stable fps in ALL sims. Yes also the modern DX11 ones .
It allows windows to utilize the HT cores for services while not cripple the Sims.

May I ask if you are using process lasso or any other affinity changing tools when you get this corruption? I wonder if it's a race with vorpx initialization, that can be avoided by changing affinity later.

Been using Process Lasso for +5-6 years and newer seen thet corruptions you got so must be some other reason!

Setup Process Lasso. It is freeware but after a short time if will start with a nag screen for ~ 10 seconds.
Run Gtr2.exe in windows mode
After Gtr2 has started alt-tab it to minimize.
Then click Process Lasso on the task bar.
Find the line which shows GTR2.exe
Click on CPU select all cored always
Than select disable HT cores
On a i7 with 4 core + 4 Ht cores it should show you use core 0, 2, 4 and 6.
I also use Priority HIGH and I/O High
Kind of tell my self is is better but have no facts for Priority

You can do the same for GTL, Race 07, AMS 1+2, PC 2 , AC and RF2 and likely all sims.
O the Dx11 sims I get 5-10% higher fps.
Race 07 is the one that can give you up to 30%
But I special find that the fps not only are a little higher but also more stable.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.7%