AC GT3 @ Road America - Sunday 4th April 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Well, it shows you steering the same way in the replay too, so I guess there's 1:1 match with the virtual wheel. My point was that you needed to steer less, not more. The amount of steering needed could be somewhat setup-dependent, but even with a rather safe default setup you don't need to turn the wheel that much. You can clearly hear the fronts scrubbing away the speed. And the induced understeer forces you to lift off where otherwise you might not have to. I see that you could not take the Kink flatout on fresh tires in quali while that feat should be doable in the Audi even on worn tires in the race.

The only times I might do that kind of steering is when I really need to warm the front tires before starting a flying lap in quali because in some track/weather combos fronts just don't heat up enough when driving normally. But that's only good when I can throw away the lap I'm doing it on because it comes with a big time loss.

You probably got used to steer that way and it might be very hard for you to avoid doing it, but if you invest some time into re-learning this you should eventually see your lap times getting better (after they get worse initially). AC gives a very nice feeling of the limit when you rotate the wheel. The force you feel goes up and up until you turn it too much and after this point it decreases because the fronts tires basically start sliding and give less resistance to turning them.
When you're watching your replay I'm 99% sure that you will have a perfect comparison.
The replay data only stores the steering degree of the car, not some virtual settings or whatever the user's wheels make of it.

How much more does he turn in your replay?

First race in the McLaren.....hmmm needs more practice I think! Best to start at the back when trying this, so my errors affect others less.

Thanks Chris, it was good to hear your voice at the start! See you all at Brands Hatch.

When you're watching your replay I'm 99% sure that you will have a perfect comparison.
The replay data only stores the steering degree of the car, not some virtual settings or whatever the user's wheels make of it.

How much more does he turn in your replay?
What I saw in the replay matched what I saw in Dean's youtube video with his physical wheel. The virtual wheel was turned close to 90 degrees in the carousel and his front wheels also turned way more than I had them in my car. Nobody else steered that much, definitely not in MR cars.

What I saw in the replay matched what I saw in Dean's youtube video with his physical wheel. The virtual wheel was turned close to 90 degrees in the carousel and his front wheels also turned way more than I had them in my car. Nobody else steered that much, definitely not in MR cars.
Interestingly it worked at road Atlanta!

Maybe he found a glitch in ac hehe

I found this on youtube, so maybe that's the kind of steering that works in rF2 for some reason:

That guy also has a Bathurst rF2 lap video there where he's steering almost 180 into T1 :confused:
Could also be that the Vette has a high steering ratio though

I found this on youtube, so maybe that's the kind of steering that works in rF2 for some reason:

That guy also has a Bathurst rF2 lap video there where he's steering almost 180 into T1 :confused:
Could also be that the Vette has a high steering ratio though

Rf2 doesn’t penalize you for overdriving like AC does. Video is a solid example of that.

There’s a reason why rf2 regulars complain about iracing the most. Completely opposite.

henri is a great driver btw. Just doing what he needs to go fast in rf2, that’s all.

Last edited:
Rf2 doesn’t penalize you for overdriving like AC does. Video is a solid example of that.

There’s a reason why rf2 regulars complain about iracing the most. Completely opposite.

henri is a great driver btw. Just doing what he needs to go fast in rf2, that’s all.
Yeah, I watched his AC Bathurst low 2:04 lap (apparently from some RD event, lots of familiar names there) and he's not doing anything weird with the steering wheel in it

Speaking of, you need to try the reboot conversion of Bathurst. Just amazing.
Not sure about RD policy on this kind of mods, but I'm afraid that we can't have it for an RD-sponsored event
Indeed, sadly not, although the reboot version was once started here on RD.
But the author moved on to other games before completing Bathurst, so there's no download here on rd.

Of course the test versions were "completed" from some groups apparently though.

For RD events, the mod needs to:
- be legal
- be available on RD, which includes being legal and if not, it should be reported and then deleted

This Bathurst version is somewhere in between.. It's scratch made but then kind of ripped from the author who abandoned it.
Difficult situation...

The one I found had "So much love and attention to detail has gone into this conversion from ACC" in the description, so I guess it's a different mod

Very disappointed to miss the second server announcement and hence the restart. I was talking to @Programmer_Rich at the time who is struggling to gain access to the discord chat. He can see the channel but can't join. He's pressed the "Ask to Join" button but what should happen next? Is this the way to gain access?

Really looking forward to this event and had done the MX5 event and hours of practice. If I hadn't invested so much effort then it wouldn't have hurt so much to miss it ☹
For anyone who has a similar problem with Discord chat, the solution was to
Disassociate the Discord account in RD and then reconnect it

There are still some cars I havn't driven for a whole "weekend" and it's time to give them a chance. Next sunday though, it will be the 650s with GB livery ;)

It's one thing to have a plan, but you need to be in the race to execute it! There's only one place left & I don't see your name on the list.

Get yer arse in gear 2021-04-07_12-48-52.jpg

Edit: I meant to ask. Did you use the set up from Dan Costa (Sveg)? It's the one I generally use for this track.

Last edited:
...and it's gone:
View attachment 462382

Isn't there a version of the track with more pit stalls available?
Yes we raced on the osrw version last time.
But the sgp stuff isn't managed by the rd hosts and it sadly takes some time for anything to get added.
Sometimes very quick, sometimes a few weeks.

I don't know if a track change is possible without re-creating the whole event and reset all sign ups...

Yes we raced on the osrw version last time.
But the sgp stuff isn't managed by the rd hosts and it sadly takes some time for anything to get added.
Sometimes very quick, sometimes a few weeks.

I don't know if a track change is possible without re-creating the whole event and reset all sign ups...
Yes I think it's possible and we can do it if the OSRW version is available on S.GP. But at the moment, it isn't.

But seeing the success of the Wednesday multiclass and the GT3 events, I think that Chris his successor will choose for a track with more than 24 spots next time.

Yeah, agreed (both about Henri and rF2). I've driven GT3 class on track before and, from my limited experience, AC is significantly closer to the mechanics of the experience there than rF2 (and ACC is even closer with its chassis flex behaviour, although in my opinion it's not night and day).

All three of those sims though have their own little deviations from reality. It's just the reality of producing a simulator that in some areas you're going to end up spending more time, some less, and you're going to end up compromising things to produce a cohesive experience.

(But it certainly is "interesting" watching people fight over which sim is the best, or looking down on people who play arcade titles when all racing titles -- sim or otherwise -- have their limitations, and at the end of the day in none of them you are experiencing the physical aspect.)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 161 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing