AC GT3 @ VIR - Sunday 14th February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
The first line with "ffb noise" is not scaled up and down with the game gain. Only the gain in the profiler changes something so you need to edit the file like you did.
Did you put the gain back to 50% after editing the first line? Just asking in case you forgot :)

It's really weird.. It's like you take some English words and some old-northern-German words und use them in a way that nobody would ever do it but the literal meaning/translation still makes sense haha.
Gonna translate Han's example so you'll see what I mean :p

Na dann du wirst dies ok sein mit begreifen dann.
Wir gebrauchen viele Worte aus anderen Talenten in hier Niederlande, daher kann es good sein, dass darum auf Englisch ähnelt(liked).

Literal translation! I can understand it but it's wrong use of many words and completely mixed order of words. Sounds like some German that was in England for a year fell too heavy in his head, lol :roflmao:

If content manager shows the correct lut, it's working :)
You know you have this bug when you launch cm, it looks good, then you go on track, close ac, close CM, start cm again and it shows a different lut (or no lut)...

I've tested acc with the oculus too last summer and I didn't found it "to be a dog" but it's not as clean as AC so you don't want to run that low graphic settings. The gpu load is a lot higher, when it looks similar to ac.

Biggest issue with acc VS ac is that you don't really see the difference, while the gpu load is increased a lot because of features (which are nice with a 3080 but you'd rather get rid of these features instead of turning settings to low and make everything ugly).
Shadows and ambient occlusion are a lot more accurate and real compared to AC but when you put them on low, you'll have accurate but ugly shadows.
Everyone would prefer less accurate, pretty shadows like in AC...

Also it's a bit heavier on the cpu.
With my 10600k, AC with csp and everything runs at 88-95 fps at race starts and then goes up to about 120 fps.
Acc dips to about 80 fps at starts and then goes up to 95 fps.

When I'd want to have the oculus at 90 fps with asw triggering, it would be tough...
Not a massive difference but enough to make trouble.

With my current csp config in AC I'm at 70% gpu load though on my 3070.
Acc at the same 70% load looks phenomenal too though.
But when I disable all the csp stuff, I'm only at 30% gpu load...
(all loads with 90 fps limited)

Summary: ACC isn't only a dog in vr. It's the same with a monitor but on a monitor you get dial down the resolution scale a little bit and fps drops aren't that critical.
The performance for vr and monitors at the same resolution is pretty identical though.

Ok I give up on Dutch and German, I was never good at it at school - it is better that I concentrate on my telemetry :p

I can run ACC maxed out on my ASUS ROG but I turned off the dynamic super duper fragelistic shadows. I just can't see the line while driving otherwise - not that I have driven it much.

It is noticably slower than AC even on a monitor as you say.

Well, that could be tough for a non-Ti 1080. Mine is Odyssey+ and HP Reverb G2 has almost twice the pixel count of it
I have it on an ASUS G702 and it can be overdriven - is that adequate ? The Ti version is about 20% faster than mine so I thought a bit of judicious over driving might do the trick if so?

I don't think you can count on overclocking 1080 up to 1080ti level. But you can always reduce the rendering resolution for VR. It will make everything more blurrier of course, but probably not worse than what I could see in the Odyssey. I think I've even seen posts of people using G2 headset with an RX580 and being happy, so there's that

I don't think you can count on overclocking 1080 up to 1080ti level. But you can always reduce the rendering resolution for VR. It will make everything more blurrier of course, but probably not worse than what I could see in the Odyssey. I think I've even seen posts of people using G2 headset with an RX580 and being happy, so there's that
The best way is just to try it out I think and if it is not good then to build a new computer with something like a 2080 .... it couldn't possibly need more than that even for ACC (otherwise they probably have an inefficient rendering engine)

This stuff is so expensive, one might as well buy a racing car and drive it in the bathroom! :roflmao:

Last edited:
@jackdyson31

No secret with the gearing, you have some problems with the Nissan.
Fast circuits compromise first gear, that does not happen at VIR.
So starting from 6th, you can run the Nissan to the red line, I’ll look tomorrow.
I think I was running 168mph peak, so make every gear drop in 20 mph increments, difficult with the Nissan gearing. Be careful not to make gaps too wide.You can get caught out with locking wheel if you make spacing too wide.

( I do not use the change inhibit in AC )

I usually compromise first, second and third, where there is plenty of torque , 3rd ,4th ,5th and 6th close, 18,19,20 mph gaps

Again be aware of 2nd and 3rd wide spacing, you can lock-rear wheels.

The Nissan has really big changes in setups circuit to circuit, for me at least.

VIR bears no resemblance to red bull ring.

You can upload your VIR setup and I will look at it and suggest some changes.

I have found that setups are personal, happy to let you try mine, but best if I look at your setup and spot generic changes you can make without affecting what is personal to you. :)

The best way is just to try it out I think and if it is not good then to build a new computer with something like a 2080 .... it couldn't possibly need more than that even for ACC (otherwise they probably have an inefficient rendering engine)

This stuff is so expensive, one might as well buy a racing car and drive it in the bathroom! :roflmao:
It is. I'm pretty sure I'm over $5K into all my simracing stuff including the PC. I bought a decent used car for my older kid for about that a year ago.
But real-life racing is still stupidly much more expensive, especially the running costs that we don't really have in simracing. I think those 5 grand can probably make you through one entry-level go-kart season. Meanwhile I've been enjoying AC for at least 7 years and I started just with a G27 and a desk.

@jackdyson31

No secret with the gearing, you have some problems with the Nissan.
Fast circuits compromise first gear, that does not happen at VIR.
So starting from 6th, you can run the Nissan to the red line, I’ll look tomorrow.
I think I was running 168mph peak, so make every gear drop in 20 mph increments, difficult with the Nissan gearing. Be careful not to make gaps too wide.You can get caught out with locking wheel if you make spacing too wide.

( I do not use the change inhibit in AC )

I usually compromise first, second and third, where there is plenty of torque , 3rd ,4th ,5th and 6th close, 18,19,20 mph gaps

Again be aware of 2nd and 3rd wide spacing, you can lock-rear wheels.

The Nissan has really big changes in setups circuit to circuit, for me at least.

VIR bears no resemblance to red bull ring.

You can upload your VIR setup and I will look at it and suggest some changes.

I have found that setups are personal, happy to let you try mine, but best if I look at your setup and spot generic changes you can make without affecting what is personal to you. :)
Ciao Ernie - thanks for the kind reply mate - I am grateful. I am trying to understand it. Listen I will be happy to upload my setup : is there a file ? or do I copy the values by hand ? A few choice words might be invaluable to me like the rest of this discussion - it is either a downforce problem or a traction problem because the 3/4 seconds are on the straights so I will start thinking about it as well.

PS I did a 1:37 at the RBR last night on the standard setup. So I will try some more. The FFB is just divine - I can't stop smiling !

Last edited:
It is. I'm pretty sure I'm over $5K into all my simracing stuff including the PC. I bought a decent used car for my older kid for about that a year ago.
But real-life racing is still stupidly much more expensive, especially the running costs that we don't really have in simracing. I think those 5 grand can probably make you through one entry-level go-kart season. Meanwhile I've been enjoying AC for at least 7 years and I started just with a G27 and a desk.
Yes you are right - sim racing is great value for money. I was just kidding - I am still paying off my ROG which is a strong machine (the fastest in 2018) and it takes two power supplies for overdriving - so I thought it might be cool . I have no appetite to buy a new machine: I don't have space to put it anywhere and to retire the RoG is unthinkable emotionally speaking.

These people keep making games with questionable architectures - I suppose I am grateful they made one good one by accident : AC

Yes you are right - sim racing is great value for money. I was just kidding - I am still paying off my ROG which is a strong machine (the fastest in 2018) and it takes two power supplies for overdriving - so I thought it might be cool . I have no appetite to buy a new machine: I don't have space to put it anywhere and to retire the RoG is unthinkable emotionally speaking.

These people keep making games with questionable architectures - I suppose I am grateful they made one good one by accident : AC
AC was the first game that felt to me like driving a real car with rubber tires and I guess that got me hooked as it allowed to drive it by the feel, rather than trying to mentally match what's happening on the screen with my real life driving experience (none in the racing or even fast road cars, mind you) and some theoretical knowledge I had.

