AC GT3 @ Virginia Raceway 10 March 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Sorry guys, I had to quit early on, it became to painful to try and keep her on the black stuff :(

@Scott Arthur, thanks for changing your name, it is a very strict rule for several reasons :thumbsup:

A few new names tonight, and you all appeared to have done very well on this difficult circuit and gave respect to the blue flag, that is always good to see :thumbsup: ..hope to see you all (and more) again next week :thumbsup:

Congrads to the podiums :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the race everyone, and congrats @demetri.

Just a couple of words of advice on blue flags, since I had two fairly significant incidents when passing under blue flag in this race:
  • Don't slow down in the corners, if the faster car wants to pass there, it's their job to pass you. Slowing down is dangerous. Only lift a bit if you're being passed on the straight.
  • Don't slow down especially in blind areas. One person tried to let me pass in the blind left hander after the esses, needless to say I couldn't brake in time to not hit them.
  • In general, maintain normal racing line, and yield when it's safe to do so only.

Thanks, @Chris Down. I guess I got lucky this time.

Yeah, traffic was a bit problematic. I had a couple of very close calls and a minor touch, and also lost some precious seconds behind slower cars. There're not many places to pass safely on this track and the speed difference between the leaders and backmarkers on those parts where you couldn't go around them was huge. I mean I could see a car more than a second ahead of me at the start of the esses and by the time we reach that blind corner on top I would be already up to their tail. I even decided to pit 4 laps earlier than planned because I had a bit of traffic ahead and didn't want to lose more time going through them and allow Chris to catch up.

This is a very challenging track but it's so rewarding when you finally have set your car right and found your groove.

My apologies to Aki @Aksu for the first corner contact, I'm not sure what happened... there was contact with other cars on my left (I was inside) and guessed you were avoiding that and I couldn't avoid you:(

Rejoined last and had a couple of very fair battles to 9th, not sure who you were, but thank you :)

Edit: And thanks for tonight Craig! Fantastic track... but well above my concentration levels:laugh:

Last edited:
Nice race again and thanks @Craig Dunkley for hosting :)
Had some really good and fair fights :thumbsup:

Regarding traffic:

Don't slow down in the corners, if the faster car wants to pass there, it's their job to pass you. Slowing down is dangerous. Only lift a bit if you're being passed on the straight.

In my opinion, blue flag means for the slower cars to let the faster cars pass, at a safe place (!) - ignoring the blue flag for a certain amount of time leads to a penalty. As a consequence, the faster car always has to be prepared that the car to be lapped will become slower.. Of course not at a blind spot and not on the racing line!
I got lapped by 2 cars (or 3?) in the race. In one case, I made a mistake at the first corner (braked too late) and was far on the outside, so I slowed down to stay on the track and to let the faster car pass. The lapping car got really, really close in that situation.. I don't know if it was you @Chris Down - if yes, sorry for confusing but I think haven't been on the racing line :whistling:

This track is imo hard for overtaking and also for lapping cars, the most safely way for that was the main straight.

Apologies on Scott's behalf. I didn't realise that the name was set by Steam as default, but we found it eventually! He had a lot of trouble in the last turn with a full fuel load, must have spun there 4 times with that bump at the apex and at least twice elsewhere. Setup was almost default and should maybe have had a little more ride height for that weight.. Hope we didn't cause too much hassle for everyone. Will get up to speed as soon as possible.

In my opinion, blue flag means for the slower cars to let the faster cars pass, at a safe place (!) - ignoring the blue flag for a certain amount of time leads to a penalty. As a consequence, the faster car always has to be prepared that the car to be lapped will become slower.. Of course not at a blind spot and not on the racing line!

From my perspective as the person usually lapping, there's always some tolerance. I'd much rather be blocked for a little longer if the car ahead is feeling uncertain about where to yield. However, that also means that if we're coming up to a dangerous section where yielding is hard, one might want to yield earlier if one might be caught in an area that's out of one's comfort zone to yield (for example, in the esses).

I got lapped by 2 cars (or 3?) in the race. In one case, I made a mistake at the first corner (braked too late) and was far on the outside, so I slowed down to stay on the track and to let the faster car pass. The lapping car got really, really close in that situation.. I don't know if it was you @Chris Down - if yes, sorry for confusing but I think haven't been on the racing line :whistling:

I had no incidents as far as I remember with you, I think everything was fine there :) The two I'm referencing were much more severe: one where the car being lapped simply turned into me while I'm already overtaking, and another where they stopped in the blind left hander.

This track is imo hard for overtaking and also for lapping cars, the most safely way for that was the main straight.

For sure, VIR is one of the harder ones. However, I think it's also the responsibility of everyone on the grid to know what to do in a situation where they are being lapped, and what their responsibilities (and that of the lapping car) are :) That's something I wasn't so certain I saw today.

eg. in VIR, I think it's perfectly safe to pass at (and one should expect to be passed at under blue flag) the following places:

• Main straight
  • The small straight after T3 leading to T4
  • After the blind left hander towards the double right
  • The back straight

Last edited:
Use your mic. Everyone has the real-time app running likely. If not, that should be as mandatory as teamspeak because with so many people using VR, its The only way to know the drivers around you.

Just come on the mic and let the lapper know you’re behind and even offer a place to swap. The person being lapped is now aware and can acknowledge greatly reducing the chance of an issue. Then we can stop referring to the FIA guidelines...

Use your mic. Everyone has the real-time app running likely. If not, that should be as mandatory as teamspeak because with so many people using VR, its The only way to know the drivers around you.

Just come on the mic and let the lapper know you’re behind and even offer a place to swap. The person being lapped is now aware and can acknowledge greatly reducing the chance of an issue. Then we can stop referring to the FIA guidelines...

Time to download the real-time app, although I'm not using VR:D
This app shows you the driver name's, right?

I had assumed that the your name was derived
from steam, but it only seems to work when I changed
my name in my AC option menu.
Went on line and it had changed to Ernie wright.

Changing it in steam did not work.

@Craig Dunkley is this correct, it does seem
to work.:geek:

Thanks for a great race , and that’s to everyone.
It is a very difficult circuit to overtake, and you
really have to take a risk every time you try for
an overtake. You really need the driver in front
to have a incident or mistake to give you a chance
of getting past. And even then you are relying on
the overtaken driver. The standards in this Gt3
series is very good, especially considering it has
its fair share of beginners.
I was part of the first corner incident, but did not get held up as much as @Medilloni , I am glad he out dragged into the first corner.;)

Never liked vir untel last night's race. Had a good race at the back (mostly passed People in the pits) Evenwith a few weeks mistake letting cars past sorry again to Chris for the mistake near the end. Will definitely be back next week if I can make it thanks all.

I had assumed that the your name was derived
from steam, but it only seems to work when I changed
my name in my AC option menu.
Went on line and it had changed to Ernie wright.

Hi Ernie ...I actually know who you are, but just want to be fair with the others.

It has nothing to do with steam, so you can change your name back in steam.

In AC go to your profile page and just put in your real name :thumbsup:

It's a bit complicated for the one lapping, because I used to call out that I'm lapping (eg. "Chris Down, just letting you know about the blue flag"), but I was asked not to do that since it felt too aggressive. In actual fact I wasn't trying to be aggressive, just let the person in front know that I'm there and I'm lapping them.

I might start doing it again, but probably have to work out some phrasing that makes people not feel so under pressure :)

Probably worth noting that taking tires is a mistake. I was having a very close fight with John Power who pitted in front of me with maybe a bit more pace than me. I pitted a lap later took 1 liter and carried on and was about 15 seconds in front of him for the rest of the race. I didn't notice too much degradation on the mediums which ended up around 50% and I was still doing similar laptimes to the start of the race.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back