AC GT3 @ Road Alanta 03 March 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
You say that, but its quite slidy on the default setup. I think my setup is fairly easy to drive, but that took a lot of work. If you've got content manager for AC, you can click the link in the description and try it if you'd like. :)

Thats amazing. I will do just that thank you. I was only joking about it being easier by the way!

Here's my qualifying lap for anyone interested. Horrendously sloppy lap, and I probably lost a full tenth at the bottom of the hill with that moment, but still kinda proud - PB

As someone who pulled out of the race as I couldn't get anywhere near a decent run on this track and was a danger to everyone around me, thanks for sharing. It's nice to see how it should have been done!

thanks for organising as always @Craig Dunkley .

Wasn't just me then. I normally run my small MiGe at 40% for FFB and by half way my wrists were killing me. I'm thinking I could run low 20's and just claw back towards the front and that plan was going well. By the time I got around to my first pit stops I had major wrist pain and forearm twinge. I dropped my pace by about a second a lap just trying to get to the end. It's the first half of track trying to wrestle the car down the esses that killed me the most I think.
Yeah, that section reminds me the Nords after Eiskurve (also mostly WOT and wrestling the car to avoid hitting them curbs), but the latter is just a small part of that track soon followed by a humongous straight you can take a good nap on and here it was a good quarter of the track, so just one minute later you're getting there again.
Probably should've practiced more during the week and skipped the one on the race day to keep myself from getting worn out

LAds this is off topic, but thought Id ask here as we are all using Assetto Corsa. I have 1080p triples and a Gigabyte 1080 G1 gaming.

I am trying to get my monitors setup so that I can get around 60fps solid or better again 75fps. I can get those no issue in single player but when the other 20 cars join for race I am averaging 50.

What settings do others with similar hardware use for racing?

Shame I couldn't find the NOS button to catch @Celtic Pharaoh last night, but awesome race regardless. Had a good battle with a couple of drivers (sorry I can't remember who it was) so thanks for that and thanks for keeping it clean!

Here's my qualifying lap for anyone interested. Horrendously sloppy lap, and I probably lost a full tenth at the bottom of the hill with that moment, but still kinda proud - PB

Thank you so much for this video! It confirmed what I suspected all along: I wasn't able to carry as much speed as I should have through the corners. Sector 1 was by far my slowest sector (about 1.5 off pace) and now I see why...for example, at Turn 1 my car (I drove the Ferrari 488) would just slide straight off track if I took it at those speeds no matter how smooth I was with braking and turn in...looks like around 185-190 kph at T1 apex in your video...I could barely keep it on track at around 170. I took the same lines you did, including the same curbs and runoffs.

I think I have fairly smooth technique (not perfect by any means), so I keep wondering if it was the setup or maybe the car and I weren't in sync. I'm bad at setups, and didn't have time to really attempt one anyways; the only things I changed were tyre pressure and final gear ratio. The best I could manage was a mid 1:22. I tried the Z4 later that night (which I've never driven before) and managed to hit mid 1:21's pretty quickly and consistently.

If you ever have time, can you record a lap with the 488 for reference?

Thank you so much for this video! It confirmed what I suspected all along: I wasn't able to carry as much speed as I should have through the corners. Sector 1 was by far my slowest sector (about 1.5 off pace) and now I see why...for example, at Turn 1 my car (I drove the Ferrari 488) would just slide straight off track if I took it at those speeds no matter how smooth I was with braking and turn in...looks like around 185-190 kph at T1 apex in your video...I could barely keep it on track at around 170. I took the same lines you did, including the same curbs and runoffs.

I think I have fairly smooth technique (not perfect by any means), so I keep wondering if it was the setup or maybe the car and I weren't in sync. I'm bad at setups, and didn't have time to really attempt one anyways; the only things I changed were tyre pressure and final gear ratio. The best I could manage was a mid 1:22. I tried the Z4 later that night (which I've never driven before) and managed to hit mid 1:21's pretty quickly and consistently.

If you ever have time, can you record a lap with the 488 for reference?

Yeah I could do some laps in some other cars at some point, but I mainly just drive the AMG in GT3 races.

