GTL with Windows 7

Guess what?

After months and months of fine tuning their brand spanking new OS to make it uber compatible with every known application on earth, Microsoft have gone and ballsed it all up again.

GTL will not install in windows 7, at all.

Setup runs fine, then when i go to reboot, 7 fails to load and it goes into auto repair mode which does a system restore to undo the installation.

I have read up and it seems this is an issue with starforce drivers not being compatible, i've tried removing them and updating them but it jsut says that there are no drivers installed.

Is anyone else running GTL on 7, or do they know of a solution to this issue? Just under a week until RDHGP kicks off, either starforce or MS better get writing some patches!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Tom

@ Den i bought a pack with gtr ( boxed on its own with what looks like a code on the inside of the box on a little sticker 28 degits long) and in a second box gtr2 which also included gtl. (on the box it says game of the year addition) On the back of the instruction box there are 3 codes ...1=gtr online play code 28 degits long...2=take two interactive gtr2 online play code 28 digets long..3=starforce code gtl 25 degits long.. I did have the game working on xp and online. But soon upgraded with a new pc and vista then upgreaded to win 7x64 and couldnt get it to work so it sat there for months just looking at me but couldnt remember how i got online with it and after seeing your post on how to get it to work on win 7 i couldnt resist, i used code 2 to get gtl working online

I'm glad it helped and I haven't used WIN7 yet myself so just posted what I been given by others. I host the files because I've seen they are hosted in some cases by some pretty shifty(?) sites and wanted to make them available without worries about viruses and crap.

if i hadnt of seen a link to your site i wouldnt of bothered trying to install it with what i read about starforce, but it was the clear instructions that made it a dodle nice find and then hosting safe, trusted files, now ive got gtr2 working and gtl i had been useing the gtl download on the race series but it just didnt feel the same ... thanks for the help it was much appreciated...

The idea of raceing is great but at presant im recovering from a back and neck injury and find that it causes alot of pain when i spend to much time at the wheel. Its getting better but can only last about 20 mins before i have to get up and walk around and stretch. Its a real bummer. I cant even ride my mororbike, so ive been useing the time to get my pc all up and running in anticpation of my return ...i was looking at the trackIR in an atemp to keep my head moveing and this does help. I am due to start working again in 3 to 4 weeks ive had 3 months out of work and had to return to my parent from abroard (42 year old man return home) and dont want to mess this up but once i know i can work again and get back to my house in holland im sure raceing will be back on the agenda and would love to take part and join the great community which is Racedepartment... with thanks Rupe...

Strange thing guys, i've running windows 7 to (x64) but i don't have any problems with it; installing and playing GTL. So, i can only say that's possible to make it work! Take always a fresh installation.
I noticed with another game that often, when people talk about issues with a new OS (especially "intermittent" ones), the issue is actually with new kinds of hardware that usually go along with the new computers, so that could be it...

Tom, if it doesn't work there is a way to get it back, once you have installed GTL + the 1.1 patch but before you stick GTL light\2008 on, copy the UiData folder from your fresh install of GTL somewhere safe then install the GTL light delete the UiData and then move your orig. UiData folder back in and heypresto, English is back.

Sam
unfortunately not :( this step ruined my whole game :( After intro black screen, orange arrow and heypresto I can install everything again

Need assistance w\ GTL on W7, did all the steps. ???

Hi guys. I need a little extra help in trying to get gtl to run on Windows 7. I followed the steps recommended on page 8 of this thread to install from cd, patch w\ 1.1, run gtl light, remove the starforce drivers etc. The only step i did not complete was install the "money cheat" as I did not find it.

When I click the gtl.exe to start the game it tries to launch the game (you know the usual circle rotating when a program starts\loads) but after 3 - 6 seconds the circle disappears and it never does launch into the game, I am still at the desktop. Any ideas what i can do to fix this and get gtl to load and play?

Many thanks!

btw, I can login to Windows 7 no problem so I know I got rid of the starforce drivers.

