AC GT3 @ Road America - Sunday 4th April 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Totally my fault Chris, got impatient and tried to pass where I shouldn't have. Sorry about the misunderstanding, I'd stopped to let you go past but we ended up there both sitting on the track :D

Was great fun anyways!
Nah, your pass was good, you were alongside and were faster. I was gonna do the old criss-cross and sneak behind you, but tapped your bumper instead. After that it was talking to a girl on the phone in grade school... "no, you hang up... no, YOU hang up!" :roflmao:

Hmm I would say a race not to remember.
Qualified 6th. And had a horrible start as always. I found myself in a very tide situation in T2. Got a little punt in the side rear which was uncatchable while breaking. Slided into another car and spun around. Waited until everyone has passed by, but due to the freaking spot I got hit twice again. Sorry to everyone who was effected by that.
So from the last position I basically started the race. First couple of laps I managed to get back to 12th but touched the grass on the breaking zone into the last chicane. Down to 14th. After the pits I managed to stabilize my lap times and got a decent pace finally. Made my way up to 7th, but couldnt catch Thommas cause our laptimes were to identical. Maybe without the incident in T2 or my self inflicted spin I could have ended up further ahead, but it is what it is.
Lets see if and when the next race will happen.

Here is the replay if anyone is interested: https://we.tl/t-06mBlxoLNJ

and results: https://simresults.net/210405-3SN

Last edited:
That was quite an eventful race. @pattikins finally did a great start and left me no chance to jump him before T1. I then tried to take the inside in T3, but he promptly closed the door and since I took a narrow entry my exit wasn't great and @Chris Down got a good run on me into T5 (honestly, who called those T2 and T4 "corners"?). I kept the inside for it, but jumped on the curb and had to correct the car, so he passed me easily. Then I missed the braking point into T8 and ran wide which allowed @thom462 to get slightly ahead of me. I ran the inside line in Carousel and he was on the outside, but unfortunately we touched and both went off. I was not sure who's fault it was (looking at the replay now I'd say it was probably a racing incident, he moved to the inside, I moved to the outside at the same moment), so I waited for Thomas to go ahead.

I rejoined in P14 and began to work my way through the filed after I let my tires to cool down. I made a few good passes and eventually caught up with @beginer in P8. I did not expect his GT-R to slow down that much in the Kink, so even with my throttle lifted I gave him a lovely little push into that thick butt (Chris, sorry about that). Fortunately, he was able to regain control without spinning out and we continued albeit with other cars closing in. It resulted in a nice 3-way run through the last corners which I came out ahead from. A few laps after that, I caught up with @Interslice and eventually passed him on braking into T1 (looked almost like a dive-bomb in the race, but not that bad in the replay). The next car was @hape and I got stuck and lost time behind him, so Brian made an undercut which worked in his favor and he then passed me back when I went out of the pits after changing tires and taking fuel. This resulted in our battle #2 in this race and yet again inside into T1 worked for me.

But before all that, I felt really sorry for Chris Down who had an unfortunate accident in the middle of the race right in front of me (he just left the pits on that lap). You were clearly on the way to win this, Chris.

After exiting the pits and then getting my position back and I could see @SOLO59 running ahead in P4 as he apparently didn't stop yet (on soft tires!), but he simply let me through when I reached him. The guy in P3 was some 17 or so seconds ahead, so I tried to push as much as I could which led to me clipping the outside grass in the Carousel with the left rear and going off there again. There went my podium hopes, and Brian also went past me, but there were still enough laps left to get that P4 back. That was our final battle in the race and this time I could not get a good enough run on the start straight for a few laps, but eventually made the pass by crossing the lines in the Canada corner. Nearly lost my car a few seconds before that running slightly wide into the grass in the Kink, but managed to save it. There were just a couple of laps left after that, and no more action, so I finished in P4.

Congrats to Patrick for winning this race! But why did you pit the second time? Not enough gas or just for the fun of it?

My race setup is attached. I had to really work around overheating left rear tire. Ended up with +5 psi and half degree more negative camber on that wheel. That kept it at 89-91 after the Kink, while normally it would heat up to 96-99 and become a huge problem in the next corners.

Thanks @Chris Down for organizing this race, I hope your last event as a staff member will play out much better for you. See you the next weekend!

