AC GT3 @ Sveg Raceway - Monday 06 May 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Love this track, far more challenging than it appears at first and really hope we have it again soon, thanks @Craig Dunkley as always, you are the track/car maestro :D

Garbage result for me tonight, lesson learnt, never spend a full day at the allotment then race... I was knackered:laugh:

Congrats to the podium guys, fantastic times, the replay is great!:)
Where can I find the replay, John?

@GEO147 and for any newbie setup sim racer.

Great advice already given, Craig has already covered tyre compounds and temps
If i may add my bit, never tried “any setup” that has suited me.
( i have tried dozens and dozens ). ( Nissan gtr gt3 )
As a mid fielder i think i am more in the range of average driving ability.
( So perhaps for a beginner these statements are more easy to appreciate. )
What i am hoping to stress, is that a setup will not make you much faster in this sim.
But wrong setups will make you slower and very likely to create an accidents of your
own making. ( AC car setups are initially good )

The important thing for me is to fiddle with traction control, diff, rear and front wing if fitted, toe,
gearing. ( assuming tyre pressures are correct for the circuit you are on ).

Just one note on wings, be carefully not to remove or add wing with out ensuring you are fully
aware of the consequences of aero balance being upset. ( adding just rear wing is usually ok )
Aero understeer is usually easy to deal with.

Then, with your newly acquired borrowed setup, drive the chosen circuit, being very aware
of the cars symptoms , if you find yourself struggling with rear stability coming out of some corners
put diff power down to 10% and sightly increase rear toe in , check with standard setup to
get a ball park figure. if it is still unstable , start to increase traction control until you get
an over stable rear end, then start to reverse some of the adjustments.
you can alway use diff coast or rear wing to stabilise corner entry,
my diff coast is usually set to 60%.
Sometimes i will start to remove coast in an attempt to get the car to turn in better. ( experiment )
When you are happy with that, move to the front , see how it obeys you with turn in.
if it is sluggish add some aero, add or subtract some toe. i am assuming that this setup
has all the main setting already done.
Or try and make the rear less stable , than it’s over stable state that you have created.
Coming off the circuit, in a exchange for any sort of instability is not a good idea when racing.
Until you are fully aware and capable of dealing with the consequences. ( i'm not )

( there is so much you can do but it would require pages of info ). i am mainly
talking about a borrowed setup.:)

Remember, setup , once everything is about right is for gains of tenths and that tenth
gain is usually lost on anther corner.

The reason i am beaten by the quick driver is that they are just more skill full than i.
If for one moment i thought it was setup, well, i would spend all my spare time on just that.

It’s easy for “paranoia” to set in and think there is some secret , like run with no camber
and woop doop i’m an alien. maybe there is, i have never discovered it.
Or maybe there is a special club for aliens and i have been left out. Op’s my “paranoia”
is taking over again.:confused:

Your own personal setup journey will combine with much experimenting and reading.
Rasmus gives really good advice, and really well explained too. So read his articles on
this subject, in these forums. Other people also give there great advice in his articles to.

It is important to concentrate on one car for honing your setup skills, eventually you will start
to understand setups better with respect to the car and yourself.

That is a very simple idea of how to go about setting your car up. As your driving improves,
so the setup will follow your ability.

i realise my setup would be seem laughable to the quicker drivers, there are also a lot of
guys who are considerably more knowledgeable than i, both in driving and car dynamics.

Don’t think that setup and speed on the track are one of the same thing, the best setup
car may be the one driven the slowest. :geek:

So i am trying to say :-

You do not need to be an expert on setups, your driving ability and setups should be moving
in harmony with one another, and so will your questions as they should start to become specific
rather than so massively general that they become unanswerable.

Remember, stability, lap times, accidents, skill, these are the things that you are constantly
juggling.

i enjoy setting up my car more than racing, but the racing gives my efforts meaning.
So i have concluded that my setting up ability is, as average as is my driving ability,
so for me personally it’s a good match.

i am sure this article is full of glaring holes, it’s by an average sim racer.:(

i always seem to be stating the bleeding obvious, sorry about that too.:rolleyes:

The 5th of May is the day the Dutch celebrate the liberation of the Netherlands in 1945. Usually it involves beer drinking so.... :p

Man, I love this track!! Thanks Craig! Finally a race for me without serious mistakes. In the first lap I got driven of the track in turn 3 by @pattikins wich costed me 3 or 4 places. @pattikins waited for me which was very decent of him :thumbsup:. Had later on bit of battle with @RobertR1 for a few laps but when he found the right pedal of invented the turbo:confused:he quickly got out of sight. Congratulations to the podium guys! :thumbsup: Very impressive lap times with the 650s. What is your secret? ;)

It was great fun and looking forward to see you all at Road Atlanta.

I started heavy breaking just after the 150 meter mark (unfortunately I still use my right foot for braking) @ turn 3 and to my horror I was catching you at a rapid rate of knots. Rather than run in to the back of you, I had to gamble on you taking a wider line and making a pass on your inside. Despite coming off the brakes @ the apex of the corner I didn't pull off the pass cleanly. My fault.

The incident cost me a good few places too. Even the forlorn red Mclaren that took an early detour managed to catch me up.

I started heavy breaking just after the 150 meter mark (unfortunately I still use my right foot for braking) @ turn 3 and to my horror I was catching you at a rapid rate of knots. Rather than run in to the back of you, I had to gamble on you taking a wider line and making a pass on your inside. Despite coming off the brakes @ the apex of the corner I didn't pull off the pass cleanly. My fault.

The incident cost me a good few places too. Even the forlorn red Mclaren that took an early detour managed to catch me up.
@pattikins : No hard feelings man, these things happen. I guess with cold medium tyres and a lot of fuel it makes quite a difference with qualifying on softs. And it the end, I think it didn't matter because I was 15s behind number 4. Oh, and I got disqualified for not doing the mandatory pitstop:laugh:.

@pattikins : After viewing the replay I see that it was also my fault. I could have given you more space in that turn.:notworthy: I guess I was too suprised you coming that fast beside me.

Last edited:
@GEO147 and for any newbie setup sim racer.

Great advice already given, Craig has already covered tyre compounds and temps
If i may add my bit, never tried “any setup” that has suited me.
( i have tried dozens and dozens ). ( Nissan gtr gt3 )
As a mid fielder i think i am more in the range of average driving ability.
( So perhaps for a beginner these statements are more easy to appreciate. )
What i am hoping to stress, is that a setup will not make you much faster in this sim.
But wrong setups will make you slower and very likely to create an accidents of your
own making. ( AC car setups are initially good )

The important thing for me is to fiddle with traction control, diff, rear and front wing if fitted, toe,
gearing. ( assuming tyre pressures are correct for the circuit you are on ).

Just one note on wings, be carefully not to remove or add wing with out ensuring you are fully
aware of the consequences of aero balance being upset. ( adding just rear wing is usually ok )
Aero understeer is usually easy to deal with.

Then, with your newly acquired borrowed setup, drive the chosen circuit, being very aware
of the cars symptoms , if you find yourself struggling with rear stability coming out of some corners
put diff power down to 10% and sightly increase rear toe in , check with standard setup to
get a ball park figure. if it is still unstable , start to increase traction control until you get
an over stable rear end, then start to reverse some of the adjustments.
you can alway use diff coast or rear wing to stabilise corner entry,
my diff coast is usually set to 60%.
Sometimes i will start to remove coast in an attempt to get the car to turn in better. ( experiment )
When you are happy with that, move to the front , see how it obeys you with turn in.
if it is sluggish add some aero, add or subtract some toe. i am assuming that this setup
has all the main setting already done.
Or try and make the rear less stable , than it’s over stable state that you have created.
Coming off the circuit, in a exchange for any sort of instability is not a good idea when racing.
Until you are fully aware and capable of dealing with the consequences. ( i'm not )

( there is so much you can do but it would require pages of info ). i am mainly
talking about a borrowed setup.:)

Remember, setup , once everything is about right is for gains of tenths and that tenth
gain is usually lost on anther corner.

The reason i am beaten by the quick driver is that they are just more skill full than i.
If for one moment i thought it was setup, well, i would spend all my spare time on just that.

It’s easy for “paranoia” to set in and think there is some secret , like run with no camber
and woop doop i’m an alien. maybe there is, i have never discovered it.
Or maybe there is a special club for aliens and i have been left out. Op’s my “paranoia”
is taking over again.:confused:

Your own personal setup journey will combine with much experimenting and reading.
Rasmus gives really good advice, and really well explained too. So read his articles on
this subject, in these forums. Other people also give there great advice in his articles to.

It is important to concentrate on one car for honing your setup skills, eventually you will start
to understand setups better with respect to the car and yourself.

That is a very simple idea of how to go about setting your car up. As your driving improves,
so the setup will follow your ability.

i realise my setup would be seem laughable to the quicker drivers, there are also a lot of
guys who are considerably more knowledgeable than i, both in driving and car dynamics.

Don’t think that setup and speed on the track are one of the same thing, the best setup
car may be the one driven the slowest. :geek:

So i am trying to say :-

You do not need to be an expert on setups, your driving ability and setups should be moving
in harmony with one another, and so will your questions as they should start to become specific
rather than so massively general that they become unanswerable.

Remember, stability, lap times, accidents, skill, these are the things that you are constantly
juggling.

i enjoy setting up my car more than racing, but the racing gives my efforts meaning.
So i have concluded that my setting up ability is, as average as is my driving ability,
so for me personally it’s a good match.

i am sure this article is full of glaring holes, it’s by an average sim racer.:(

i always seem to be stating the bleeding obvious, sorry about that too.:rolleyes:

Thanks Ernie. I totally get what your saying. So more practice is more beneficial than a great setup.
I ran with front aero at 1 and rear at 3 on mediums with 19psi all round. Car felt very stable and no offs or spins which I was very happy with. It was based on a shared setup from somewhere can't recall .
We're those aero and Tyre settings similar to others?
I defo left time out there for sure as hadn't any practice prior to the race. But the track is awesome .

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.6%