GT5 GT500 | Season 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Pocock

I'M BACK... Again :)
sgt500ws1.jpg

Here you can post all things media related to season 1 of the RD GT5 GT500 World Series

Thanks Costandino.

It was really grueling and I had a tough time with bad weather and tyres. I was trying to make them last for 10 laps. I could only push 5 laps on each stint. Plus having ace driver like Matthijs breathing down your neck isn't easy. The only reason I didn't feel that much pressure was having my hands full with a car and keeping the rear in check.

On the last stint I decided to push for the first 5 laps to make some gap and while it wasn't raining. And of course it started raining and no matter how much I tried Matthijs was quicker and closed the gap to 0.7 seconds. I don't know if his magic left him or I was just lucky to keep it on the road and grab the win.

After Saturdays practice showed I was on great pace I really wanted to do well and I'm very happy that I managed to do a great job.

I knew this would be a tough race. In practice sessions Dubravko set better lap times at Suzuka.
So I was quite nervous about this. I needed to have good racepace to even have a chance.
My hope was that my car would keep better grip then the car of Dub when the tyres are worn.

When we had our qualification laps I was very happy to see I had the fastest lap. All went well that one lap.
But unfortunately at the very end of the qualification Dubravko ripped that time into pieces. His time was half a second faster!

Now I was even more nervous. Plan was now to keep the pressure on Dub so that he wouldn’t be able to set such lap times during the race.

When the race started the first laps I could manage to keep close to Dub. After two laps it was clear that I only had to focus on Dub because Scott quit the race and Rui couldn’t keep the pace we were in.
My racepace was far better than qualification times and I saw that I was quicker in the first sector.
But the fast pace has a dark side. Pushing like this forces you into mistakes. And I made some mistakes that cost valuable seconds.

After a few changes of position I lost about 7 seconds to Dub when we had our first pitstops.
I managed to get a fast pitstop because I knew I didn’t need much extra fuel.

So I was back in the race and not so far from Dub anymore. Trying to keep the head cool and drive and waiting for a mistake by Dub.
When I planned to go into the pits I saw Dub. Standing sideways next to the pit entrance. I could drive past him and gain a position.

Last couple of laps it was raining, but the road wasn’t wet. Decided to go for slicks again. It was a good decision. Race pace still good.
But Dub was very fast too. So he got past again. I made mistakes again.

At the end of the race it was raining again, but this time the road got more slippery every lap. I could get closer to Dub. The last two laps I could get as close a 4 seconds.
In a corner least expected I lost the back of the car and spun. Magic was gone ;) . Tried to make it good. Pushed to the limit. Nothing to lose so a mistake again.
Dub has won the Race leading by 14 seconds.

I had great fun. It was very exciting. Looking forward to next race!

sorry for the late report, but here it is

I wasn't able to do a qualy lap as good as the other guys, they were to fast for me so i had to start from last place, altouhg i had a good start and at turn 1 i was able to pass Scott, during the rest of the lap he followed me closely but on the fast left-hander before the last chicane we touched and went off resulting in a loss of time for both of us, in the next lap Scott dropped out of the race and only 3 of us were left on the race, at that time i had fell behind Dub and Matthijs, which were showing an incredible pace, i them focussed on saving the tyres so i coud make the race with only 2 stops, at lap 10 Dub and Matthijs had oppened a big gap and they pitted so i was able to close it down, although they were on new tyres and i wasn't, so they pulled away pretty fast, a couple of laps after i spun and lost a bit more time, on lap 15 i pitted for fuel and tyres, i had fresh tyres and enough fuel to make it home so i just relaxed and tried to go as consistently as possible, a couple of laps after i pitted it started drizzle but not enough to change the tyres so i kept going, in the second stint i made some mistakes and ended up being lapped, some time after i pitted agian, on lap 31 i think, and i mount soft tyres on the car so i could make up some of the time in the end of the race, after pitting i was being able to lap a bit faster, but i had lost too much time and Dub and Matthijs were unstoppable, near the end of the race started raining and the track started to get wet, fortunately the race ended just before a tyre change was required. Although i was alone most of the race i had a lot of fun deciding what to do with my pit strategy if i should change it or not, it was really fun, lets see if there is a bigger grid in the next race :)

congratulations to Dub and Matthijs for they're pace, and thank you for the race, thank you Stu for organizing this league :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back