As much as I tried, I couldn't get it to work with GTL Light-I just got a generic Windows error. Getting the "GTL 2008" crack worked just fine, though... there's a version somewhere with fixed sounds, I think it's actually linked in this thread somewhere...

Guide: How to play GT Legends on Windows 7

Here is my super definative guide to play GT Legends on Windows 7.

• Install GT Legends from your DVD (do not reboot)
  • Install v1.1 (download link)
  • Copy UIDATA and GAMEDATA to a safe location (This will overcome the issue with the game being german afterwards (GTL_Light was only available in Switzerland, Austria and Germany I believe))
  • Install GTL_Light, download it here
  • Copy all files to your GTL folder, replacing all conflicts and then run 'decompress.bat'
  • See quote below how to remove starforce drivers from system
Remove the device drivers. Select the System icon in your Windows Control Panel. Click the Device Manager button in the hardware tab and then select \"Show Hidden Devices\" from the View menu. Now check the Non-Plug and Play Drivers device tree, and you should find a few StarForce entries. Uninstall these.

Delete the system files. Browse to your C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder and look for a trio of files called sfdrv01.sys, sfhlp02.sys, and sfsync02.sys (the actual numbers on the files may be different for you) and delelte them.

Clean your registry. While this isn't a very difficult step, it does involve tinkering with your Windows registry-so be careful here, as damaging your registry could cause serious system problems. Now that you've been properly
warned, type \"regedit\" into the Run dialog box from your start menu. Once the Registry Editor opens, select the Find option from the Edit menu. Now search your registry for all instances of \"sfdrv\" \"sfhlp\" and \"sfsync\" deleting the offending registry keys as they turn up. Once that's done, close the Registry Editor and reboot your PC-which should now be StarForce free.\"
  • Reboot PC
  • Copy UIDATA and GAMEDATA back to GTL folder -Important step for language retention.
  • Install Lobby Fix (download link) and Money Cheat (download link) from RD
  • Enjoy
You do not need to use the 'GTL 2008' crack and since GTL_light is a legit copy of the game distibuted as a magazine freebie i see no legal problems with posting this method, you can't run the game with this method without owning a copy in the first place.

I hope that everyone is able to follow these instructions and can enjoy GTL regardless of their version of Windows. As ever I am happy to answer queries, PM is the best bet as I may not check the thread that often.

Finally, thank you to all of the people who offered help and advise way back when this thread first popped up.

Cheers,
Tom

Disclaimer
This method worked for me, but it's no guarantee it will for everyone. It is dependant on your Drive patitioning and where you install the game (C:\Program Files is your best bet). The method also doesn't guarantee that once installed the game will run well, performance from PC to PC will differ. This method, particularly the starforce removal requires some tampering with the PC registry and system files and I will not be help responsible for issues of a 'PEBKAC' nature.

Install GTL_Light, download it here
Copy all files to your GTL folder, replacing all conflicts and then run 'decompress.bat'

Tom, something must be missing here?? The GTL_Light file does not contain any 'decompress.bat'. :confused:

I used the "other" 'GTL 2008' file and it worked. However, I am having a problem with the engine sounds in some cars eg. default Mustang, Jag MkII. The engine sound keeps cutting out briefly when hitting higher revs. Very frustrating, since so many people seem to have this working ok. :frown:

Tom, something must be missing here?? The GTL_Light file does not contain any 'decompress.bat'. :confused:

I used the "other" 'GTL 2008' file and it worked. However, I am having a problem with the engine sounds in some cars eg. default Mustang, Jag MkII. The engine sound keeps cutting out briefly when hitting higher revs. Very frustrating, since so many people seem to have this working ok. :frown:

I have that too. There's a little lag, like the game is switching sound files, but sloppily. Gotten used to it by now.

win7

All, Tom didn't suddenly post this up yesterday - Bram wanted to make the overall process easier to find than within the big thread that's been there for ages.

If there are some steps missing, that's not down to Tom but some editing mistakes/omissions.

I will move posts from this thread to that one, where the discussion can continue without clogging up this thread and defeating the purpose of it.

Once anything definitive gets agreed upon by people who have tried it out, we can edit the main process above.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back