GTL Mods (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
History taken form the good old wikipedia

The Lotus Seven was launched in 1957, after the Lotus Eleven was in limited production. The Seven name was left over from a model that was abandoned by Lotus, which would have been a Riley-engined single-seater that Lotus intended to enter into the Formula Two in 1952 or 1953. However, the car was completed around Chapman's chassis as a sports car by its backers and christened the Clairmonte Special.
Based on Chapman's first series-produced Lotus Mark VI, the Seven was powered by a 40 bhp (30 kW; 41 PS) Ford Side-valve 1,172 cc inline-four engine. It was mainly for lower budget club racing on short tracks (750 motor club).
The Lotus Seven Series 2 (S2) followed in 1960, and the Series 3 (S3) in 1968. In 1970, Lotus radically changed the shape of the car to create the slightly more conventional sized Series 4 (S4), with a squarer fibreglass shell replacing most of the aluminium bodywork. It also offered some "luxuries" as standard, such as an internal heater matrix. What is believed to be the oldest of these Series 4s survives to this day, and can be seen most weekends around Sussex and Kent. The S4 brings a familiar face to Lotus events up and down the country; this was the second Series 4 ever built. It has proved critics of the S4 wrong; its looks have aged better than many predicted, and its performance and reliability are unsurpassed by any of the original Sevens.

Top speed
A Seven's top speed greatly depends upon the body configuration, engine power and gearing. Early models with low-powered engines had difficulty exceeding 90 mph (140 km/h), although a race-prepared Seven was clocked at 127 mph (204 km/h) by Brausch Niemann through a speed-trap at the 1962 Natal Grand Prix.[13] In addition, clamshell style wings tend to create drag and generate lift at higher speeds. Cycle guards help alleviate this tendency, and low height Brookland aeroscreens that replace the windscreen help improve top end speed. Sevens do suffer from front end lift at high speed, ther nose creates more lift than downforce at speeds over around 70 mph (110 km/h), although retro fitted 'winglets' may counter this lift.

Engines
After the English Ford flathead (L head or side valve) with 49 hp (37 kW), a BMC series A was used, then push rod overhead valve (OHV) Fords of 1,340 cc and 1,500 cc with the intake and exhaust on the same side of the head. These were often Cosworth modified; the Cosworth 1,340 cc "Super Seven" delivered 85 bhp (63 kW; 86 PS) and the 1,500 cc "Super Seven 1500" 105 bhp (78 kW; 106 PS) . These were later replaced by the Ford Kent engine, better known as the Ford crossflow, in 1,600 cc and 1,700 cc models designated SuperSprints; in their 1,700 cc guise, a crossflow delivers up to 135 bhp (101 kW; 137 PS) . The acceleration finally caught up to the handling when the Cosworth/Ford Twin Cam 1,600, as in the Lotus Elan, was used. There was also a model, sold in the US with a Coventry Climax engine and independent rear suspension.

These cars were not the fastest in the world but who needs speed when your in a lotus and there great for club racing
with the engines from the other Elite and Elan im sure you will find your engine of choice. :)

Will the tyres need adjusting for the bigger engines:)

Hi,
The 7 engine is based on a 1098cc of the late 50s early 60s I was thinking of something in the range
of 100 to 120hp and also the Lotus Ford Cortina unit. I'm going to use the 1098 as the default and leave
it up to the user to choose.
I'm also a fan of lower powered cars on smaller tracks and also always use the cockpit view, I like
the cockpit to look nice!
I'm going to hang back on the template until the next release because there will be a few more
things to add to it.:)

Nig, Thanks for the mod it's little gem, i agree with Rupe it's not always top speed that's needed there's plenty tracks to put it to the test.
Now your here you have to come racing with us were a friendly bunch (well mostly :roflmao:) with a good club spirit.

So what's in the pipeline for the next project no pressure then :whistling:

Hi,
The 7 engine is based on a 1098cc of the late 50s early 60s I was thinking of something in the range
of 100 to 120hp and also the Lotus Ford Cortina unit. I'm going to use the 1098 as the default and leave
it up to the user to choose.
I'm also a fan of lower powered cars on smaller tracks and also always use the cockpit view, I like
the cockpit to look nice!
I'm going to hang back on the template until the next release because there will be a few more
things to add to it.:)

Nig I lightly tweaked your 1098 Sprite engine for our use so we could race them against the other slower cars, Mk2 Jag etc. (we had a discussion about it when I asked you for permission). It's part of our downloads here, so if you want to give it a go all the files are there.

It essentially just took out the initial torque "hump and dump", smoothed the curve a little so peak torque was at 6500rpm (but the same amount as originally - 80.5 ft/lb or 109Nm) but the Rev multiplier meant that the max bhp rose slightly to 104.4 from 90.6.

As you can see - very little change, not really faster as such, but they drive very nice. Comparison charts below. All yours if you want, the least we can do to help as you've done quite a bit we use regularly.

sprites.JPG

for me it is not the lack of power that makes this car dull, it is various other things.

a) it is virtually impossible to get the wheels to lock under braking, which is the opposite of what a lightweight car normally is.
b) the handling never seems to change even with worn tyres
c) very little reaction to dropping the throttle mid corner in a low gear, almost as if the diff is too tame

basically the car is too tame to make it any fun

I'd just like to say I'm not a physics guy apart from the odd tweak here and there, they were done by Aris a long time ago
to represent the series 1 from the late 50s early 60's.
I think you're either going to like it or loath it, personally I like it and find it quite fun, then again I am a rubbish driver!!:(

Just for a comparison I tried out the P&G Lotus 7 last night. It's the same as the GTL mod in terms of thrills per second :sleep:
Probably why Simracing.org.uk dropped it from their P&G season. I just cannot enjoy driving a car if all you have to do to get around the majority of a circuit is to keep your foot hard on the gas and steer.

Fully understand were your coming from Tony, I agree foot to the floor is not fun.
There a a good few real tight and twisty tracks for gtl that are out there so ill have a good look and find the ones where this car will be a challenge... I hope :)
and i also have to think about all our drivers when choosing tracks and cars
i try to cater for all..
As you will have seen not every body is at the same level of speed and sharpness in the driving skills,
we all struggle at times.
some drive the sim every day and still find it tough
some can only get the odd hour here and there
some are just aliens..
it could also be a great learning car for new commers..
driving school..:)

Heres hoping we hit the perfect match for all at some point:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 75 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%