GTL Team Events discussion

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
I was thinking along the lines of, if we got enough people involved, randomly pairing up drivers over a longer race, and the combined placings decided a team event, not individual placings.

P1 = 1 point
P2 = 2 points
P3 = 3 points etc.

The team with the lowest aggregate score wins the night, and drawn aggregate scores use the best position within the drawn teams as a tie break.

Example: I got paired with Coucher, you got paired with Warren (all done randomly).

Croucher wins the race, you come in 2nd, Warren 3rd and me 5th. Your team wins because of the lowest aggregate points (5 vs 6). If, however, I came 4th, my team would win because we had a tied aggregate, but my team's best finishing position was better than your team's. (5 v 5 overall, but my team had P1 in the tie breaker)

It's only if the scores are tied that "who individually came where" comes into play.

I was thinking about this because if you are racing as much for someone else as for yourself, people won't quit quite so easily as, in my example, I would be letting Croucher down if I quit out.

This would probably work a bit better on a longer race format (1 or 2 race night) and initially on familiar courses too.

I'm still refining it, but if the interest is there, I'll think about a test run one night.

The problem would be getting enough people signed up early enough to make it feasible with the admin. There are still too many people who don't bother to sign up ahead of the day of the event, which would cause this to not be worth my time and effort, but if enough people come out ahead of time and are willing to commit to it early enough, why not? :D

I wanted to keep the teams random, because that way, people would hopefully still be gentlemen on the track, because if you got too aggressive with someone in this race, you may end up being that person's team mate next time round, or they may have the chance to botch your race with someone else as a partner next time etc.

This way, it's kept nice and varied and hopefully fun. Also, the competition might just keep people interested to the end of an event.

I like the Team idea but i would hope GT Legends then wouldn't turn into Race 07 style.

would you just run it as a Racing Club event and then use Randomizer.org ?

Wouldn't 2 sprint races keep people there to the end of the event because if they crashed in the first race they could stll race in the 2nd race

• Matt Crouch

re: the long list that pretty much sums up my feelings :). I personally wasn't completely ruling out 3 car and 3 track events... see event on 30th April. Having said that we did have a lack of people by the final race for various reasons and only 3 of us finished....

re: the teams, back in my university sailing club days we did races with that points structure so it's well grounded. If there were an odd number of people you would probably have to drop the final place on the large team or they would be stuck with a whole load of extra points.
A simple team skin might be helpful as well to identify who's on which one.

Well, I'd use Excel, but essentially, yeah.

It'd be different teams each time we ran a team event - there'd be no league table or running total - just an on the night winner. I'd obviously notify people that it would be a team night ahead of time, but I'm not sure whether to
a) tell people ahead of time what the teams are, (this could tie in with Crouchers team skin thingy)
b) leave it until the last minute of quali, or
c) even just until after the races with a results table, so it's a blind team event.

What I like about c) is that anyone could be your team partner, promoting courtesy on the track.

Absolutely, there's more than one way these can be run :good:

Perhaps we could try them out in future, see what works best.

Assuming, of course, that we have enough people interested to want to give it a whirl.

Sounds like an interesting idea to me, well worth a go. With the current GTL group, I think it would work well because we all know each other pretty well, but it might also help get new guys settled in faster too.
It may even help to get people signing up earlier too. :skywalker:

OK - I'll give it a go for the end of June.

We'll start out with using the "allocating teams just before the event" style of event.

I'll also choose cars with lots of default skins and/or a skin pack, so teams use the same skin for easy identification :good:

Keep 'em peeled on the Event thread.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 237 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years