GTL Shifter Problem.....

Hey all, it's good to see some familiar names from No Grip over here now. Greetings to JGF, Shovas, Duc Freak and others.

A problem just cropped up for me with assigning my shifter lever positions in GTL. I'm using the Fanatec Clubsport SQ in the h-shifter mode. Reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd all assign properly. 4th, 5th, and 6th wont take. The shifter had been working just fine, then one day this happens. I use P&G mostly these days and the shifter is fine in that game. It's ok in GTR 2 as well.

Any ideas????

Graeme,
Does this problem occur just in GTL? Do you use any other sim platforms?
I opened a "support ticket" with Fanatec and their man requested a video to illustrate the problem for them. I've not done that yet but I'll post when they respond.

I never followed up on the Fanatec support ticket for my problem assigning gear shift positions but I tried a few things suggested at other sites with no success. This shifter problem has persisted through three separate installs of GTL as well as a flash of the latest firmware. Not wanting to give up on the aging sim I switched my SQ shifter to sequential, assigned the shift up and shift down and it works fine....go figure. I recently installed Automobilista and have had no trouble with the H shifter. GTR 2, and P&G likewise work fine in either mode.
I guess I'll quit fretting about it but if anyone figures it out I'd like to hear your solution.

Last edited:
You can use a program like Xpadder to map your shifter to the keyboard inputs 1-6 and R.

MajorGeeks still have the last freeware version (5.3) of Xpadder on their site and there are a lot of videos on Youtube showing you how to create a Controller Layout and how to map the inputs.

GoodLuck

Graeme,
The shifter problem persists and now it seems to have migrated to the sequential shifter as well. Paddles still work but you're right, it's just not the same. Actually I've given up on GTL because of this problem. P&G and Automobilista are all I use now.

I guess this has not been solved by anyone? I have just come back to sim racing and have got a G29 but as with others I cant get 5th and 6th on the G29 shifter to work. I have tried using Joy2Key (similar to Xpadder) but it does not work either I have a feeling its because the shifter is still working through the main controller. I have seen on ebay some cable adaptors that would allow you to plug the shifter directly to the PC as a separate USB device, I am wondering if this would fix the problem, anyone any ideas?

I'm brand new to pc sim racing and have just discovered these older SimBin racing titles. I can confirm the same problem with Fanatec CSL w/ H-pattern and GT Legends. Sorry no solution here, but wanted to bump the thread in case someone can test as a separate device before spending on a cable adapter.

Well I have ordered the adaptor so I should know in the next few days, will post back here...…….

I really want to get GT Legends working properly, I just love the cars and although its a bit dated now graphics wise its still great as a drivers game. Although I also played a lot of GTR 2 I preferred GT Legends because of the tracks and cars available, I do miss racing GT Legends online but need to get these controller issues sorted out before I try that again.

Well it works! Mostly...……….. It is fine as far as I am concerned, I have all the gears and reverse and it changes fine, the only problem is that is does not have a neutral, but I have assigned a button on the wheel for that so I am not bothered. I have a feeling that if I set it up in Joy2Key or Xpadder then I may be able to have it return to neutral when the gear key ceases to be pressed, i.e when you take it out of a gear but to be honest I cant really se a problem as it is at the moment, after all most of the time you are just going from one gear to another, when do you really need neutral and if I do I just press a button on the wheel. So rambling aside, this is a success for me.

Oddly, with my new pc, I can't get the direct shifter to work. I have a modded GTL folder and vanilla steam install. Ticking the direct shifter in either install does not work for me.

*edit....I realized I said it worked, when it does not.

Last edited:
sorry for the necro, but i am on a legacy buzz and jsut installed this, same deal R/1/2/3/ ok, refuses to map 4/5/6. as all the other sims i own (18 of them) do work im going to say this was code break in GTL itself , anyone know of a patch?

It's not a code break. All gears work fine for me.
so if literally every other sim works and this one doesnt.. then.. all the other sims got lucky i guess.
1696922963326.png

1696922980986.png

1696922995164.png

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline