AC GT3 @ Zandvoort - Sunday 31st January 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That was an intense race. As fun as it was, I sure don't want to visit this circuit again for a while! I'm glad I took part. Had some actual racing to do this time around. Wished I was faster, but hey I learned a lot. My only mistakes occured when I lapsed concentration. I also think I need to find a new button for push-to-talk! (a few times I went off because my PTT button was the same as 'look right!')

It looks like my consistency improved. At Silverstone I was 3.2s I think and now about 2.5S?

Also: Kudos to Mark Alan (I believe?) Some intense battling with him for a few laps, and clean racing! What a blast!

Last edited:
Another unlucky race.....

Had a decent qualy with P8 which was ok for me.
A good start brought me to P7.
As I planned 50/50 strategy with softs (tested that before and tyres were no total disaster if you dont overdo in the tyre melting right corners T9 and T10, just couldnt get the mediums to work though.....) Then I was behind Han. I think I could go little bit faster but could not find a way to pass him as he had good pace, was always so close behind him, was hard not to make a mistake following so close. A shitty last corner exit and bad defending on the inside and @Axel Moebius was through on start finish. Could follow close but was too close in one corner which irritated me, hit brakes too hard and took a different line which resulted in a spin. @Kek700 was a victim of that spin, sorry for that!!!!

After spin and losing too much time getting back race was pretty much ruined, had some good fights after that though but lost too much time with that.
@RasmusP , concerning the incident on last lap I am ok with 50/50....

Thanks @Chris Down for organizing and thx for having such a great community here at racedepartment. These races are always a highlight in these difficult times.

cu next race

By the way: what the hell happened at the end of the race? Carmaggeddon!

20210131192741_1.jpg

@Luca Badin
I've read about this years ago but it never really hit me until today:

When you're following someone at 360 kph with a gap of 0.1s, you will travel 100 m/s so the gap is 100 m/s * 0,1s = 10m.
When you brake at the same spot and decelerate to 120 kph, the gap will still be 0,1s but it will only be 33 m/s * 0,1s = 3m.

Depending on how big the cars are, you're going to hit the car in front.

Anyway, when I touched your rear, I was travelling 218 kph. Gap was 0,2s.
When we touched, my speed was 91 kph.
That's 5,05m gap and your Audi R8 GT3 is 4583 mm long.

I added a video to my watch later youtube playlist just a few days ago regarding this. It's in Italian so I won't link it but your explanation is definitely the same, and makes totally sense :)

I added a video to my watch later youtube playlist just a few days ago regarding this. It's in Italian so I won't link it but your explanation is definitely the same, and makes totally sense :)
Nice! It's something I really didn't think about before getting told.
Everyone knows the field gets compressed in slower parts but I just didn't think, that you can actually hit the one in front, when braking in the same spot (with the same braking distance ofc)...

Btw did you get a replay yet or should I upload mine?
Gonna be at the pc in about 3-4 hours :)

Laguna seca would be awesome. Really like the track. Maybe it's the sand/dunes which remind me of some other circuit...:whistling:

Is there a replay file available for the race? I have to watch something back

Last edited:
Nice! It's something I really didn't think about before getting told.
Everyone knows the field gets compressed in slower parts but I just didn't think, that you can actually hit the one in front, when braking in the same spot (with the same braking distance ofc)...

Btw did you get a replay yet or should I upload mine?
Gonna be at the pc in about 3-4 hours :)

No, I didn't get a replay yet. Had the chance to watch few minutes of the live streaming from @Henri Sinik but it was really not much. It would be great to have a look at the whole race, but there's no hurry, I don't think I'll be able to watch it before this evening!

Last edited:
Why didnt you wait for me then?
I didn't feel a bump in the car, so was not sure if you just lost the car or if it was because of contact. Thats why i didn't stop. I looked at the replay afterwards becaus i was i doubt, and wants to learn. I saw we made very little contact at the apex of T12. If that caused your spin, i am sorry.

Not a bad race all things considered :) Qualified pretty far back after botching my last attempt by going on the grass at the last corner (it would have been a -0.5 improvement for P11...).

The race went more or less as planned - survived the start and made up a place on SKILL ALONE :whistling: thanks @RasmusP for botching your start, slotted behind the fast guys's train with a nice padding behind me, then made up two more places on SKILL ALONE :whistling: as Ernie and Thomas came together, only to lose them to Ernie, who I let by to save time as he was so much faster, and then Rasmus after I ran wide at Scheivlak (ultimately my only real error, pretty pleased with that).

The second half of the race was a little more eventful, I rejoined in top 10 right in front of Stefan and the plan was to back him up a bit on Ernie, as he was way faster than me on my used mediums (I think that worked a little too well :unsure:), of course then Ernie didn't take long to overtake me again even though I wanted to make it a bit more difficult this time

I then had a nice fight with @Bertje who was closing in on me, at least the overtake was pretty nice, dodging a rejoining Rasmus at Scheivlak and then half a lap side by side. Then, well, I just wanted to get away from Rasmus but he seemed to like my car a little bit too much :roflmao:

As I said on TS, my setup was way too understeery on exit at low speed corners, it felt like driving a Fiat Multipla at times :ninja: and despite making up 3 places overall, it's a bit frustrating to use conservative strategies and then be way slower than the surrounding drivers - though in any event I don't think softs were feasible today.

Thanks for hosting again @Chris Down and thanks everyone for the race! I may have spoken too soon when seconding Le Mans next week because I'm not sure I can race in February at all though. We'll see!

@Luca Badin
I've read about this years ago but it never really hit me until today:

When you're following someone at 360 kph with a gap of 0.1s, you will travel 100 m/s so the gap is 100 m/s * 0,1s = 10m.
When you brake at the same spot and decelerate to 120 kph, the gap will still be 0,1s but it will only be 33 m/s * 0,1s = 3m.

Depending on how big the cars are, you're going to hit the car in front.

Anyway, when I touched your rear, I was travelling 218 kph. Gap was 0,2s.
When we touched, my speed was 91 kph.
That's 5,05m gap and your Audi R8 GT3 is 4583 mm long.
Realtime rounds a little bit so it was definitely this.

That's why I instantly used the F-word... I instantly knew how stupid I was :p

Sorry for it in any case!!

No worries at all, I noticed I brake earlier than most others in that chicane (I didn't really check proper racing lines / apices for this track beforehand), so it's very likely that that caught you off guard. Also your coming together with Thomas was partially caused by me touching the grass and bunching you up anyway, so maybe I should apologise instead :(

Laguna seca would be awesome. Really like the track. Maybe it's the sand/dunes which remind me of some other circuit...:whistling:

Is there a replay file available for the race? I have to watch something back

I'm working this coming Sunday, so Laguna sounds good to me :laugh:.

Just a suggestion @Chris Down I know a few of the RD club regulars that have recently gone awol are currently practising for a gt3 race @ Mosport (tonight), so it might tempt them back if you run it on Sunday.

The above is just a ruse. I don't want you to run Le-mans on Sunday. Please don't make me beg. I'm too old, & my knees won't take it. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Hey guys. I have a replay beginning on lap 8. A bit sad about that as some of my best racing was at the beginning, but I guess I made the file too small / too long parade lap. I extended the size for next time. Please let me know if there's any trouble downloading. I'm not good at this.

Zandvoort Race

Last edited:
As long as we're chiming in: I vote for a track with some proper straights - something contrary to Zandvoort. Smooth, long, sweeping perhaps :D

Time for germanys best track?

Hey guys. I have a replay beginning on lap 8. A bit sad about that as some of my best racing was at the beginning, but I guess I made the file too small / too long parade lap. I extended the size for next time. It'll be up in about 15 minutes
Sadly the size setting is a bit.. "broken".
I can recommend to simply set the quality to "medium (16 Hz)" to have the full race on it.
But I don't get it.. even if it's only 32bit the replay size should be up to 4GB.

I'd be okay with 20GB replay files when I get accurate pedal traces, tyre information etc. Quality to "ultra" and infinite length please...

Not possible though, lots of people would wish for it but apparently it's somewhere hardcoded in the engine...

Sadly the size setting is a bit.. "broken".
I can recommend to simply set the quality to "medium (16 Hz)" to have the full race on it.
But I don't get it.. even if it's only 32bit the replay size should be up to 4GB.

I'd be okay with 20GB replay files when I get accurate pedal traces, tyre information etc. Quality to "ultra" and infinite length please...

Not possible though, lots of people would wish for it but apparently it's somewhere hardcoded in the engine...
I set medium and 450mb, but upped it to 550mb now. I would do HQ, but I don't have a lot of space on the game drive. Maybe in the future. Can you try the file i'ts ready now?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%