The 488 in my experience has quite a lot of oversteer on the default setup - If I recall correctly it has quite a lot of rake and quite stiff rear suspension, so that might be a place to start if that is the case.

I will say that Road Atlanta is one of the more challenging circuits for beginners in GT3 cars. I did a race there with some friends earlier in the week (they're all very new to sim racing) and they struggled massively to begin with, especially with the first sector. My only advice is be gentle with the steering, very smooth with braking, try and *lightly* trail brake into T1 and straighten the braking into T3 and T6 rather than braking around a corner. Have a look at my pedal inputs in the video if it helps.

To be honest though, if you're managing to hit 1:21s consistently its probably not your technique that's the issue. Just keep practising! Stick with one car in GT3, learn it over different tracks, and you'll get there. I'm by no means the most experienced (nor quickest) guy in here, let alone in sim racing as a whole (I have about 500hrs in AC and a couple of hundred in other sims), so you probably shouldn't take advice from me :p

LAds this is off topic, but thought Id ask here as we are all using Assetto Corsa. I have 1080p triples and a Gigabyte 1080 G1 gaming.

I am trying to get my monitors setup so that I can get around 60fps solid or better again 75fps. I can get those no issue in single player but when the other 20 cars join for race I am averaging 50.

Couple questions:

• What's your CPU and amount of RAM? Hard to judge the situation with only the GPU.
  • Do you mean it's hard to maintain 60 FPS throughout the race, or is it only during the start of the race or if you or someone else spins out?
  • Do you have a frame limiter turned on while racing?

Regardless, I use 1080p triples as well...I have a slightly stronger setup based on your GPU (i7 8700K CPU and MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X trio and 16 GB DDR4 RAM) and I have the game pretty much maxed out without issue even in 20+ car fields at 5860 x 1080 resolution (FPS felt consistently smooth during the race from start to finish). My previous computer had an old Xeon X5680 and a 980 Ti and I would get occasional slowdown at race start or during violent car behaviour and that was due to mostly smoke generation and reflections being set too high. The CPU was also too slow for the GPU so there was a significant amount of bottleneck going on.

As to the frame limit part, it's a good way to analyze what's pushing your system too hard when you have a FPS goal in mind. Use RTSS if you have it and limit Assetto Corsa to 60 or 75 FPS. Write down your current graphics settings in AC, then turn your graphics settings down fairly low and monitor the GPU and CPU usage as you run 2 or 3 laps in a 20 car field. Both CPU and GPU should not be hitting above 95% usage at this point. Increase your graphics settings slowly...the heaviest hitters tend to be high Anti Aliasing, Smoke Generation, Reflections and Post processing. It just takes a lot of trial and error, but the goal is to keep GPU usage below 90% usage under the heaviest conditions at the FPS you desire.

It's also good to limit your framerate so your GPU isn't pushing at full throttle throughout the game. I found out a couple of years ago how to enable V-sync in game without the lag associated with V-sync...I find it works very well; no screen tearing and no lag (none that I can perceive)...it's a lot to explain how it works and how to setup, but the short answer is limiting your FPS to approximately 59.993 FPS on a 60Hz monitor and turning on V-sync in game.

I have 16gb ddr3 ram and a 3770k overclocked to 4.4ghz. I was getting consistent 50s frames but there was one occasion where there was a massive freeze/skip in the middle of the race. Im running with vsync on as I found a bit of weirdness with freesync and the nvidia card.

Yeah I could do some laps in some other cars at some point, but I mainly just drive the AMG in GT3 races.

The 488 in my experience has quite a lot of oversteer on the default setup - If I recall correctly it has quite a lot of rake and quite stiff rear suspension, so that might be a place to start if that is the case.

I will say that Road Atlanta is one of the more challenging circuits for beginners in GT3 cars. I did a race there with some friends earlier in the week (they're all very new to sim racing) and they struggled massively to begin with, especially with the first sector. My only advice is be gentle with the steering, very smooth with braking, try and *lightly* trail brake into T1 and straighten the braking into T3 and T6 rather than braking around a corner. Have a look at my pedal inputs in the video if it helps.

