GT5 GT5 Online Connection Issues

I think it's widely known that PD's GT5 servers have been below par since day one. This has been particularly evident in recent weeks with complaints about connection problems and severe lag springing up all over the net. Other than raising the maximum number of simultaneous connections (ie, the number of players that can play online worldwide at any one time), PD seem to have done almost nothing to resolve these issues. I find this very odd given that GT5's limited singleplayer features mean that online play is essentially the be all and end all of the entire game, particularly for those that have owned it for more than a couple of months.

Anyway, to the point. There may not be anything we can do to fix their servers, but there are a number of 'solutions' out there to help reduce or eliminate any problems on our end. This thread is for storing those solutions in one easy to find thread so that those experiencing issues with RD events can give them a try.

If you have any information on potentially improving online connectivity and performance, please post it here and I will add it to the main list. Also feel free to ask questions about any of the solutions listed.

The 'Solutions'

1. Race Quality & Voice Chat
2. Wired vs Wireless
3. DMZ Mode
4. DNS Fix
5. MTU Size

Race Quality & Voice Chat

The 'Race Quality' option is available in-game to the person hosting the lobby. For personal lobbies it is set in your lobby options, and for public lobbies it is selected when the lobby is created. It's function is to determine how often data is sent between the players connected to a lobby. If a player cannot keep up with the rate of data transmission then they may experience lag, they may appear to lag to others, they may cause lag for others, and they may get disconnected from the lobby.

To help those on slower connections the host can set the 'Race Quality' to either 'low' or 'very low'. That way the data transmission rate should be easier to keep up with resulting in less lag and less disconnections. Note that lowering this setting will not necessarily affect the visual smoothness of racing for those that have no lag/connection issues. I've run two events this week, one on 'very low' and the other on 'very high', and there were no visual differences in the movement of the cars.

The voice chat feature also has various quality options as well as the ability to disable it entirely. Voice chat requires bandwidth, so you can obviously help those on slower connections by reducing the quality or turning it off. As chatting during a race is not allowed here at RD and because very few people ever use voice chat between races, it is disabled for all RD events.

Wired vs Wireless

This is the obvious one. If your PS3 is close enough to your router to use a cable, do it. A wired connection will generally be faster and more stable, which means reduced risk of lag and disconnections.

If you are definitely out of cable range then try and put your PS3 as close as physically possible to your router (or vice versa), with no obstructions between them. This will ensure that you get the best possible reception though it is still unlikely to be as stable as a wired connection. If your signal strength is continuously low then you may want to look into purchasing a better router.

DMZ Mode

Sometimes connection issues can be resolved by putting your PS3 in DMZ mode. This essentially means that your router will not attempt to block internet traffic to/from your console, preventing data loss and increasing stability. To do this you will need administrator access to your router, and you will need to give your PS3 a static IP address.

1) Start your PS3 and go to 'Network Settings' => 'Settings and Connection Status List'.
2) Make a note of the current 'IP Address', and the 'Default Router' address.
3) Now go to 'Internet Connection Settings', select 'Custom' and enter the required information until you reach the IP Address.
4) Select 'Manual' and enter the information as follows:
  • IP Address: Use the first three parts of the IP address you noted down above, but add 50 to the fourth part. For example, if it was 192.168.0.10 above then change it to 192.168.0.60. Make a note of this new number too.
  • Subnet Mask: Set it to 255.255.255.0.
  • Default Router: Use the 'Default Router' address you noted down in step 2.
  • Primary/Secondary DNS: You can also use the Default Router address here, or you could use Googles public DNS servers as described in the DNS Fix above.
5) Enter the remaining information as normal.

Now you need to log into your router as an administrator in order to change some settings. Exactly how you do this will depend on the make/model of your router. You are looking for an option that allows you to assign a DMZ. Once found you will be asked for an IP address for the DMZ. Use the new IP address you assigned to your PS3 in step 4. (192.168.0.60 in the example.) Save the settings and log out of the router.

Return to your PS3 and perform an 'Internet Connection Test'. If all was done correctly it should succeed and your NAT type will be listed as '2'. Once in GT5, remember to go to Options => Network and click 'Clear System Cache'.

Source

DNS Fix

If you get the message 'cannot connect to server' or are getting disconnected frequently, then it may be a DNS problem. A possible fix for this is to tell your PS3 to use a different DNS server. To try this, do the following:

1) Start your PS3 and go to Network Settings => Internet Connection Settings.
2) Select 'Custom' and enter the required information until you reach the DNS settings.
3) For the Primary DNS, enter 8.8.8.8
4) For the Secondary DNS, enter 8.8.4.4
5) Job done. You PS3 will now use those DNS servers.
6) Once in GT5, go into Options => Network and click 'Clear System Cache'.

