AC GTE @ Road Atlanta - Sunday 15th January 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@Interslice That Porsche over the curbs looks so much smoother than the corvette. At least the way I was driving it :roflmao:

100119_14.jpg

@dbx71 This is a tough track even for those who have driven it before. My first race or two with this group here I got plenty of blue flags. Sub 1:25min lap times with big grids leads to traffic. And Atlanta is known for their traffic :roflmao: The wednesday races are a great way to get up to "speed" :) Also sorry about my lunge midway through, got caught out by the lack of ABS and was more trying to avoid hitting you vs dive up the inside :redface:

@cerebralvortex Others here know way more about the technical side of AC, but from my drivers perspective, I think heat is the bigger killer of tire wear vs laps. I noticed my biggest drop in tire wear yesterday after I had a spin and had to do a 180 spin to get back straight. Seems to be the case too when you have that one tire that stays hot it ends up wearing more than the others. But then again, I'm not one to push my tires too long in a race. Yesterday was one of the few times I went for a no change strategy and drove trying to preserve them a little. Guess I need to run an hour race there now pushing it on one set and see if I notice a difference :p

@dbx71 that was me in the last chicane Dominic. I left a car length between us for braking but you came to an almost complete stop entering that section and I locked and slid into you. Sorry for the contact. All good, no problem. Keep at it man.
yeah, i went back and watched the replay. no problem, i should have just radioed you to go on ahead and not wait for me as i'm sure i caused the incident. as i say, i was tipping toeing around a bit because my tires were fried. sorry for the lost time!
i'll keep hacking at this!

This is a tough track even for those who have driven it before. My first race or two with this group here I got plenty of blue flags. Sub 1:25min lap times with big grids leads to traffic. And Atlanta is known for their traffic :roflmao: The wednesday races are a great way to get up to "speed" :) Also sorry about my lunge midway through, got caught out by the lack of ABS and was more trying to avoid hitting you vs dive up the inside :redface:
no worries at all. on the contrary, sorry for not just getting over sooner to let you through. i was determined to avoid getting lapped multiple times like in the past, but alas, destiny had other plans :D anyways, it was still fun.

and yes, this is pretty much my first time racing at all these tracks, and with these cars. total noob here, but i'm trying! thanks for your patience everyone.

i'm going to catch every wednesday race that i can until i can get a handle on this.

Aye, that it is. Never going back again though, when it works it's something different completely. But getting there is not an easy road as I've discovered with rFactor 2 this week.
I gave up with rfactor 2. having heard so much about the force feedback and tyre model i have been trying to perfect it for VR to no avail. I also discovered the other side of the game as in it feels unfinished and no one at the sharp end of the game want to change anything any time soon. So, until they allow lock to horizon and nothing less it is really unplayable to me and probably most VR users.

Automobilista 2 has knocked it out of the park with being great straight out of the box. AC was easy enough to get working with CM, rF2 has taken the most effort.

MSFS2020 was also great though performance heavy, and DCS was honestly a bit disappointing performance wise out of the box. Then again, still need to figure out a lot of the openVR stuff.

I have learned a lot over the past few weeks haha!

@cerebralvortex

TYRES....
From my perspective. lap times were pretty much the same with tyres in yellow, and ( an off spoilt the tyres on my 23rd lap out of 44 ). At that point, they were near red, but if I had not seen Brian go for his pit stop, and I had not spun with red tyres. I would have probably done a couple of more laps before it was obvious from my lap times.

So you could say 25 to 26 laps out of 44 on the softs.

Hope that helps.:)

Last edited:
Automobilista 2 has knocked it out of the park with being great straight out of the box. AC was easy enough to get working with CM, rF2 has taken the most effort.

MSFS2020 was also great though performance heavy, and DCS was honestly a bit disappointing performance wise out of the box. Then again, still need to figure out a lot of the openVR stuff.

I have learned a lot over the past few weeks haha!
A total game changer though when used to it. Impossible to go back to screens now. Add a little road vibration to your seat and you are as good as there. can almost smell the exhaust smoke :laugh:

Aye, that it is. Never going back again though, when it works it's something different completely. But getting there is not an easy road as I've discovered with rFactor 2 this week.

It's hot and sweaty, there's a wire attached to your head, you can't see your keyboard, screen or wheel, people can sneak up on you and scare you. It's harder to look at and read info on your hud/helicorsa. It's harder to take a drink and you might a sore neck or feel a bit sick if you roll the car into the shadow realm. You might get some fos drops in 'complex scenes'. Apart from that it's great :D ;)

Now you are showing your age Steve :D I used to run my motocross bikes on Castrol R back in the 70's ........there's nothing that evokes motor racing more like the smell of that oil for those of us older enough to remember it!

Just going back to your earlier post on you getting out of your new rig, I had a similar problem so mounted the rig in a wooden frame and bolted on some heavy duty castors, it raised the height just nicely, like the height of a real car seat and also easy to move around when needed. Another side effect is the very slight movement from the vibration of the DD wheelbase strong enough to gives a nice 'motion' feel.

Having pole position and being in the lead with already a seven second gap and then to bin it was pretty frustrating. Was on the different strategy than Laurent so plan was to be couple tenths faster each lap to maybe make up the time you lose at the long stop. Would have been hard as he did constant good laps but unfortunately I could not find out as I touched the inside kerb in T1 and there was no chance to keep the car on track unfortunately.
At least the pace was there so looking forward to the next races.
Cu all then and thx Brian for organizing.

It's hot and sweaty, there's a wire attached to your head, you can't see your keyboard, screen or wheel, people can sneak up on you and scare you. It's harder to look at and read info on your hud/helicorsa. It's harder to take a drink and you might a sore neck or feel a bit sick if you roll the car into the shadow realm. You might get some fos drops in 'complex scenes'. Apart from that it's great :D ;)
Mmmm, let me see. Actually look around my car as if I am in it or watch another 2D world through a letter box. Each to there own i guess

Now you are showing your age Steve :D I used to run my motocross bikes on Castrol R back in the 70's ........there's nothing that evokes motor racing more like the smell of that oil for those of us older enough to remember it!

Just going back to your earlier post on you getting out of your new rig, I had a similar problem so mounted the rig in a wooden frame and bolted on some heavy duty castors, it raised the height just nicely, like the height of a real car seat and also easy to move around when needed. Another side effect is the very slight movement from the vibration of the DD wheelbase strong enough to gives a nice 'motion' feel.
That smell Paul, was nothing like it. Already have castors on my rig but not big enough to elevate it. Going to raise the seat hight with some vertical 4040 by around 150cm. Should make my exit easier. Or lose a few pounds might be better all round lol

Wow, it must be like getting into a 4x4. Looks like my rig with same Sparco recliner but i am around 4cm off the ground. Too heavy to start swopping coasters or lifting into a frame so i think i will stick to making the rig taller. Why the extinguisher, is that in case you catch fire when racing :laugh:

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back