To be honest though, if you're managing to hit 1:21s consistently its probably not your technique that's the issue. Just keep practising! Stick with one car in GT3, learn it over different tracks, and you'll get there. I'm by no means the most experienced (nor quickest) guy in here, let alone in sim racing as a whole (I have about 500hrs in AC and a couple of hundred in other sims), so you probably shouldn't take advice from me :p

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: I have done a fair bit of practice on Road Atlanta, mostly in RF2...I haven't been sim racing as long as some of the faster guys here, but I have over the past 2 years logged about over 100 hrs in iRacing, 250 hrs in AC and RF2 combined and over 450 hrs in Automobilista alone...so I am practicing every chance I get believe me lol

Your assessment of the 488 matches with my experience yesterday; with no suspension changes it seems to either understeer a bit on turn-in when gentle, or the back end bites you if you get a little more aggressive. Light trail braking was definitely my approach for T1 but the car would sail into the grass at the speeds you're pulling so I'd have to bleed a little more speed to make it through. I have to read more about setting up suspension...thanks again! (and looking forward to that video if possible :D)

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: I have done a fair bit of practice on Road Atlanta, mostly in RF2...I haven't been sim racing as long as some of the faster guys here, but I have over the past 2 years logged about over 100 hrs in iRacing, 250 hrs in AC and RF2 combined and over 450 hrs in Automobilista alone...so I am practicing every chance I get believe me lol

Your assessment of the 488 matches with my experience yesterday; with no suspension changes it seems to either understeer a bit on turn-in when gentle, or the back end bites you if you get a little more aggressive. Light trail braking was definitely my approach for T1 but the car would sail into the grass at the speeds you're pulling so I'd have to bleed a little more speed to make it through. I have to read more about setting up suspension...thanks again! (and looking forward to that video if possible :D)

I've spent a lot of time setting up the AMG, so I tend to take previous tracks' setups and apply them to new ones. I've done loads of work with telemetry and such, so its a good base and easy to adapt because I know the car so well. If you'd put me in the 488 I'd probably be quite near the back - I'm not that naturally quick, just really nerdy with my setups haha

Reactions: BP

This may be of some help,:geek: i used to run curved triple 144hz 1080p monitors with an i5 6600k
and a 980ti, on line ( racedepartment gt3 series ) it was about 110fps at start and would
quite often run 144 hz during the race, after a couple of laps ,which was the frame rate limit.
So it is very possible. picture quality was excellent, relative to the use , ie online racing.
it’s done by knowing which setting give very little quality gain, but a large computer usage.:)

I have 16gb ddr3 ram and a 3770k overclocked to 4.4ghz. I was getting consistent 50s frames but there was one occasion where there was a massive freeze/skip in the middle of the race. Im running with vsync on as I found a bit of weirdness with freesync and the nvidia card.
That's probably on your CPU (and maybe RAM as well). I also have 1080p triple screen setup that is being powered by 3570K @4.4 (with 16GB 2000Mhz DDR3 RAM) and sometimes I have FPS drops when there're many cars around, like on race starts. GPU usage (mine is slightly overclocked 1070) stays well below 100% which indicates that GPU is not the bottleneck here

Used a bottleneck calculator...by no means the definitive word on this, but it claims your CPU might be too weak for your GPU, which is when one device causes 10% or more of a bottleneck. These were at stock speeds, I compensated for overclocked based on the info you gave me and it fell just under the 10% (9.4%)...but it may mean your CPU might hold you back slightly. However, as @Kek700 pointed out, you gotta figure out which settings give the most gains visually with the least amount of CPU/GPU usage.

If your CPU threads are floored at 98 - 100% and the GPU isn't at least around 80% then yea it's most likely the CPU.

