[GTL] GTC-65 @ Monza GP 5th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren Dawes

Premium
Kari Nyman wants to throw down the challenge to see who can keep up with him in GTL, using some powerful beasts.
So lets bring on some GT Legends action for this weekend.

Date: Saturday 5th April 2008

Track: Monza GP (default)

Laps: 30 laps

Cars: GTC-65 Class (except GT-40)
Note: Default skins only.

Server: RaceDepartment

Password: homesweethome

Schedule (GMT time)
20.00 Practice
20.30 Qualifying
21.00 Race

Server settings
Dry weather
In-Game start time 5PM

Signups

1 Eck Simpson - E-Type Jag
2 Heppu - TVR Griffith 400
3 Roy Stevens
4 Esa Kuusisto
5 Theo de Bruin - Mercedes Benz
6 Smak DeWahl - Mercedes Benz
7 Warren Dawes - Lotus Elan
8 Nick Carnell
9 ian beech
10 Chris Vick
11 Yoeri Gijsen
12 Jesper Falkenström
13 Frank Steinbach - Lotus Elan or Austin Healey
14 Mark A Warmington

Reserved drivers

Are the times above, before or after adjustment?... you know this is more confusing than it needs to be...

My computer adjusted itself to bst (british summer time), but it still tells me I'm in the GMT timezone... minus one hour to CET...

Yoeri tells me, that CET is 2 hours different to the UK atm. Which makes things even worse. Race time at 23:00, and we'll be racing for more than an hour...
Its only a game gents.... lol.

Two hours different to GMT that is... it's only one hour different to BST... :D

But for CET race starts at 23:00 hours yes. But hey, it's saturday and I am not going anywhere! And this way Warren get's to race at a decent time for once!

Tough to drive these cars. Since I first drove in the game Thursday night I was thrilled to qualify 7th. However, I spun on the first lap back to last. I then worked slowly up past 3 or 4 people, but spun again several times. Twice I got caught nose to a wall on the inside of a curve. Sorry all for blocking the track like that! At about lap 18 I pitted, but it did not give me any fuel. Then it said that I sped in the pitlane, and I had a stop and go. After the stop and go, I hit a wall and went in for repairs, and still no fuel. On about lap 20 I ran out of fuel in the pitlane, and could not find a way to get going again, so the game kicked me out. I could live with my bad driving, but not being able to get fuel in the pits seems wrong somehow. Am I missing a secret command here?

Oh well, I had some clean passes, and a bit of a battle with a benz (I kept passing him and then spinning to let him by again:rolleyes: ). Hopefully I will be able to learn how to get gas in a pitstop so I can finish next time.

Thanks Warren for setting this up! I hope everyone had a good time.

Chris

Whooohoo
Great race!

I'm glad I was able to get the grips on that Shelby Daytona just in time for the race. Man what a beast to handle!
Had some great fight with Kari, Erik and Jesper early, but Kari was definitely more consistent than the rest, and he figured that he could save fuel and stay out, while Erik, Jesper and me took a stop for fresh rubber and a quick splash. KAri got away about 85 seconds in the end. Warren too had worked up the field with no pitstop and grabbed the 3rd spot behind Kari and me. Too bad Jasper and Erik were in bad luck.

Gratz to Kari for dominating the show utterly. :alla:

Thanks for a great race, all of you guys. I hope we can meet up in GTL soon again. Gosh, I just love that game!

:drunk:

Two hours different to GMT that is... it's only one hour different to BST... :D

But for CET race starts at 23:00 hours yes. But hey, it's saturday and I am not going anywhere! And this way Warren get's to race at a decent time for once!

Yes, so my first post on this, is correct. Lets just show realtime. Not some imaginary time, that cannot be found on any clock, anywhere....

PLEASE... Anyone???...

The race was great but, as usual... I found a way to mess it all up.

Grats to Kari, Yoeri and Warren, the well deserved podium finishers. Grats to all other finishers... I shoulda went for a stop free race..... lol.

Like me Murphys... I'm not bitter.... lol.

