GTC65 All-in - Dijon-Prenois Short / GP - Tues 4th Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer-mix.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: GTC65 (excluding Lotus Elite / Ford GT40)
Track: Dijon-Prenois Short / GP
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min
Race: 16 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins only
Note3: Choose a car from Group 1 for Race 1, choose a car from Group 2 for Race 2

Cars for Race 1:
AC Cobra 289
Austin Healey 3000
Corvette 65
Mercedes 300SL
Renault Alpine
Shelby GT 350

Cars for Race 2:
AC Cobra 427
Ferrari 275
Jaguar E-Type
Lotus Elan
TVR Griffith
Shelby Daytona Coupe

Hi Guys

I am going to try to be there for this one, not turned a wheel in 2 weeks and I'm going cold turkey, been playing Bloodbowl and DoW II to pass the time but it doesn't quite hit the spot the same as charging around a track at high speed with the ladz rather than gettin der butt kikked by dem scummy humies, Red wunz go Fasta so I'll take a 350 and a TVR, hehe.

Sam

Dem red wunz go much fasta!:devil:

When's the server going to be up Mr. T?

What an experience that was!
I feel sorry for the little 4 and 6 cylinder cars on the start line, with all those big V8s drowning them out!.

Race 1.
Somehow managed pole in the "slower" of the Cobras. My first on RD! :-D
For a little while it looked like Warren may have locked out an all Aussie front row, but first Stu and then Gary in their Corvettes had something to say, and split us up.
Got a fairly good start and managed to lead away into the first corner. Pushed fairly hard for the first couple of laps to get a lead, and then the tyres started feeling the pain.. So it was time to watch the gap and try and keep it fairly constant.
Toward the end, Stu had jumped into second and was closing, but he ran outta laps, which gave me my first RD win :desire:

Race 2.
For some unknown reason, I had picked the 427 Cobra.. 300+ kw of fury, wrapped up in a car that weighs a touch over 1000kg... Had done a couple of laps in offline practice, and I was definately not confident of being able to keep this NASA space ship on the island.
Managed to edge out Gary in his Shelby by .1 of a second for pole again, with Stu in 3rd(?) and Warren scrambling his little Elan around for 4th.
Come race time and Stephen was stuck "under" the track, so the race was restarted with a 1 lap "super pole" style quali.
This time I definately wasn't confident of pole as it was taking me a lap or 2 to get my eye in, but I pushed (no sliding though!) and managed pole again, from Gary, Stu, Sam(?) and Warren.

Off the line and I think all the V8's turned their rear tyres to smoke. Gary and I ran side by side, but we were both conservative into T1, and not being able to see where he was, I didnt wanna close the door on him.
Sam took advantage of our caution and slipped into the lead to grab P1, while Gary got past me for P2.
The race got interesting for a bit, with me all over Gary, while Sam got a little break on us... I managed to get an excellent run out of the final turn, and with the help of a draft got alongside Gary for T1 but the Cobra didnt want it and the rears locked a little and speared across the track at Gary. I wasnt able to pull it up in time to miss the gravel, so as I crawled back I watched Gary and Sam disappear in the distance, and Amir come up in his Ferrari.
Had a battle with him for a few laps, until I was able to pull away and start trying to bring the gap down.
Everytime I started to get some big inroads, I'd make a mistake and the gap would blow out to 9-10 seconds again.
By the last 4 laps, the rear tyres were about shot, making accelerating an opposite lock affair...
Sam DNF'd in the final 2 laps, which gave me 2nd, behind Gary and ahead of Avi.

It was interesting to watch the Cobra Vs Shelby down the straight, as the Cobra was faster accelerating, and I was able to catch Gary, but as soon as I pulled out of the draft, the more aerodynamic shape of the Shelby gave it a slight edge towards the end of the straight.

I'm really enjoying this sprint racing, especially with the different cars!

Thanks for tonight Stu. Was awesome fun, as usual!

