GTL "Look to apex"

I did a search but could not come up with much. Please excuse if this has been covered.
Can someone suggest a general setting for the title subject, and also steering degrees.
Thank you.

Look to Apex IMO is a very personal setting, and dependant on your screen.
I use a multi monitor setup for racing, so I have it at 0% as I can physically turn my head to look at the apex.
Also when using TrackIR or a similar device it should be at 0% as these make that setting redundant.
When I was racing on a single widescreen monitor like most folks do I had it at 10%, not higher, as a higher setting confused my brain on corner entry sometimes making me miss the apex.

Steering lock is personal too, depending on your wheel, your driving style and the car you're driving.
I have a logitech G25 with full 900° rotation enabled. When racing I use about 400° of that, with around 20°..22° of steering lock for most cars.
I know some people use 30+° lock with 900° rotation, but that makes me turn the cars front wheels way too much, thus sliding over the front tyres similar to understeer, thus overheating and wearing front tyres pretty quickly.

However, if for example your wheel has only 270° rotation, that would equal to 13,5° steering lock in-game using my settings, which may be a little low on tracks with very sharp corners or narrow pitlanes.
If you're using a gamepad, I have no idea, sorry.

Hope this helps..

Many thanks. Excellent explanation, which gives me a full understanding of what I need to do regarding "Look to Apex" I am still just learning sims.

I had my Fanatec Elite on 360 Sensitivity on the wheel and 19.5% steering, and default in the sim for other settings, and it felt pretty good.
On the Fanatec Properties Page for the Elite , I was told to keep it on 900 degees steering for all sims and adjust the wheel Sensitivity.
Is that correct...the 900? One more thing, Speed Sensitivity please? Using single 42inch TV. Thanks again.

I don't own a Fanatec wheel so I'm not really sure if I understand "adjust the wheel Sensitivity." correctly.
The 900° rotation is indeed the same as I use with my G25 in all games, so I'd stick with that and adjust steering lock accordingly in-game.
In the GTL in-game settings there's two other settings: One is "Steering sensitivity", and the other is "Speed Sensitive Steering" Not sure which one you mean so I'll try to explain both. I'm not at my gaming rig ATM so I must do this from memory. This may get a bit technical and I'm no native speaker, but just try to bear with me.

Steering Sensitivity controls how linear the steering of the car will be. If the steering is perfectly linear, when you turn the wheel 10% of its maximum rotation, the cars front wheels will turn exactly 10% of their max. angle; when you turn the wheel 50% of its maximum rotation, the cars front wheels will turn exactly 50% of their max. angle. So if you turn the wheel 225° in one direction, the cars front wheels will turn exactly 5° in that direction if you have 20° steering lock (you have 900° rotation, 450° to left and 450° to right, so 50% equals 225° in one direction, Steering Lock 20° is lock-to-lock, so max. 10° left and 10° right. 50% of that is 5° turn of the front wheels)

In GTL, IIRC a Steering Sensitivity setting of 50% makes it perfectly linear. With that setting, 900° rotation with 20° steering lock will feel exactly the same as 450° rotation with 10° steering lock.

When you use a higher setting than 50%, the steering becomes non-linear and more sensitive around the center. So you only have to turn your wheel, say, 150° to get the cars wheels to turn that same 5°. So when you start turning your wheel from the center all the way to the left, the first half rotation from 0° to 180° will have more effect on the cars front wheels than the last half rotation from 270° to 450°

When you use a Steering Sensitivity setting below 50% the opposite will happen, small wheel movements around the center position will have less effect than small wheel movements all the way to the left or right.

You guessed it, I have Steering Sensitivity at 50%. Always.

Speed Sensitive Steering is a bit different, it controls how much your cars front wheels will turn depending on your speed. When you're driving 10 mph and you suddenly turn your wheel 90° to the left, the car will start making a nice clean sharp turn. If you do the same when driving 120 mph, you will most likely crash and wreck your car. Speed Sensitive Steering is there to prevent that. When enabled, it will not allow your cars front wheels to turn very far, depending on your speed. The higher your speed, the further you will have to turn your steering wheel to make it through a certain corner. Or, the higher your speed, the less your cars front wheels will turn when you turn your steering wheel 90° to the left or right.

As this is not a feature I've seen on a real car I have this swithched off, which I think is setting it at 0%.

Hope I still make sense to you.
And to anyone reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, Roland has explained it well.
My settings are similar to Roland's, I use Steering Rotation of 520 deg and usually about 22 to 23 in the car setup for Steering Lock. I might vary it a bit depending on the car.
I use Look to Apex of 10 deg since I have a single monitor.

Regarding the Fanatec settings, yes you should set the main rotation of the wheel (in the driver/calibration screen) to 900deg, this allows the wheel it's full movement available. However, you then use the wheel's Sensitivity setting to set the desired Rotation for the Sim you are driving. So, this is where I would set my 520 deg for example. If you were driving a F1 Sim though, you may want to set it much lower eg. 300 deg.

Hope that helps a bit more and doesn't add confusion. :)

WOW! Thank you so much Roland. I am very good with math and things related so I understood it and this will be filed, for further reference. Rarely do you see someone take such time and thought into an answer. Very much appreciated.:)

And thank you also Warren. You have always been a big help, and am glad you chimed in regarding the Fanatec. That was always an issue I never understood. You guys are truly a asset to the forums.

I know that Warren is humble, so I will tell you...... this man spent about 3-4 days helping me set up RSRBR, with a weird technical issue a while back. He even went as far as getting on Skype with me, to help someone he had never heard from before. Beyond nice.

Hi Roger, nice to see another new face :) I know Roland & Warren have done a great job, but just thought I'd add my 2p ;)

If you're using a low Wheel Rotation of 270 deg (like I do), you'll need to use a much lower steering lock. There's a good explanation here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...el-settings-for-gtl.45299/page-5#post-1430173 (lok at post #88)
With the Sciroccos for example, a 270 deg wheel rotation would need a 6 deg steering lock

Speed Sensitive Steering is a bit different, it controls how much your cars front wheels will turn depending on your speed. When you're driving 10 mph and you suddenly turn your wheel 90° to the left, the car will start making a nice clean sharp turn. If you do the same when driving 120 mph, you will most likely crash and wreck your car. Speed Sensitive Steering is there to prevent that. When enabled, it will not allow your cars front wheels to turn very far, depending on your speed. The higher your speed, the further you will have to turn your steering wheel to make it through a certain corner. Or, the higher your speed, the less your cars front wheels will turn when you turn your steering wheel 90° to the left or right.

As this is not a feature I've seen on a real car I have this swithched off, which I think is setting it at 0%.

Excellent post. Just wanted to add my random knowledge that a steering like that is a feature you can order for some cars. For BMW for example you can get it from the 3 series upwards.
Cheers!

Hi Roger, nice to see another new face :) I know Roland & Warren have done a great job, but just thought I'd add my 2p ;)

If you're using a low Wheel Rotation of 270 deg (like I do), you'll need to use a much lower steering lock. There's a good explanation here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...el-settings-for-gtl.45299/page-5#post-1430173 (lok at post #88)
With the Sciroccos for example, a 270 deg wheel rotation would need a 6 deg steering lock
Thank you for your contribution on the subject. Quite a bit to digest, but am taking notes and think I have the principle. Have to test it out.

Thank you for your contribution.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years