GTL with Windows 7

Guess what?

After months and months of fine tuning their brand spanking new OS to make it uber compatible with every known application on earth, Microsoft have gone and ballsed it all up again.

GTL will not install in windows 7, at all.

Setup runs fine, then when i go to reboot, 7 fails to load and it goes into auto repair mode which does a system restore to undo the installation.

I have read up and it seems this is an issue with starforce drivers not being compatible, i've tried removing them and updating them but it jsut says that there are no drivers installed.

Is anyone else running GTL on 7, or do they know of a solution to this issue? Just under a week until RDHGP kicks off, either starforce or MS better get writing some patches!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Tom

• axle427

I hate to be "that guy" who barges in on your forum straight from a google search, using all your great research, experimentation, and knowledge, and then draining the system by asking more (possibly stupid) questions...but alas, I really want to get GTL working!

I'm following the steps you've outlined in this post...very invaluable post btw, many thanks!...and I've just copied all the GTL_Light files over into my GTL folder. However, what in the world are you talking about with a "decompress.bat" file? I have no clue what that is, get practically no google hits on that, have nothing of the sort in my GTL folder or GTL_Light folder or for that matter anywhere on my computer.

I'm assuming there's a very obvious 'something' here that I'm missing; I would be much obliged if someone could please enlighten me as to this 'something'!

Thank you!!

Right - I am once and for all going to put this topic to bed - with my super definative guide to playing GT Legends on Windows 7.

My oringinal posts were a bit hit and miss becasue i was getting a step further with each new attempt but now that everything is confirmed as working I can say for sure this method works.

1 - Install GTL from CD (DO NOT REBOOT)
2 - Install V1.1
3 - Copy UIDATA and GAMEDATA to a safe location - This will overcome the issue with the game being german afterwards (GTL_Light was only available in Switzerland, Austria and Germany I believe)
4 - Install GTL_Light from http://uploaded.to/file/9tkft9 ( copy all files to your GTL folder, replacing all conflicts and then run 'decompress.bat')
5 - See steps below to remove starforce drivers from system

6 - Reboot PC
7 - Copy UIDATA and GAMEDATA back to GTL folder - Important step for language retention.
8 - Install Lobby Fix and Money cheat from RD
9 - Enjoy

You do not need to use the previously mentioned 'GTL 2008' crack and since GTL_light is a legit copy of the game distibuted as a magazine freebie i see no legal problems with posting this method, you can't run the game with this method without owning a copy in the first place.

I hope that everyone is able to follow these instructions and can enjoy GTL regardless of their version of Windows. As ever I am happy to answer queries, PM is the best bet as I may not check the thread that often.

Finally, thank you to all of the people who offered help and advise way back when this thread first popped up.

Cheers,
Tom

**Disclaimer - This method worked for me, but it's no guarantee it will for everyone. It is dependant on your Drive patitioning and where you install the game (C:\Program Files is your best bet). The method also doesn't guarantee that once installed the game will run well, performance from PC to PC will differ. This method, particularly the starforce removal requires some tampering with the PC registry and system files and I will not be help responsible for issues of a 'PEBKAC' nature.**

• axle427

I would also appreciate it if someone could tell me what the "Lobby Fix" and "Money cheat" are for. I just downloaded the lobby fix, but can't find the money cheat anywhere.

ALSO - I don't seem to have ANY offending drivers to get rid of. I searched through my Device Manager's hidden devices under Non-Plug and Play Drivers, and saw nothing that looks suspicious. I also went to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and didn't find any drivers beginning with those letters. I then went and searched my registry for any entries beginning with those prefixes and found nothing.

Does this mean something important?

Thank you so much for any guidance you can provide!!!

Welcome :)

Hm, downloaded it again now, and yup, no decompress.bat in the GTL_light.7z. I guess I used a crack then (I have the original game, but it doesn't work any other way...). Try this: http://petrolmania.co.uk/files/gtl.7z

As far as Starforce drivers go, if your computer doesn't freeze when rebooting, I guess you have nothing to worry about :).

Lobby fix is for multiplayer games, if you want to connect to the lobby, you need it.
Money cheat = 1.000.000 credits -> http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtl-miscellaneous-24/gtl-all-cars-unlock-691/

Welcome :)

Hm, downloaded it again now, and yup, no decompress.bat in the GTL_light.7z. I guess I used a crack then (I have the original game, but it doesn't work any other way...). Try this: http://petrolmania.co.uk/files/gtl.7z

As far as Starforce drivers go, if your computer doesn't freeze when rebooting, I guess you have nothing to worry about :).

Lobby fix is for multiplayer games, if you want to connect to the lobby, you need it.
Money cheat = 1.000.000 credits -> http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtl-miscellaneous-24/gtl-all-cars-unlock-691/

Correct - if the driver files don't show up in a search then you're ok. The file 'Decompress.bat' should be within the GTL_light folder, the idea being you copy all of the GTL Light files to the main "C:\Program files\GTL" folder and then run this batch file. I may be mistaken but this might have been part of the aforementioned GTL_2008 crack which we realised was not required. I remember having some issues with sound unless this batch was executed but it might not be neccesary for all.

If you can lauch the game, crack the money and get into the Multiplayer lobby then you're laughing. If you have any further issues then please contact the IT helpdesk.......err I mean reply to this thread :)

after trying post 102.

i didnt succeed in installing an original GTL which i bought on ebay. (so i think, in xp the code wasnt recognised. sealed version)

1st tried an dual boot, because i didnt succeeded installing in windows7.

But i found out, so i think, windows 7 still sees the partition xp home, which is by the way on another disk and therefore it still sees the starforce ....

So now im gonna remove the xp partition and gonna try it again.

Hopefully this post will be of some use for others, cause i read somewhere windows7 dont do anything with another xp home partition but in this case it does.

@ den , hello ive followed your instructions but when i opened the european patch it was for gt2 not gtl is this right i stopped with my instalation ... with thank in advance
Edit
ok ive got the update from nogrip for gtl, followed everything and the games up and running but i cant get to the online lobby working i managed to register but i alway get a error when trying to connect and now its saying invaled key i applied for a new one (my game came with gtr2 in a box with only a key for gt2 and a starforce key) http://www.computerbild.de/gutscheinaktionen/cbs-gt-legends-seriennummer-4559945.html?action=registe how long do they take to come. every thing else works fine......thanks

No Email not even in spam folder. But good news, i typed in the gtr2 code and it worked, im online dony know why it works but it does. So if you have the package with gtr2 and gtl in the same box the code works on both games , thanks for all your help with getting this game up and running again .... happy days......

Edit
i didnt use the lobby fix, just left it as it was...

If I recall, the packaging isn't real clear on what code is which. (?) Is it Game of the Year Edition?

And yeah, if you register, I know I never got any kind of email, just registered and logged in.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back