AC GT3 @ Silverstone - Sunday 18th July 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

Interslice

Staff
Premium
Welcome to the RD Assetto Corsa Racing Club. On Sunday 18th of July we're off to Silverstone, for some GT3 racing action and you are invited to join!!

Screenshot_ks_nissan_gtr_gt3_lemans_2017_3-6-121-12-31-41.jpg

Join us!

This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help don't hesitate to ask on discord before the race, or right here on the forum... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members using their full real name in the forum, race servers and discord can sign up for this event. We have limited slots so sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge!

Not a premium member yet but interested to race with our group of friendly drivers? Click here and here to learn how you can participate as well.

Silverstone-GP-Wing-Pits-2021.448267d9150f9ed008d802be04ee4a6a.png

Server information:
  • Practice Server: #12 (Available throughout the race week)
  • Race server: S.GP
  • 20:00 CEST, 19:00 DST (18:00 UTC) | 1 hour 20 minutes - Official Practice
  • 21:20 CEST, 20:20 DST (19:20 UTC) | 20 minutes - Qualification
  • 21:40 CEST, 20:40 DST (19:40 UTC) | 60 minutes - Race

Cars: DLC is required for this event

Event details:
  • Track: Silverstone GP, England
  • Pit stop: Mandatory (Between 10 and 60 minutes)
  • Track Temps: 20C air/26C track
  • Track Condition: Clear
  • Damage: 10%
  • Further info on simracing.gp

Useful Links:

Last edited:
A message to all Drivers

If you run off track, you have to check to see that its clear before you re enter the track. Do not just keep the gas pinned and pull back on track.

When entering the track from the pits, stay off the racing line until you are up to speed. Do not race on your out lap, let other drivers by. On re-entering the track stay off the racing line until you are up to race speed and do not block any fast approaching car.

Always try to re-enter the track parallel to the racing line.

Golden Rule
  1. If you hit somebody off the track and carry on like nothing happened, you take the risk of being banned for 30 days.
  2. Instead, you should always wait for the affected drivers, and that way you can be 100% sure you will not get a ban.
Track limits
  1. No more than 2 wheels over the white/yellow line without a lift of the gas please.
    You will be penalized if you break our rules
Note: Please use your full real name in Discord. Not doing so may result in you being kicked from the server if an admin cannot identify you as a premium member.

Hav

Have a go in tomorrow's TT/MX5 multi-class event if you want some experience in a slower car.
I've been given this advice a lot, and I don't mean to dismiss it, because I understand where it's coming from, but what I need is to learn how to be faster in the GT3 cars. IDK what I'm doing wrong in them because my times are way off. In the past I was told my corner exits are too slow, but IDK what I'm doing wrong. I can beat the AI at 96% skill / 50% agg (I did a 1 v. 1 race,) and maybe higher since I was 10s ahead after 5 laps. Why am I so slow?

I've been trying AI races in the TT with 12 competitors, 100% skill and aggression. I then wait at the back for one lap and see how long it takes get to the front. Takes me about 8 laps atm.

Does anyone know what setup the AI cars use - do they use default or do they copy your car? I don't think the AI cars are particularly fast - even at 100% skill. Certainly not as quick as the racers in these series.
I'm probably in the bottom 25% in the GT3 races but the TT helps me really learn the circuit and work out passing places. Things happen slower in the TT so you have time to learn and react.

What GT3 car are you driving? I think some are harder to drive than others? What setup changes are you making? Some of the more experienced racers might have some suggestions. You probably need someone to go on the practice server with you and give you some tips.

I guess you could also post a replay file and folks could have a look and suggest things.

One of the main reason to drive the slower cars is to learn the importance of rolling speed and minimizing tire scrub.

To expand a bit on tire scrub, take a MX5 Cup for example. You can be full throttle but if there is excessive steering lock, you are forcing the car to push against it's intention of going forward. This creates a scrub of the tire which impacts your forward momentum even though you're full throttle! The amount of scrub directly relates to the time lost. To make matters worse, this loss continues to build up until the next corner so if the car ahead of you had a similar exit but with no scrub, they're going to keep pulling a distance on you. So it's easy to think you're pushing hard and driving balls out only to have the car infront continue to build a gap while putting less input into the controls.

This tire scrub not only impacts slower cars but also F1 cars where and anything in between. It's how tires and physics work in AC and in real life as well.

The problem with GT3 is that the cars are very capable, easy to drive given their ultimate pace and have heavily sophisticated ABS and TC systems. This tends to mask a lot of driver input errors but the net result is a large gap the cars upfront. This often leads to the drivers looking for some magic setup change to fix it all but there isn't one.

That's why driving the slower cars is important. It teases out the weakness in your driving and with very limited changes available in setup, you're left with self analysis to make up the gap.

I've been given this advice a lot, and I don't mean to dismiss it, because I understand where it's coming from, but what I need is to learn how to be faster in the GT3 cars. IDK what I'm doing wrong in them because my times are way off. In the past I was told my corner exits are too slow, but IDK what I'm doing wrong. I can beat the AI at 96% skill / 50% agg (I did a 1 v. 1 race,) and maybe higher since I was 10s ahead after 5 laps. Why am I so slow?
Two ways of efficient practice on your own:
1. Ask for a replay file. Not a video, a replay file where you can play it back and forth in slow motion etc.
Take some time and only focus on a few corners first. I would suggest focusing on the first 3 corners.
Take notes. And I mean write them down!

Then get the notes on a second monitor or write them on paper and tape it next to your monitor.

Go into the hotlap mode and repeat the first few corners until you think you're doing then right. Compare speeds, inputs, lines.

Then watch the next few corners and repeat this for the full track.

I did this a few times. Takes a few weeks to get up to pace on one track with one car.
But every correctly learnt corner will improve your skill in general so after I did this for a few tracks and cars, I could transfer it to new tracks and cars and get up to pace a lot quicker!

2. Get into motec, ask someone for his telemetry data.

Do the same as you would do with the replay file but this time you have it black on white in perfect overview.
Downside: you don't see it live on track.

So the best way would be to get a replay file of a good lap together with the telemetry file.

Getting fast takes time and commitment. Or a lot of talent or "pre-skills".
I consider myself not really having either so I sat down, asked nicely for data and spent a few weeks doing what I discribed.

The only issue with this procedure is that you're copying a faster driver. But the faster driver might do things wrong, that you already did right.
So over time, you'll need data from either a super fast driver like Chris or Dmitry or you'll need data from different drivers and pick the best parts from each.

One of the main reason to drive the slower cars is to learn the importance of rolling speed and minimizing tire scrub.

To expand a bit on tire scrub, take a MX5 Cup for example. You can be full throttle but if there is excessive steering lock, you are forcing the car to push against it's intention of going forward. This creates a scrub of the tire which impacts your forward momentum even though you're full throttle! The amount of scrub directly relates to the time lost. To make matters worse, this loss continues to build up until the next corner so if the car ahead of you had a similar exit but with no scrub, they're going to keep pulling a distance on you. So it's easy to think you're pushing hard and driving balls out only to have the car infront continue to build a gap while putting less input into the controls.

This tire scrub not only impacts slower cars but also F1 cars where and anything in between. It's how tires and physics work in AC and in real life as well.

The problem with GT3 is that the cars are very capable, easy to drive given their ultimate pace and have heavily sophisticated ABS and TC systems. This tends to mask a lot of driver input errors but the net result is a large gap the cars upfront. This often leads to the drivers looking for some magic setup change to fix it all but there isn't one.

That's why driving the slower cars is important. It teases out the weakness in your driving and with very limited changes available in setup, you're left with self analysis to make up the gap.
What's a good time around Silverstone in the MX5? I'll give it a try and see where I'm at.

@Goblin616

Frank, some people are handed gifts , all free, some are just not, why it is, is just a big of a mystery to me as anyone else.
You pick a sport you like, sim racing is a sport, just like any sport.
Assuming you like me, you were out somewhere else when the gifts were handed out.
That just leaves two out comes , give up and just enjoy it for what it is, buckle down and enjoy the real pleasure in trying to be good at your chosen sport
Rasmus started along with many others in what is probably a vain attempt to get my overall pace up for online sim racing, it has taken me 4 years of the most enjoyable effort. ( plus I race against the nicest bunch of guys here on RaceDepartment )
I have got so much pleasure from working my way up the field, I know I am never going to be an alien, perhaps you too, but in the big scheme of things, does it really matter, it is the journey that is important,
Glory comes and goes, the pleasure of trying always remains.
You need to see that the quick fix never never works.
My advice with out explanations of how to go fast, Rasmus and others here are much better at that, is to start the real pleasure of sim racing, trying to get more competitive .
Of all the sports I have unsuccessfully been involved with in my long life ( relative ) :roflmao: sim racing has been the most interesting to compete in.
I don’t have to face our miserable weather training, being nearly run over every few weeks, battling away in the pouring rain, unsuccessfully mending punctures in the freezing cold by the side of the road, and on and on. Here in sim racing I can enjoy a sunny day in Italy when ever I want too.
Get advice, follow it, even one of our resident aliens ( Chris) was not a super hero from the word go, I know from reading and listening to him he has done a lot of work to get where he is,
Sermon over. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%