AC GTE / GT2 @ Watkins Glen - Wednesday 2nd September 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I've thought about switching off the recording, but given it's importance in terms of incidents & so on, I'd have to be convinced that it would have a meaningful impact on the cpu.

The performance difference is likely to be substantial. In reality, CPU usage is not numeric, it's also affected by (for example) its internal cache hit rates on L* caches, and the TLB (which is used to translate virtual memory into physical memory). If one application is running most of the time, the hit rate is likely to be very high. As soon as some other application takes the CPU -- even for a brief period -- it's going to require juggling data in and out of the cache constantly, even if it on the surface only takes a slither of CPU usage.

Edit: I just realised it's unclear if you mean video recording or replay recording. Replay recording has another problem: it's all buffered in memory until the session ends. My advice here is really about OBS, or Steam's circular buffer recording. For those, if you can use NVENC or similar, I'd definitely recommend that.

Last edited:
And as usual, my VR onboards. @G-Slev, one way I learned a lot over the years is watching other people's onboards, maybe you might find these useful if you're interested :)

Race 1:

Race 2:

I've watched both of these and I am even more lost now. I have no idea how you are taking that chicane in 5th, nor do I understand how you manage to get on the throttle when you do - if I try and match your inputs, I just fly off the road.

Are you using some kind of special setup that makes the car turn in better?

The performance difference is likely to be substantial. In reality, CPU usage is not numeric, it's also affected by (for example) its internal cache hit rates on L* caches, and the TLB (which is used to translate virtual memory into physical memory). If one application is running most of the time, the hit rate is likely to be very high. As soon as some other application takes the CPU -- even for a brief period -- it's going to require juggling data in and out of the cache constantly, even if it on the surface only takes a slither of CPU usage.

Edit: I just realised it's unclear if you mean video recording or replay recording. Replay recording has another problem: it's all buffered in memory until the session ends. My advice here is really about OBS, or Steam's circular buffer recording. For those, if you can use NVENC or similar, I'd definitely recommend that.

I just use AC replay recording. I have 16gb DDR4 3200mhz memory, Ryzen 5 3600x (6c/12t), & a 1080ti. I also shut down any desktops apps (browser, etc.,.) and use Process Lasso to manage what threads AC (4) uses and where possible, set rules for other software (steam, thrustmaster...) not to use those threads.

I tend to find that my PC is okay with up to 16-18 cars (depends on the track/car) & I'll get the desired 90fps. The performance tends to fall off quickly with additional cars on the grid.

@G-Slev post your setup up here and I will use it and give it a go.

documents/assetto corsa / Corvette C7.R GTE / Watkins glen / **. Ini

I raced this for practice here so I know the car quite well, I will let you use my setup if you wish. :)

I've watched both of these and I am even more lost now. I have no idea how you are taking that chicane in 5th, nor do I understand how you manage to get on the throttle when you do - if I try and match your inputs, I just fly off the road.

I'd probably advise against trying to exactly replicate someone else's inputs, especially someone as fast as Chris. Usually I look for the general reference points, e.g. entry position, braking point, turning, late/early apex to see where I am wide of the mark and then gradually try and move my braking point closer to where the other person is braking until I start to compromise the turning and apex. At this point I'm near the limit of my inputs so I then try and work on getting smoother to help the weight transfer and at some stage I'll usually find I can brake a little later, but mostly I'll just aim to get as consistent as possible.

Yeah, I love it. I think it gives a really unique challenge to the track and balances it out from being a straight powerfest.

That makes it 2:2 then:D. I absolutely hate it. On two occassions I've had people get the nose of their car on my inside & I've had to abandon my turn in because I'm waiting for them - as a reward I usually ended up @ the back of the field. I've lost count of the number of times people try to make a pass @ that spot and fail miserably - often taking out other cars in the process. I also think that approaching the loop with the car at it's limit also offers it's own unique challenge - maybe a Group C night there will illustrate the point I'm making.;)

In terms of balance, the McLaren's dominated @ Spa on Sunday & I suspect that will be the case this week too.

Last edited:

Nothing special, in fact I only started practising with this car about 1 hour before the race, so no time for setup tweaking really :)

The car likes smooth inputs, that's pretty critical at least.

Last edited:

Chris was in the Ferrari, he changes gear at 7000rpm ( just a guess ), Ernie is in a Porsche he changes gear at 8500rpm
That is why Chris is in 5th.
There is not really much speed difference between a mid fielder (Ernie) and a fast front runner “alien” ( Chris ), maybe
1 or 2 mph average. Very car / circuit dependant.
If you cannot get the car to turn, you are almost certainly going too fast, from the above that may be only 5mph faster than the entry speed of most of the competitive drivers, there were a lot of competent driver there Wednesday night.
The Ferrari is very good, even in standard setup for bumps, the Corvette may not be ( cannot remember ) if your fast bump and fast rebound damper settings are not correct and you are attacking the kerbs aggressively, it will induce massive understeer or oversteer. :)
Cannot sleep, have resorted to Waffle in the attempt to bore myself to sleep.:O_o:

Last edited:
EDIT: Hey Bobby, I usually leave some spare cars, so if you want to hop in one to watch/criticise/take the Mickey, then feel free any time!
Hey, that's an idea man. Since I usually don't race because of the meds and not being able to make the full distance, this will be great. I'll only do it when we have less than full fields, but this would let me come in, like you said, and just catch up. If I'm up to it, I can always drive until I can't or nature says otherwise;) You know me, since I did what you guys are doing now, I don't want any special considerations, but in this case and fields not being full, I think it's fair, but I'm a little biased and a whole lot selfish:roflmao:
Cheers

Hey, that's an idea man. Since I usually don't race because of the meds and not being able to make the full distance, this will be great. I'll only do it when we have less than full fields, but this would let me come in, like you said, and just catch up. If I'm up to it, I can always drive until I can't or nature says otherwise;) You know me, since I did what you guys are doing now, I don't want any special considerations, but in this case and fields not being full, I think it's fair, but I'm a little biased and a whole lot selfish:roflmao:
Cheers
Really hope you do it Bobby, your dulcet tones are missed!:p ...if an event's filling up just shout and we'll add more cars.

If you're up to it, have a gander on Weds, a track you introduced me too, been addicted ever since:D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back