I've spent a lot of time setting up the AMG, so I tend to take previous tracks' setups and apply them to new ones. I've done loads of work with telemetry and such, so its a good base and easy to adapt because I know the car so well. If you'd put me in the 488 I'd probably be quite near the back - I'm not that naturally quick, just really nerdy with my setups haha

I'm trying to get to that point with setups too! :roflmao: but yea...practice is crucial, but I need to get my setup game on point as well, unless of course @Celtic Pharaoh comes in and says his qualifying and race pace was all done on a stock setup LOL

Used a bottleneck calculator...by no means the definitive word on this, but it claims your CPU might be too weak for your GPU, which is when one device causes 10% or more of a bottleneck. These were at stock speeds, I compensated for overclocked based on the info you gave me and it fell just under the 10% (9.4%)...but it may mean your CPU might hold you back slightly. However, as @Kek700 pointed out, you gotta figure out which settings give the most gains visually with the least amount of CPU/GPU usage.

If your CPU threads are floored at 98 - 100% and the GPU isn't at least around 80% then yea it's most likely the CPU.
Assetto Corsa is somewhat different compared to typical games. It needs good single-threaded CPU performance because the main thread does too much work. His CPU would be fine for his card and any other game out there. One thing that eats a lot of CPU power in AC is various Python apps, another one is opponent names shown above their cars. Turn everything off and notice a significant FPS boost on the race start. I think there's something odd about rendering text in AC that makes it to be very CPU-hungry

I'm trying to get to that point with setups too! :roflmao: but yea...practice is crucial, but I need to get my setup game on point as well, unless of course @Celtic Pharaoh comes in and says his qualifying and race pace was all done on a stock setup LOL

Unfortunately he would be almost as fast on standard setup,:mad: i am excluding the obvious.
tyre pressures , gearing , areo down force. ( and probably not even that )
I know i am going to get blasted for this.:confused::confused:
Once the above has been sorted, this takes about 10 minutes, the rest of the setup is for small
gains.
i always drive front engine rear wheel drive, from my experience, mid engine cars are usually
difficult at the limit. ( i don’t have any skill levels , none, zero ):redface:
Virtually all my setup is two fold, first make the car fool proof, ( you have to survive 40 laps )
second, set it up to get it into the apex:) third, make it stable under heavy braking into
corners ( sometimes there is a trade off in that for some corners ).
i practice for 10 minutes to get my braking points correct , any more and i get slower.:rolleyes:

Don’t get hung up on setup, that was the first thing that i learnt. The faster i got
( okay that’s not very fast ) the more i could utilize setup , not for performance, but to make
the car work better for me.

Got asked for my setup, and while I did post an earlier version for someone last week, I thought I'd post it here too because why not (it is actually already linked in the video description).

It is by no means perfect - I think there's more work to be done on the dampers, bump stops and perhaps the front suspension, but it felt solid as a rock and I felt comfortable doing lap after lap with apparently 98.89% consistency, so it's probably at least decent.

Attachments

• AMG GT3 Road Atlanta Quali.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 133
Assetto Corsa is somewhat different compared to typical games. It needs good single-threaded CPU performance because the main thread does too much work. His CPU would be fine for his card and any other game out there. One thing that eats a lot of CPU power in AC is various Python apps, another one is opponent names shown above their cars. Turn everything off and notice a significant FPS boost on the race start. I think there's something odd about rendering text in AC that makes it to be very CPU-hungry

I have my overclock applied to all 4 cores is that ok. And also if someone could post screen shots of what their graphical settings are for triple 1080 monitors on a 1080 gpu IN RACE I would be very grateful.

get rid of all post processing, just eye candy not required for online.
goto nvidia inspector for AC, Set it up for triples. you could select adaptive sync., and select
all were necessary to application controlled.

. 8020F8A0-FCF6-4346-A5C2-07BDB983E30D.png8020F8A0-FCF6-4346-A5C2-07BDB983E30D.png6EEE7B48-86DB-4570-A48C-5EA2FC87C58C.png

remove all apps except, real time , sidekick and crewchief . You can have the full array
for practice for a final setup then revert back to minimalist for race.

hope the thumbnails are of some use. ( assuming they have attached )

Attachments

• 6D2217B4-D671-429B-9DA6-020A35EB1EBA.png
    6D2217B4-D671-429B-9DA6-020A35EB1EBA.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 107

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back