Last edited:
AC was the first game that felt to me like driving a real car with rubber tires and I guess that got me hooked as it allowed to drive it by the feel, rather than trying to mentally match what's happening on the screen with my real life driving experience (none in the racing or even fast road cars, mind you) and some theoretical knowledge I had.
A brilliant answer - I feel exactly as you describe - exactly : that is why I am so exuberant all the time. People trash it regularly, but I got desperate and just bought it by chance along with the DLCs in a special offer. I have spent about 200+ Euro to find the best and most accurate driving simulator came out 7 years ago and continues to be developed. Like a good algorithm it is not too hard on the computer, gives just enough detail to drive and is completely immersive (with LUT, SOL, CSP and new physics)

I cannot thank the community and Kunos enough for such a brain child.

I even feel motivated to contribute you know ? Just an amazing lovable sim - our sim.

Yes I very much agree with you.

Last edited:
@jackdyson31

I am definitely not in a position to advise or criticise.

I would have too much to say about your setup, not sure if my comments are really viable.

OIP.jpg

loads of people have criticized my setup, some say undrivable :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

So decide to circumvent all the waffle and give you my setup to try.

Attachments

• 1-45-0.6 latest.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
@jackdyson31

I would have too much to say about your setup, not sure if my comments are really viable.

View attachment 446557

loads of people have criticized my setup, some say undrivable :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I say old man! that's a good show if ever I saw one !
Cheerio !
:roflmao:

Speaking seriously, recieved with thanks and will make available my future data in return for aforesaid kindness ...

PS you have times like these and you call yourself "not naturally talented" - that's humble mate...

Last edited:
@jackdyson31

View attachment 446557

It's late, I am exhausted and I can't tell one braking point from another:

1613607130719.png

I went 1.5 secs faster with your setup in these dire conditions. With sleep I think I have maybe another 1.5 seconds in me. I did it because I thought I owed it to you. I just loaded the setup and have driven it - I did not look at any numbers so I don't know what you have put in there.

1) The traction on this setup is about twice what I have on the one that I gave you (if there is an undrivable setup it is my one). The Nissan does not move or slide and the pneumatic trail does not fall off.

2) The setup has exit understeer, but it is optimised to "eat" curbs as if they were road. Therefore the understeer is converted to neutral balance everywhere in the corner.

3) The gears are brilliant - you push them red as you said (in the above lap I did not because I forgot)

4) The grip is scary - I couldn't use all of it in these runs

As we saw from the telemetry - this setup is designed for exit speeds and traction. in T12 it turns around like a ballerina, no effort on my part. Upto T3 we have a very normal performance. After turn 3 the grip does not run out and thanks to the superb LUT you can feel the slip angle and just rotate the car out progressively to T5a (even asleep) where you can put your foot down at the exit of T5 and drive cool as a cucumber over the apex of T5a without unsettling the machine which gives you 1 second + at the top of the hill. Another two seconds at the exit of the T12 and another second or two at the last complex.

That's 4 seconds for an old friend

Jesus ...

PS Trust the stopwatch and your heart - don't listen to uninformed criticism.

:)

Last edited:
So pleased it worked for you, :thumbsup: the criticism thing was of a more of a joke really. I tend to try and make my setups safe.
Most prefere a car with more rotation and life ( agility ) in the car, My racing buddy john”s setup’s were usually better, I used to pinch his front end setup, keep my rear setup and go quicker.

John preferred more front grip, so I ended up with more front grip and less oversteer than john’s setup. :roflmao:

The amount of combinations available always make setting cars-up difficult.
As we race sometimes three times a week, I sometimes arrive at a race and realise my setup is wanting.
Although I have a sort of short cut to it now, you would be surprised how track conditions can effect some cars.
it is easy to get near the ball park with a setup, very time consuming to get that last few tenths.:unsure:

More natural driver’s rely mainly on their intuitive skill, setups although very important when racing equal talent, racing against less skilled drivers like little “ol” me have marginal significance to them. I need every ounce of advantage I can get to even try and be reasonably competitive.
Sometimes it works well for me, sometimes like with the Primera last night, a catastrophe:roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing