AC GTE / GT2 @ Watkins Glen - Wednesday 2nd September 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
All in all, great fun. Just wish I could be competitive.
Have you watched the videos of driver61 at all? I was in your position a few months ago, but I have improved considerably from some of his advice, especially the tip about vision. I'm still not super quick, but I can sometimes mix it in the middle. It does depend on the combo though, some I'm much more comfortable with straight out the gate

Your definitely quicker now Scott than you were a couple months back. I also took a tip or two from his vids. In particular the throttle one ;)

I was dog slow tonight though. Just not getting the practice in at the moment.

Thanks for organising John and how much you want for that setup??

Sorry for Race 1 Turn 1. Unfortunately replay Race 1 was not saved somehow so I could not rewatch what happened exactly but was late on brakes and inside was tight.
So If my fault sorry again for those involved, this put me to last Position to finish 11th.
Second Race was so much better.
Had constant pace in 1.46 and had a good fight with Scott to finish 6th.
Thanks for organising.

Have you watched the videos of driver61 at all? I was in your position a few months ago, but I have improved considerably from some of his advice, especially the tip about vision. I'm still not super quick, but I can sometimes mix it in the middle. It does depend on the combo though, some I'm much more comfortable with straight out the gate

I have, and a few other things. I just seem to plateau.

I have improved a lot since getting my Clubsport V3s - I am not sure if I might be better adjusting them a bit though. I have the preload set to full on the brake to reduce the travel, but I might let it out a bit so I can trail brake better. I am also in two minds about whether to get the brake performance kit.

The most important thing is consistent equipment -- if you change it too much, you'll never get consistent. I have stock T3PA pedals and T300 RS, never modded them or changed them from stock. People underestimate how much inertia can play a factor :)

Last edited:
And as usual, my VR onboards. @G-Slev, one way I learned a lot over the years is watching other people's onboards, maybe you might find these useful if you're interested :)

Race 1:

Race 2:

You went through the chicane two gears higher than me - I know I was in a corvette, but I think you were carrying a lot more speed through the corners than I was (judging by your gears). I might start recording my races with OBS and watch them back to see where I am going wrong.

Really a rock and hard place for me, I knew the Porsche was not going to wear its softs well, going red was a quick occurrence. Even the mediums when pushing went into the red easily. If I kept an eye on my pace and tyre temps I could control it all. Unfortunately second race I was not allowed that advantage, had to push hard to keep John at bay with the inevitable tyre over temps without the chance to cool them. Then when they went into the yellow and trying to avoid an accident it all got too much for the poor old soft tyre’d Porsche. Tyres worn to the yellow, tyres in the red., surviving three accidents, not a hope in hell of holding it all and John still pressuring me.
Tried to carry on but no hope.:(
Noticed this track eat’s tyres, practiced a bit of GT3 today, same problem.
Congrats to the surviving drivers.:thumbsup:

Fun combo, GT2/E cars are nice to drive. Now that I've tried them all, I can, without guilty conscience, take the Corvette for all upcoming events and listen to that incredible engine :D

Had two action packed races and especially Race 2 was good entertainment. Was leading the race for about half the distance but saw Chris coming closer and closer, plowing through the field with too much of race-time left. Had to defend pretty aggressive which resulted in a slammed door infront of Chris nose and a little touch which made me go off. Thanks for waiting :thumbsup: was good fun having you in the mirror :)

Thanks @Medilloni and congrats to the well deserved win :thumbsup:

Oh and could someone pls upload the replay of Race 1? I still don't know why it's just saving the second race :( Limit of races is set to 5 in CM

Last edited:
Really a rock and hard place for me, I knew the Porsche was not going to wear its softs well, going red was a quick occurrence. Even the mediums when pushing went into the red easily. If I kept an eye on my pace and tyre temps I could control it all. Unfortunately second race I was not allowed that advantage, had to push hard to keep John at bay with the inevitable tyre over temps without the chance to cool them. Then when they went into the yellow and trying to avoid an accident it all got too much for the poor old soft tyre’d Porsche. Tyres worn to the yellow, tyres in the red., surviving three accidents, not a hope in hell of holding it all and John still pressuring me.
Tried to carry on but no hope.:(
Noticed this track eat’s tyres, practiced a bit of GT3 today, same problem.
Congrats to the surviving drivers.:thumbsup:
So sorry Ernie for the attempts to get past you in the 2nd race, my bad both times - the chicane... I'd watched you brake at the white line and my braking point was a car's length later, so thought I could pull it off. Then the downhill lefthander I went for the inside and missed the apex by a foot, otherwise it would have been clean (I hope!). Not the way I like to race - too many mistakes, and hope I didn't spoil yours:(