Attachments

• race_1.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 54
Luckily manged to get a respectable quali in. Was never going to catch the guys ahead anyway so was happy with 9th to start it.

I had a bit of a slow launch but managed to stick to the inside lines through the first few corners and dropped back to 10th but, also in a good spot to avoid any incidents in front.. Big lap 1 incident on the run down to the first left, could see it coming and swerved past a few spinners, almost free and away in 4th I got clipped by stefano bouncing back onto the track, out of the carnage.
Almost a carbon copy of my start here back last summer in the z4. Back to 16th second last. Second lap another big crash, and i'm back up in 10th, luckily get through this time..

Managed to chug away and make a few passes up to 6th. Dimitri was the only carnage victim to catch me passing me first time just before the pits. I decided to pit a bit early as my tyres were struggling and chris and patrick were coming up on us. @Chris Down made a great move on me around the outside of the carousel. I'm not sure he would have tried it if he knew how much trouble my tyres were giving me! Gave a bit of a squeeze to him but, the car was getting wobbly. Luckily then got the undercut on dimitri but didn't stay ahead long. I was more interested in catching dean and not getting caught by @thom462 behind.

@demetri unfortunately had a spin just as I caught up to dean . I tried to stay away from him knowing there was only 14 minutes left but he caught me with about 8 minutes still to go! It was a good little battle for the spot. 2 laps left after he got passed. I set a new pb trying to put some pressure on but still couldn't get near the audi...

Thanks to chris for organising. Congrats to pat for the win. Well deserved after knocking on the door the last few weeks.

Last edited:
I wanted to hive special thanks to @Chris Down for organizing these races. Your effort made my (and others) lives better in a few ways:

first, everyone needs something to look forward to, and sunday racing was the highlight of my week. Ive got no idea how much effort it takes to moderate a race and a chatroom at the same time. I assume its pretty involved. Im sure it was a labor of love, but it is still appreciated.

second, everyone needs something to strive for. Watching your skill as a driver was inspiring and gave me a long term goal. I know im pretty far from your level, but thats ok. Theres no rush.

(theres no rush ... maybe thats why im so slow .. but anyway...)

third, you set a good tone for this room. So much of the internet is filled with trolls and disrespectful people, but not here. These discussions were always civil and polite. No one was putting anyone else down and thats refreshing to see.

again, thank you and keep kickin ass out there!

Had a really good race today. Needed a bounce back from my last race at Bahrain.

Could only manage P10 in qualy. I've done a high 2.05 in practice the day before but couldn't match it today. Lap times for the top 9 were crazy!

Turn one I recieved a hard bump from behind, sent me off but not spinning. Turn two, Had to go off track to avoid the accident ahead. Spent the rest of the race managing tires and had a couple good battles.

I usually do the one set of soft tires thing only pitting for 2 litres of fuel. But Road America absolutely KILLS the front left! Still, thought I could manage softs all the way. Made my pitstop real late. While in the pits I was so beside myself contemplating tires or fuel.... Tires or freaking fuel.... 13 minutes to go... Left front tire wear was about 97%... So after fumbling with the buttons to switch pit strategy to tires, missed my damn pit box lol...

After the pit, I was putting in some good lap times I wasn't doing early on. I was catching Andreas for P9. Caught up to him but rear ended him into the slow lefty turn 3 I think. I completely misjudged his braking. My fault regardless... So I waited and apologized after the race. Then we had a nice battle for the remaining few laps but I couldn't get pass (in my video, the last 6 minutes you can catch that battle)

Thanks Chris for organizing and congrats to patrick for the win!

My external view below

Last edited:
Very disappointed to miss the second server announcement and hence the restart. I was talking to @Programmer_Rich at the time who is struggling to gain access to the discord chat. He can see the channel but can't join. He's pressed the "Ask to Join" button but what should happen next? Is this the way to gain access?

Really looking forward to this event and had done the MX5 event and hours of practice. If I hadn't invested so much effort then it wouldn't have hurt so much to miss it ☹️

Had a really good race today. Needed a bounce back from my last race at Bahrain.

Could only manage P10 in qualy. I've done a high 2.05 in practice the day before but couldn't match it today. Lap times for the top 9 were crazy!

