AC GT3 @ Watkins Glen - Sunday 13th June 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

Did 60% damage change your approach to this event?

• Yes, I practiced more.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Yes, I drove more cautiously.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Nah, I never send it.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Nah, I always send it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't enter due to damage increase

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I always wonder what you guys are doing to not be able to run softs with the track temps so darn low lol..
The faster you run, the more heat you get into tires. Softs are barely manageable for the GT-R in these conditions and this is the car that is generally the easiest on tires, but left front overheats and wears down pretty quickly Not a big problem for a quali run, but a 30 minutes stint in the race is another story

Tried the GTR, haven’t driven it for some time. Very forgiving and easy to handle but lacks a bit of sharpness. Softs could maybe work. When pushed only front left is in danger of serious overheating. Then I switched to the 488. It definitely has more character but can bite you. Got 3/4 tyres into deep red while pushing a bit. Softs are definitely a no go here. Today I want to give the Audi I try as I never raced it so far. Anyone has a good sound mod for the Audi?

Hopefully I can make it to the race. Getting vaccinated 2 hours before practice starts.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I have to drop out of this one. My wife has called on a family BBQ which means I am cooking this afternoon. I won't get any track time to practise before the event. Got to make the most of the British sunshine when it comes I supposed. Hope to see you all next week, have a good race.

Really enjoyed that one, thanks @Interslice for organising! And congrats Patrick on the stunning qualifying lap, I really tried to pull everything I had but just couldn't match it. Superb effort. :)

I knew that realistically if I was going to get a move done on the other medium runners I would have to do it on the first lap, so I optimised my setup for that strongly: especially low aero for the drag. Turns out my launch was pretty nice so it wasn't needed, but it definitely helped keep @Aksu off my tail a bit in the slipstream.

Had some serious code browns, but thankfully nothing came out of them. One of them I almost went 360 on the kerb out of turn 6 after dipping a wheel on the grass, that was scary...

I was worried that I'd lost my mojo after having a pretty mediocre practice session, but I'm glad to see that said mojo eventually came back. :)

Congrats to @Aksu and @demetri on the podium! Here are the results for the oldywonks like me who like simresults: https://simresults.net/210613-kA0

Last edited:
Good fun that. First race in a while that i got some proper prep in, even got time to have a click about on the setup which was enjoyable. Watkins is always fun if a little intense with the high speeds!

Had a pretty solid race. Marko R. had a big launch off the start and got between myself and @640er. We both slipped past andreas who seemed to be struggling with the audi early on, full fuel load perhaps? I got past marko about 20 minutes later and had a 3 second lead on him into the pits. All was going a little to well, even got a nice undercut on @hape by not changing tyres. On the out lap my dehydrated and tired brain wasn't running on all cylinders. Forgot to brake for the chicane and lost all the time saved by not changing tyres and also clipped the barriers on the drive through to yellow my front splitter ... 0.1s a lap in drag, not sure? Probably the better outcome than trying to survive the chicane braking at the 200 yd marker...

@hape was back in front. Maybe for the best as i don't think i had a battle in me and he was a bit quicker, moreso with his fresh tyres. He pulled away to a nice P5. and i plodded along saving tyres until about 12 minutes left when i could see @640er on a charge. Luckily i had enough tyres and pace to get over the line less than a second ahead. Another 2 laps it would have gotten interesting!

Congrats to the podium, good to see some old faces back. See yous on the next one :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for racing tonight. Apologies to any folks new to gt3 racing who felt excluded by the damage settings. From my perspective, tonight was just an attempt at making the regular drivers here on sundays have a think about any aggressive or dangerous driving habits they have formed. I've added a poll and it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on how it went.

Thanks to everyone for racing tonight. Apologies to any folks new to gt3 racing who felt excluded by the damage settings. From my perspective, tonight was just an attempt at making the regular drivers here on sundays have a think about any aggressive or dangerous driving habits they have formed. I've added a poll and it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on how it went.
Option "Nope, I never send it regardless" is missing

It was the second serious race I did in the GT-R and the first one here on RD. I knew I had no chance in the quali as those pesky 650s could do one-two fast laps on softs, and the mighty GT-R was no match for them if running on the same compound. I was going slightly ahead of my PB on the last quali lap which would've been enough for P3, but I didn't nail the final corner, lost a few hundredths there and had to settle with a P4 on the grid.

My plan for the race was to run 2xSofts, and I was almost sure that everybody else ahead be would be doing splash and dash mediums strategy, so I needed a good start from my P4 which didn't happen. Jens had a cannonball launch from P5 in his 488 and edged ahead of me, but fortunately he had nowhere to go while I had lots of free space ahead and came out of T1 still in P4 right behind Patrick. I was slightly faster, but he took a very good defensive position going through uphill corners, so I had to lift off and slot in behind him and didn't get a good run on the straight to the bus stop chicane.

A good run happened on the next lap, but I then slightly overshot the entry into the chicane, jumped on the second curb and went way off the racing line which allowed Patrick to regain his P3, but not for long. I saw him missing the apex and having a bad exit from the last turn, so I got into his slipstream and then alongside on the straight and passed him in T1 on lap 3.

Aki and Chris were both 2-3 seconds ahead already, so I had to close that gap very quickly, before my tires would start to really wear down. I was able to pass Aki into the chicane on lap 6, and get to within 1.5 behind Chris, but he was going at a very good pace, so we were running about the same lap times for a while until lap 14 or 15, when the tire wear really kicked in for me and my pace dropped off the cliff. I pitted on lap 18 and Aki made his splash and dash on the same lap, so out of the pits he was 17-18 seconds ahead which with 17 laps to go was too big of gap for me to catch up unless something happened (spoiler alert: it didn't).

Surprisingly for me, Patrick had changed tires during his stop a lap earlier and was a couple of seconds behind me doing pretty fast laps on a new set of mediums. I was able to increase that gap to 3.5 by pushing really hard over the course of the next few laps and even set the fastest lap of the race. Then, inevitably Patrick started to close in and finally caught up with me with 4-5 laps to go, but with his 650 not being able to outrun my GT-R on straights even with the help of slipstream I was relatively safe as long as I didn't make any major mistakes. Going into the last corner of penultimate lap, he was hanging in right by my rear bumper, but ran into a wall and I think he probably didn't have enough gas left for 35th lap anyway as he was running in limp mode after that till the end.

Overall, this podium finish is a good result for me in the GT-R and I don't think I would've been able to do better with the Audi. Congrats to Chris and Aki and thanks to Brian for organizing this event.

60% damage was great
It made everyone very careful.
Not a single driver hit me tonight which was a first.
Somehow I always overtake people at the start- hey it's the only time a get a purple segment during a race- but drivers do not like being overtaken at the start and would squeeze and nudge in a competitive way[dare I say], none of that last night, everyone gave space.

Is there an explanation as to what the different % settings of damage mean in AC?

60% damage was great
It made everyone very careful.
Not a single driver hit me tonight which was a first.
Somehow I always overtake people at the start- hey it's the only time a get a purple segment during a race- but drivers do not like being overtaken at the start and would squeeze and nudge in a competitive way[dare I say], none of that last night, everyone gave space.

Is there an explanation as to what the different % settings of damage mean in AC?
hi John
but i also think there are a few drivers which make races "complicated". I think yesterday there are only drivers i had never a problem with in the last years. So its not only the 60% damage but also the people which are driving. Also the number of drivers (yesterday only 15) and the length of the track. So i would not say that the damage % is the (only) game changer in the manner of driving.
hape

It just scales any damage linearly, nothing complex!
But there's no explanation about how the damage model works...

I seen something where the drag increases and lift decreases on any wing or side skirt that is damaged. As a percentage factor of 100% damaged or something. No idea is it's linear or whatever. Never had cause to look into it before!

The what you hit, how hard and what angle model relative to the damage % setting, i don't know how that works at all. It doesn't seem be the best physics in the game!

Last edited:
I seen something where the drag increases and lift decreases on any wing or side skirt that is damaged. As a percentage factor of 100% damaged or something. No idea is it's linear or whatever. Never had cause to look into it before!

The what you hit, how hard and what angle model relative to the damage % setting, i don't know how that works at all. It doesn't seem be the best physics in the game!
Yep, it seems to be quite basic from my experience. But it's doing the job of slowing you down, making the steering off-angle etc.
I also can't prove that it's linear, but it makes sense since Kunos always seemed very straight forward with things so if they give us 0-100% damage, it's very likely just that.
If they would have some non-linear steps, we would probably have.. steps :roflmao:

It was a bit of mixed race for me. I was tired going in to the race (sleepless nights (hot weather :() & work, so I was happy that I managed to get pole position, albeit by the tiniest of margins - 0.018 seconds :confused: :whistling:.

I had my usual poor start and lost two places before the first turn. I lost another position after a few laps through poor concentration and my lap times leading up to the pit-stop were much slower than I'd planned. The second part of the race had me in clear air so I was able to lap somewhere near my target times. Unfortunately, when I finally caught up with Dmitry I couldn't find a way past. It looked, however, like Dmitry was also struggling in some of the corners, so much so that I had to take avoiding action - ending up in the wall on one of them.

The race certainly didn't got to plan, & I blame Chris for not following the script :mad: - adding an extra lap to the previous race. I had two litres going into the last lap :confused::laugh: & just managed to get over the line.

Congrats to the podium, and thanks to Brian for organising the event.

Last edited:
Poll:
  • Yes, I practiced more.
  • Yes, I drove more cautiously.
  • Nah, I never send it.
  • Nah, I always send it.
  • Didn't enter due to damage increase
I think just asking where folks would like the damage to be set - from 0 to 100% - would be more impartial. The first two options simply supports the proposed damage increase without taking in to account other variables - time constraints & track difficulty...

With regard to the third & fourth options, everyone is obviously going to go with the former.

If someone hasn't entered the race because of the damage settings, they're unlikely to revisit this thread.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 210 14.3%