All in all, couldn't get within my best times by a mile, which I'm used to:laugh: .. though other than the above, really enjoyed it. Had a v quick look at the replay and looked to be some great and fair racing, so I hope you enjoyed it, and HUGE thanks for everyone turning out tonight:thumbsup:

Please don't think this as a negative, but there were a couple of comments on TS and here re not giving places back after an incident, I get why some of you would let it go and credit to you for not making it a biggie of it, but please don't, 'cos it only gets worse.

pm the person involved (politely!) and ask why they didn't follow the rule - if you're happy with the response then fine, if not then pm me, or another mod if you prefer (with vid/replay if you can). This is your place to race for fun (yeah, we're all competitive:p), but the golden rule is to make sure there's respect and trust for each other - we all f*** up, though fairness is absolutely paramount.

No problem John, on the outside it may have looked all calm, but at the pace I was forced to go at I really struggled to hold It all. So I understand how frustrating it must have been with me changing my pace to look after the tyres from lap 2 onwards.:) They were well into the red at times but the circuit was kind to me with the long uphill giving them time to go back to green.:O_o:

The most important thing is consistent equipment -- if you change it too much, you'll never get consistent. I have stock T3PA pedals and T300 RS, never modded them or changed them from stock. People underestimate how much inertia can play a factor :)
There is definitely something to be said for this. I spent quite a while tinkering with my setup a few months back and each time I had to re-learn how to brake.

That being said however, I did accidentally stumble across a change that literally transformed my braking in non-ABS cars. I bypassed the G29 wheelbase. I was mucking around with something else and had not the slightest intention of keeping it that way due to aforementioned reason, but it made such a massive difference that I have now stuck with it. The G29 has some quirks (sloppy ADC, funky brake mapping), none of which seem particularly egregious, but removing all of them has made it so I can now brake confidently in cars like the corvette and skippy.

Oh and could someone pls upload the replay of Race 1? I still don't know why it's just saving the second race :( Limit of races is set to 5 in CM
I don't know if there is a bug in CM, but I have my race limit set to 20 and everything else set to 1 and it autosaves only 20 of *any* type of replay,

Anyhow, here are my replays: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RLmD-j0J_HBGvwAPbhIRbexnvC2tinZA/view?usp=sharing

@G-Slev I looked at your lines in race 2 and noticed that you are regularly leaving a car width or more on entry/exit. Also, you seem to be compromising your exit on a few corners too. Others might have better advice, but personally I found I lost less time sacrificing a little on corner entry by braking a tiny bit earlier and ensuring I could get on the power early during exit. I found that I usually do this if I'm not looking far enough ahead, i.e. If I am focusing on the braking marker, right up to it, then everything feels super rushed trying to spot the apex. I now try (but not always succeed) to keep the apex as the focus as I am approaching the braking point, picking it out in my peripheral instead

I don't know if there is a bug in CM, but I have my race limit set to 20 and everything else set to 1 and it autosaves only 20 of *any* type of replay,

Anyhow, here are my replays: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RLmD-j0J_HBGvwAPbhIRbexnvC2tinZA/view?usp=sharing

@G-Slev I looked at your lines in race 2 and noticed that you are regularly leaving a car width or more on entry/exit. Also, you seem to be compromising your exit on a few corners too. Others might have better advice, but personally I found I lost less time sacrificing a little on corner entry by braking a tiny bit earlier and ensuring I could get on the power early during exit. I found that I usually do this if I'm not looking far enough ahead, i.e. If I am focusing on the braking marker, right up to it, then everything feels super rushed trying to spot the apex. I now try (but not always succeed) to keep the apex as the focus as I am approaching the braking point, picking it out in my peripheral instead

I always try and leave a car width of room when there are other cars nearby, so I am probably just doing that all the time. People have said to me before that I need to use all of the track more - it's perhaps something I need to practice.

Perhaps we need a thread for people to post laps and ask for constructive comment? I know a lot of us rubbish racers would find that really helpful.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back