Wow, I had a ball. Great idea for the event Kari but none of us could match you lol. It was so interesting and funny watching the guys in the over-powered beasts trying to come to grips with them. Most were improving rapidly though with more practice, especially Yoeri, who I kept watching slidding the Daytona off many times at the first chicane during Qualy :circuitzolder:
I chose the little Lotus Elan so that I could run a strategy of safe clean driving and hopefully no pitstop, which I made easily, could have done another 3 laps I think.
Qualy in P5 with a PB (1.12.x), happy with that in the Lotus.
Bit slow off the line, but I had to be steady to maintain my strategy. First few laps were great with my usual battle with Eck in his E Type Jag. We always end up battling each other in GTL, no matter what cars we pick. After watching a few people fish tail around the bends, and sometimes off track lol, I settled into about P5 and managed to keep it mostly on the black stuff while short shifting to conserve fuel. It payed off towards the end as a couple of cars in front pitted, so I eventually sneaked home in P3, but only narrowly avoiding being lapped by Kari who dominated this race.

Well done Kari, the GTL master, and also to Yoeri for 2nd.

Thanks to all who turned up, sorry about the confusion about the start times for some.
We need to educate a few people about the meaning of GMT (which never changes with daylight saving time).
If everyone would prefer that we start the GTL events an hour earlier, I am happy to do that.

...but not being able to get fuel in the pits seems wrong somehow. Am I missing a secret command here?

When you pit you are presented with your pit selection card... By default the arrow keys are used to move up and down and right/left to increase/decrease your selection. You have to increase the fuel amount to be added to the value that you wish. If you do not increase it the game will add zero fuel to the car.

This is different to the way GTR2 does it.

Yes, so my first post on this, is correct. Lets just show realtime. Not some imaginary time, that cannot be found on any clock, anywhere....

PLEASE... Anyone???...

Ok!, a lesson in world timezones.
What would you like to see as "realtime" because it will vary all over the world including adjustments for Daylight saving.
GMT is not imaginery, it is the world wide reference standard, against which, all other world times are referenced. The good thing about GMT is that it never varies so it is the only acceptable way to state a time for other timezones to be calculated. It was established by you Brits as well. :D

Now, to calculate any local time against GMT, you can go to many websites to see how your local time is adjusted. The one I use is this one, and it has never failed me yet.
Time Zone Converter

All RaceDepartment races will be set using GMT to avoid any confusion and especially to avoid situations where we might estimate your local time incorrectly. You have to take responsibility for calculating your own local time.
Please remember that we have racers from all over the world and we can't quote times in every local area.

I hope this helps explain things a bit better.

My race was great fun... I tried the Ferrari, the E-Type, the Daytona and the AC Cobra. I decided that the Elan was the most friendly car and the one I had the most chance of finishing with.

I was suprised to be able to do a low 15 lap with half a tank and went about having a nice drive around the Monza circuit. Finished 8th, had some great close racing, went off a few times and all in all had great fun.

To clarify something, incase it was misinterpreted... The joke I made in the chat about BST and DST being Bl**dy stupid time and Definitely stupid time - was a tongue in cheek at the whole daylight saving concept. It was nothing to do with RD or the time of the race. Just the fact that daylight saving causes so many people grief when trying to figure out what time people are talking about. At work we try to guess how many people are going to come in on the wrong shift.

:circuitzolder::circuitzolder::circuitzolder:

PS - I keep a digit clock in my room permanently set to GMT. I need it as all my online flights on VATSIM.net are referenced in GMT.

I could live with my bad driving, but not being able to get fuel in the pits seems wrong somehow. Am I missing a secret command here?

I believe there are some tips which help pitstops in GTL. I learned the hard way in the GTL League that pitstops can be very dicey if you have your game set to automatic pitstop control (which is the default setting I think). You have to make some changes to your .plr file to turn it off and give you manual control of pitstops.

I will do a search and post some tips on how to handle pitstops. Maybe tomorrow though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 114 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 88 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 82 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 57 6.5%