Interesting couple of races, not a track I particularly like, but a great chance to try out the Cobra (albeit the slower one) for once. I'd never tried it in a race before, and it was like trying to control an overpowered rollerskate on ice.
Race 1: Cobra: Qualified P4 to join the noisy thumpers of Glenn's Cobra and Gary and Stu's Corvette's. Managed a reasonable start and jumped between Gary and Stu, and clearly had a handling advantage over Gary in the tighter sections, but couldn't find a way past as Gary was using every bit of the road (and then some) and I wasn't game to push alongside his drifting Vette. Gary then had the grunt down the long straight so I was locked behind for the twisty bits again. Had a great scrap with Gary and Stu for a few laps until I hit the gas too early exiting a turn and put it into a wall. Now P8, but caught and passed Amir on the last lap to get P7.
Grats to Glenn, great drive to keep his Cobra in one piece and out front.

Race 2: Elan: Chickened out and took a "safer" Elan this time. Got a great start and jumped to P2 for the first race, but Glenn was happy to see the restart after spinning his Cobra. I had connection problems with the restart and flying qualy lap, but thanks to everyone waiting, I managed to get a qualy lap in for P4. Couldn't even hear the little Lotus engine for the start with all of the pounding, roaring beasts around me.
Sluggish start and was nudged off track in turn 1 by Avi into the sand. Back to a hopeless last and in my frustration, then put it into a wall. Almost quit at that stage, but gave the little Elan a damned good thrashing and worked my way through the field to finish P4 right on Avi's tail.
Grats to Gary for the win, and well done to Glenn for bringing the "monster" Cobra home for P2. Of course, Glenn is already nagging for a Cobra COTM now. :drool:

Glenn sums up both races very well,my main attentions all race long were from Warren and then a bit later on Thommo stormed up to me and done a text book style pass,i was often amazed at how Warren could suddenly appear out of nowhere to be planted right on my back bumper at the twisty stuff,as he said,the straight line grunt advantage bailed me out :).
For race two i was a bit more settled in to the fine art of chucking around overpowered vehicles with almost horse and cart suspension technology...A.K.A. GTL,more super close ding dong battle stuff,much enjoy every lap,i reckon Glenn had the pace for the win until his gravel visit about mid point of the race,he got the perfect run on me out the final turn and down the straight and had the line for T1 so i had no fight to offer and braked a little earlier and stayed wide and attempt a switchback,but he seemed to go in a bit hot and maybe snatched at a brake and speared across my bows at an angle not conducive to taking the turn at all :p,the chase down of Sam was fun indeed,many many laps of chipping away gradually until i feel Sam got wore down more than anything else really,but still constant graft to get the pass done,quality stuff big fella :good:.
Thank you the gentlemen racers tonight.
Big Thanks Herr Thommo mitt RD! :good:

Spent most of the evening getting used to some of the more powerful cars, therefore came as no surprise starting both races at the back, mainly racing on my own. But as ever it was an opportunity to try out some of the cars I haven't driven yet. Big thanks to all you guys for the resart in race 2. : good: For some strange reason when I joined the grid I was underneath the track looking up at a 45 degree angle, strange.

Thanks Stu, RD and all who raced this evening.

Was good to be back racing again after the enforced layoff, had a good run in race 1 with Avi and Amir in the 350s, a car I don't drive much but proved to be a hoot, the real fun was in Race 2 with the TVR, a car with far too much power in such a short wheelbase, Gary and Glenn were very gentlemanly in the first few turns, especially in T3/4 and they left a hole just wide enough for the TVR to sneak through between them which I obligingly snuck into and while they were sorting themselves out I managed to eek a wee gap, Gary was soon back into chase mode, slowly taking a few tenths back each lap which meant I was having to press on which, in turn, eventually wore me out and I had to give up, in good grace and very tired, a couple of laps before the end, great fun and thanks for the welcome back.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years