Note: The addresses above are Googles public DNS servers. You could try other DNS servers if you like, though Googles have solved the issue for many people.

MTU Size

The MTU is the maximum size of data packet that can be sent by your PC/PS3. It will vary slightly between ISPs, but if your router is using an incorrect MTU it can reduce performance and stability. You can manually find your optimum MTU pinging. In order to do this you will need administrator access to your router.

1) Log into your router as administrator and find the MTU setting. If it isn't already, set it to 1500 and save.
2) Click 'Start' => 'Run' and type 'CMD' to open a command prompt. Type the following, followed by 'Enter':
ping -f -l 1472 www.google.com

3) Keep reducing the MTU by 10 until you do not see the message "packet needs to be fragmented".
4) Now keep increasing the number by 1 until the message returns. When it does, revert to the previous MTU that worked.
5) Add 28 to this number, and you now have you optimal MTU. (eg, if the MTU that worked was 1442, your optimal MTU would be 1470.)
6) Return to your router, enter this number as the MTU and save.

Also make sure to check the MTU setting in your PS3's internet settings. You can choose to set this manually and use the same number as for your router. However, setting it to automatic should make it use this value automatically.

Source

What can you do if you don't have access to the router?

Put simply, not a lot. The router is your PS3's gateway to the internet, so if you can't change it's settings then you can't do much to try and improve your connection. But to be honest, if you're having issues with GT5 then there's a good chance that messing with your router won't help anyway. These fixes work for some but it cannot be denied that GT5's net code is simply very, very poor.

Hi, I have Belkin N1 Vision and in the manual it says I shouldnt change the MTU unless my ISP gives me a specific setting, If I set my MTU to my optimal number then it takes a while to work out NAT Type but does return Type 2 and then it doesnt do the connection speeds and says that my router may not support packet fragmenting or something.

Thanks

If your PS3 or router is attempting to fragment packets then it means that your MTU is not optimal. This is maybe because a few bytes of extra data is being added somewhere which isn't accounted for in the above procedure. One thing you can try is to keep tweaking your MTU in small increments until you no longer get the error message on your PS3.

If all else fails then you can simply reset your MTU to the default. While this 'fix' can work in some circumstances it is not guaranteed and many people won't see any difference at all.

Not sure what you mean by that, Rudra. Your PS3 has nothing to do with your laptop. I can disconnect my PC and laptop from the internet if I want but it wont prevent my PS3 from connecting... because it goes through my router, not my PC/laptop.

Yeah Ross sorry I forgot to mention that I share my internet connection through my laptop; I've got wireless internet (usb type) whose software only works on PCs so the only option for me is to share it to my PS3 using an ethernet cable. Add to it 30 hours / month so you can understand how clumsily I have to use the internet :)

An error has occurred in the lobby server [250]

Hi all, i posted this thread to playstations forum and havent got any response so lets try thru here:

Now I'm getting really frustrated. I have two PS3:s with playseats and GT5.

When I first put everything set and online, all I got was error 222 when trying to go online.
I found out that error 222 was due to my nat3 type and had to open some ports.

Well, all of these are open now:
- TCP-gates: 80, 443, 5223 and 10070-10080
- UDP-gates: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070 and 50100

I couldn't test this out as GT5 was doing maintenance getting ready for 2.0 update.
Today I updated both to 2.0 and now I get error:
An error has occurred in the lobby server [250]

Anyone have any idea what do these error messages mean?

P.S. after solving 222 problem i was and am able to go to seasonal events and play them, also i can upload my driver data to my playstation account. So the problem is only with lobby.

Anyone noticing very slow navigation while online since 2.0 update? Especially Remote Races? I lost connection while receiving credits for a driver and lost over 600K :frown:
Unable to run remote races/connect to server this morning.

Anyone noticing very slow navigation while online since 2.0 update? Especially Remote Races? I lost connection while receiving credits for a driver and lost over 600K :frown:
Unable to run remote races/connect to server this morning.

The Polyphony Digital servers are quite possibly the worst and weakest part of GT5. They have been an issue since day one, and have never been up to the task. The release of Spec 2.0 has seen an explosion in online activity similar to when the game was first released, and the servers have buckled under the pressure (yet again).

GT5 communicates with the servers constantly even when navigating offline menus, which is why it has been so slow this week. I wouldn't be surprised if it also caused the issues we had in the Club last night. And now, as you say, the servers are offline altogether. A year on and PD have still not sorted this issue. Sloppy... very sloppy.

The GT5 servers are back online and, I have to say, they seem very fast at the moment. Game loaded in no time, so fast that I barely saw the loading screen. Of course, that could be because they've just come back and I am one of the first people to log back on... time will tell.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 328 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 287 13.5%