Turn one I recieved a hard bump from behind, sent me off but not spinning. Turn two, Had to go off track to avoid the accident ahead. Spent the rest of the race managing tires and had a couple good battles.

I usually do the one set of soft tires thing only pitting for 2 litres of fuel. But Road America absolutely KILLS the front left! Still, thought I could manage softs all the way. Made my pitstop real late. While in the pits I was so beside myself contemplating tires or fuel.... Tires or freaking fuel.... 13 minutes to go... Left front tire wear was about 97%... So after fumbling with the buttons to switch pit strategy to tires, missed my damn pit box lol...

After the pit, I was putting in some good lap times I wasn't doing early on. I was catching Andreas for P9. Caught up to him but rear ended him into the slow lefty turn 3 I think. I completely misjudged his braking. My fault regardless... So I waited and apologized after the race. Then we had a nice battle for the remaining few laps but I couldn't get pass (in my video, the last 6 minutes you can catch that battle)

Thanks Chris for organizing and congrats to patrick for the win!

My external view below
Front left in the Audi :confused: ? I was killing rear left, though front left also heated up in T9-T11, but it then cooled down quickly. Watching your video it looks like you're steering way more that I am. E.g. my steering input in the carousel was about 45 degrees

steering.jpg

and you were turning the wheel almost 90.

1617603442977.png

You probably force the car into huge understeer by that which destroys the front tires and also your laptimes

Front left in the Audi :confused: ? I was killing rear left, though front left also heated up in T9-T11, but it then cooled down quickly. Watching your video it looks like you're steering way more that I am. E.g. my steering input in the carousel was about 45 degrees

View attachment 461609

and you were turning the wheel almost 90.

View attachment 461610

You probably force the car into huge understeer by that which destroys the front tires and also your laptimes

I know and agree with exactly what you're saying. Its the only thing I don't like about Assetto Corsa.
The only wary I can get the car to turn is to lower the steering lock and ratio something like 450 for the Audi. In my other sims I usually lower the it the lock/ratio and only then I'm able to use less steering input. In AC, the steering lock setting is missing in the car setup. I use 900 degrees for my TM Wheel in game and TM Settings as I do for all other sims. If I try lowering this in game AC Controller settings or TM Settings to like 450 or even 540, the car becomes very twitchy and not controllable. I learn to deal with it in AC the way it is, knowing I'm losing time and sometimes tires. I know I have to turn more, but I "try" to be smooth. This was the first time in a very long time since I had to pit for tires in a Sunday GT3 race. This track I needed more steering than usual I guess. Some cars like the Porsche, it turns ok for me and I can drive it without too much steering input. But I don't drive it all the time unless I want a challenge managing its tires.

Congrats Patrick and to the podiums :thumbsup: Thanks Chris as always.

Out of boredom I went for the SCG this time. Actually it was my weapon of choice when I started here at RD and had no idea of racing. Very stable and easy to drive car. The only problem are the brakes in this car. Unbelievable how bad they are. After the server restart, I ran into technical problems and barely made it to qualyfing with only enough time left to do a single lap. That safety lap meant starting from the back of the grid but to be fair, even my PB would have only put me 2,3 places further ahead. So I was ready for some delicate midfield battles but boy, midfield is mayhem :D Cars everywhere, facing every possible direction. Bumped into @SOLO59 at T1 (sorry, glad you could go on) and when exiting the Carousel for the first time, I clipped the curb at the inside and spun :/ With overheated tyres I spun again in the penultimate corner. So my race was pretty much over before it even started. With nothing to lose, I decided not to change tyres and see how one set of softs will do. Problem was, I still had to refuel and the SCG is a thirsty boy. So the net-win of not changing tyres, wasn't that big. In the end I think it was a net-loss because I lost about 2-3 seconds per lap with old softs. But at least it was enough to exit the pits in the top ten and left me with some nice battles with @Stefano La Commare and @SOLO59 . With 0 tyres at the rear and left front I had to defend so hard but had a lot of fun while doing it.

There are still some cars I havn't driven for a whole "weekend" and it's time to give them a chance. Next sunday though, it will be the 650s with GB livery ;)

I know and agree with exactly what you're saying. Its the only thing I don't like about Assetto Corsa.
The only wary I can get the car to turn is to lower the steering lock and ratio something like 450 for the Audi. In my other sims I usually lower the it the lock/ratio and only then I'm able to use less steering input. In AC, the steering lock setting is missing in the car setup. I use 900 degrees for my TM Wheel in game and TM Settings as I do for all other sims. If I try lowering this in game AC Controller settings or TM Settings to like 450 or even 540, the car becomes very twitchy and not controllable. I learn to deal with it in AC the way it is, knowing I'm losing time and sometimes tires. I know I have to turn more, but I "try" to be smooth. This was the first time in a very long time since I had to pit for tires in a Sunday GT3 race. This track I needed more steering than usual I guess. Some cars like the Porsche, it turns ok for me and I can drive it without too much steering input. But I don't drive it all the time unless I want a challenge managing its tires.
Just a little comment about this:
I'm not sure if the real gt3 Audi has a variable steering lock. Not sure about gt3 regulations..

But AC has the real life steering ratios etc in the car models and when you're using 900/900 game and wheel, ac will automatically adjust the steering ratio and lock to the real life values.

My approach to "weird" cars was always "well it's like that in real life so I'm better get used to it!".

Anyway if you want to adjust it, you can do so in a few different ways:
1. Lower ac degrees and tm degrees to the same value. As soon as you go below the real life value, the car will become" more twitchy".
In example real life being 600 degrees, you setting 500 degrees = 600 degrees compressed into 500 degrees.
This way the virtual wheel will automatically be still 1:1 turning.

2. Set ac and tm to different values.
AC to 700, tm to 500 = 700 compressed into 500.
Virtual wheel won't be 1:1 anymore.
Luckily you can set the virtual wheel turning limit manually. Yet it to 500 and it will be 1:1 again

3. You can also make the car less twitchy with 2.:
Ac to 500, tm to 700 = 500 de-compressed into 700.
Adjust the virtual wheel limit to 700 and it should be 1:1 again.

Very disappointed to miss the second server announcement and hence the restart. I was talking to @Programmer_Rich at the time who is struggling to gain access to the discord chat. He can see the channel but can't join. He's pressed the "Ask to Join" button but what should happen next? Is this the way to gain access?

Really looking forward to this event and had done the MX5 event and hours of practice. If I hadn't invested so much effort then it wouldn't have hurt so much to miss it ☹
Yeah I was sad when you didn't turn up (and Ernie too). I missed you there mate! Always wonderful to race you :) and I know exactly what you mean.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for coming out last night! Next week we'll be at Brands Hatch. Come join us for 60 minutes of Sunday GT3 action!

That was quite an eventful race. @pattikins finally did a great start and left me no chance to jump him before T1. I then tried to take the inside in T3, but he promptly closed the door and since I took a narrow entry my exit wasn't great and @Chris Down got a good run on me into T5 (honestly, who called those T2 and T4 "corners"?). I kept the inside for it, but jumped on the curb and had to correct the car, so he passed me easily. Then I missed the braking point into T8 and ran wide which allowed @thom462 to get slightly ahead of me. I ran the inside line in Carousel and he was on the outside, but unfortunately we touched and both went off. I was not sure who's fault it was (looking at the replay now I'd say it was probably a racing incident, he moved to the inside, I moved to the outside at the same moment), so I waited for Thomas to go ahead.

I rejoined in P14 and began to work my way through the filed after I let my tires to cool down. I made a few good passes and eventually caught up with @beginer in P8. I did not expect his GT-R to slow down that much in the Kink, so even with my throttle lifted I gave him a lovely little push into that thick butt (Chris, sorry about that). Fortunately, he was able to regain control without spinning out and we continued albeit with other cars closing in. It resulted in a nice 3-way run through the last corners which I came out ahead from. A few laps after that, I caught up with @Interslice and eventually passed him on braking into T1 (looked almost like a dive-bomb in the race, but not that bad in the replay). The next car was @hape and I got stuck and lost time behind him, so Brian made an undercut which worked in his favor and he then passed me back when I went out of the pits after changing tires and taking fuel. This resulted in our battle #2 in this race and yet again inside into T1 worked for me.

But before all that, I felt really sorry for Chris Down who had an unfortunate accident in the middle of the race right in front of me (he just left the pits on that lap). You were clearly on the way to win this, Chris.

After exiting the pits and then getting my position back and I could see @SOLO59 running ahead in P4 as he apparently didn't stop yet (on soft tires!), but he simply let me through when I reached him. The guy in P3 was some 17 or so seconds ahead, so I tried to push as much as I could which led to me clipping the outside grass in the Carousel with the left rear and going off there again. There went my podium hopes, and Brian also went past me, but there were still enough laps left to get that P4 back. That was our final battle in the race and this time I could not get a good enough run on the start straight for a few laps, but eventually made the pass by crossing the lines in the Canada corner. Nearly lost my car a few seconds before that running slightly wide into the grass in the Kink, but managed to save it. There were just a couple of laps left after that, and no more action, so I finished in P4.

Congrats to Patrick for winning this race! But why did you pit the second time? Not enough gas or just for the fun of it?

My race setup is attached. I had to really work around overheating left rear tire. Ended up with +5 psi and half degree more negative camber on that wheel. That kept it at 89-91 after the Kink, while normally it would heat up to 96-99 and become a huge problem in the next corners.

Thanks @Chris Down for organizing this race, I hope your last event as a staff member will play out much better for you. See you the next weekend!

I was really tired going in to the race, and I opted for what I thought was a safe amount - 95 litres, instead of calculating the fuel. It was only upon leaving the pits and looking @ the remaining time for the race, that I realised that there was a distinct possibility that I was going to run out of juice. At this point I was really annoyed with myself, because I'd clawed Chris back to 0.9 seconds (coming off the last corner) prior to the pit stop.

After the pit stop Chris seemed to be making light work of the traffic & the gap between us started to grow again. That is, until Chris had a crash with the Nissan around the Carousel (lap 16?). I was gutted. Nobody wants to win a race relying on their main opponents to crash - as happened with yourself & Chris.

With 13 minutes to go in the race, Crew-Chief informed me that I had 10 minutes of fuel left. So off I went to the pits for a second time, thinking an extra 8 litres would suffice. Again, after leaving the pits I had an uneasy feeling that I hadn't added enough - I crossed the line with 1 litre to spare :laugh:.

With an unplanned pit stop & detour on lap 25, Aki had closed the gap to a couple seconds and I had a very nervous last few laps. I finished first, but it didn't feel like a win.

I was really tired going in to the race, and I opted for what I thought was a safe amount - 95 litres, instead of calculating the fuel. It was only upon leaving the pits and looking @ the remaining time for the race, that I realised that there was a distinct possibility that I was going to run out of juice. At this point I was really annoyed with myself, because I'd clawed Chris back to 0.9 seconds (coming off the last corner) prior to the pit stop.

After the pit stop Chris seemed to be making light work of the traffic & the gap between us started to grow again. That is, until Chris had a crash with the Nissan around the Carousel (lap 16?). I was gutted. Nobody wants to win a race relying on their main opponents to crash - as happened with yourself & Chris.

With 13 minutes to go in the race, Crew-Chief informed me that I had 10 minutes of fuel left. So off I went to the pits for a second time, thinking an extra 8 litres would suffice. Again, after leaving the pits I had an uneasy feeling that I hadn't added enough - I crossed the line with 1 litre to spare :laugh:.

With an unplanned pit stop & detour on lap 25, Aki had closed the gap to a couple seconds and I had a very nervous last few laps. I finished first, but it didn't feel like a win.

These kinds of luck (good, bad or otherwise) happen to everyone, but with such great pace you should be proud, and the more "real" wins will come :)

Last edited:

A win is a win, think of the times you had had your race cut short for umpteen reasons that were not of your making.

I needed suicide sid to win a GT3 race, unfortunately, Andreas had paid him more.:unsure: ;)

Last edited:
Well, it shows you steering the same way in the replay too, so I guess there's 1:1 match with the virtual wheel. My point was that you needed to steer less, not more. The amount of steering needed could be somewhat setup-dependent, but even with a rather safe default setup you don't need to turn the wheel that much. You can clearly hear the fronts scrubbing away the speed. And the induced understeer forces you to lift off where otherwise you might not have to. I see that you could not take the Kink flatout on fresh tires in quali while that feat should be doable in the Audi even on worn tires in the race.

The only times I might do that kind of steering is when I really need to warm the front tires before starting a flying lap in quali because in some track/weather combos fronts just don't heat up enough when driving normally. But that's only good when I can throw away the lap I'm doing it on because it comes with a big time loss.

You probably got used to steer that way and it might be very hard for you to avoid doing it, but if you invest some time into re-learning this you should eventually see your lap times getting better (after they get worse initially). AC gives a very nice feeling of the limit when you rotate the wheel. The force you feel goes up and up until you turn it too much and after this point it decreases because the fronts tires basically start sliding and give less resistance to turning them.

A win is a win, think of the times you had had your race cut short for umpteen reasons that were not of your making.

I needed suicide sid to win a GT3 race, unfortunately, Andreas had paid him more.:unsure:
In my defense I have to add that I not only got hit by him, I also had one PC freeze while leading which made me go straight into the barriers losing lots of places :D

what a strange race that one was

Last edited:
Bumped into @SOLO59 at T1 (sorry, glad you could go on) and when exiting the Carousel for the first time

No worries... Like you said, I was able to keep going. Racing incident in a tight pack nothing more:)

Well, it shows you steering the same way in the replay too, so I guess there's 1:1 match with the virtual wheel. My point was that you needed to steer less, not more. The amount of steering needed could be somewhat setup-dependent, but even with a rather safe default setup you don't need to turn the wheel that much. You can clearly hear the fronts scrubbing away the speed. And the induced understeer forces you to lift off where otherwise you might not have to. I see that you could not take the Kink flatout on fresh tires in quali while that feat should be doable in the Audi even on worn tires in the race.

The only times I might do that kind of steering is when I really need to warm the front tires before starting a flying lap in quali because in some track/weather combos fronts just don't heat up enough when driving normally. But that's only good when I can throw away the lap I'm doing it on because it comes with a big time loss.

You probably got used to steer that way and it might be very hard for you to avoid doing it, but if you invest some time into re-learning this you should eventually see your lap times getting better (after they get worse initially). AC gives a very nice feeling of the limit when you rotate the wheel. The force you feel goes up and up until you turn it too much and after this point it decreases because the fronts tires basically start sliding and give less resistance to turning them.

Thank you for your helpful input. Its so weird to me. Couple weeks ago in RF2 GT3 Club Race at Road Atlanta also in the Audi, out of 28 drivers I qualified 4th and was the only four drivers in the 1:17's... I was able to set the steering lock to 450 and a world of difference. Using the stock steering lock I couldn't come close to that lap time because the car won't turn in like how I expect it should.

But in AC, I'll try your advice and start with stock setup and try adjusting my driving. Maybe I need to go slower into the corners. But honestly, rn I have zero confidence driving like that won't get me near the AI's worse lap times lol. But I'll try it out today.

Just a little comment about this:
I'm not sure if the real gt3 Audi has a variable steering lock. Not sure about gt3 regulations..

But AC has the real life steering ratios etc in the car models and when you're using 900/900 game and wheel, ac will automatically adjust the steering ratio and lock to the real life values.

My approach to "weird" cars was always "well it's like that in real life so I'm better get used to it!".

Anyway if you want to adjust it, you can do so in a few different ways:
1. Lower ac degrees and tm degrees to the same value. As soon as you go below the real life value, the car will become" more twitchy".
In example real life being 600 degrees, you setting 500 degrees = 600 degrees compressed into 500 degrees.
This way the virtual wheel will automatically be still 1:1 turning.

2. Set ac and tm to different values.
AC to 700, tm to 500 = 700 compressed into 500.
Virtual wheel won't be 1:1 anymore.
Luckily you can set the virtual wheel turning limit manually. Yet it to 500 and it will be 1:1 again

3. You can also make the car less twitchy with 2.:
Ac to 500, tm to 700 = 500 de-compressed into 700.
Adjust the virtual wheel limit to 700 and it should be 1:1 again.

Thank you Rasmus! If changing my driving style doesn't work I'll give this a try. Not gonna lie, its a little confusing lol... But I think I get it sort of

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back