Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 GT3 Power Pack Update.jpg

Studio 397 have deployed a first update to the recently released GT3 Power Pack that brings some new features and improved performance in game.

The new update comes just seven days after the very first rFactor 2 paid DLC was released to the public via the Steam network, and impacts all five cars of this latest GT3 themed DLC offering for rFactor 2.

The main focus of the update would around improving the framerate hit when using these cars in comparison to older content, however Studio 397 have managed to sneak in a few nice updates and improvements to the cars alongside this much requested FPS boost.

Notable for the improved damage model that came as part of an update alongside the DLC drop, the developers have put in some further work to refine the sensitivity to contact with other cars and their surroundings, hopefully bringing the reaction of the latest damage model closer to where the studio feels is appropriate in what is a very much improved aspect of the simulation.

Other notable changes include some new animation around backfires for all five cars and other visual tweaks, which can be read in the changelog below:

McLaren 650S GT3 2017 v1.79
  • Reworked tire and rim blur animation.
  • New backfire animation.
  • Fixed spokes sorting in front of debris/smoke.
Bentley Continental GT3 2017 v1.15
  • Adjusted LOD distances for better performance.
  • Damage sensitivity adjusted.
  • Backfire smoke/vapor added.
Callaway C7 GT3 2017 v1.15
  • New backfire animation.
Mercedes AMG GT3 2017 v1.07
Radical RRXC GT3 v1.09
  • Fixed black artifact appearing in cockpit.
Just in case you missed it earlier, don't forget to check out our interview with @Marcel Offermans of Studio 397 about the DLC, future developments, rain and all things rF2 past and present...

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

rF2 GT3 Power Pack Update 2.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Pleased to see a new update released so soon after the DLC drop? Happy with the changes made? What are your opinions of the DLC so far? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
so what did you do exactly !?!?!??! what files did you remove ?!??!?
Maxxx
...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log\Shaders
Delete all the files inside.

I was wondering why there was no HDR and the whole picture was still washed out, lifeless, as before. I also checked the settings menu and I noticed that in the video settings I didn't set the post effects to Ultra. :mad::laugh:

Last edited:
Minimal. Basically, if you've had to turn down opponent details already, then you won't see any significant change. If you had borderline fps at Full opponent details before the update, then you might see as much as a 10% gain that could turn borderline fps into more stable fps.

If you can tolerate the first lap or two, then you'll find the fps acceptable until the cars bunch up again.

Bummer - thanks!

...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log\Shaders
Delete all the files inside.

I was wondering why there was no HDR and the whole picture was still washed out, lifeless, as before. I also checked the settings menu and I noticed that in the video settings I didn't set the post effects to Ultra. :mad::laugh:

Post effects on ultra is basically for screenshot mode. Medium is enough for driving if you want to maintain decent FPS. Actually the main post effect they use (DoF) is never visible from cockpit view, only from trackside cam. HDR is always on.

Post effects on ultra is basically for screenshot mode. Medium is enough for driving if you want to maintain decent FPS. Actually the main post effect they use (DoF) is never visible from cockpit view, only from trackside cam. HDR is always on.
Could someone please list the exact specs of LOW vs MEDIUM settings?

The only visible difference I can make out is that LOW setting lacks the DoF feature in replays while MEDIUM setting shows a slim DoF effect.

The difference in frame rate for me between LOW and MEDIUM is substantial.

Also is there any tips on improving frame rate beyond the in-game menu settings?
I would like to tweak some distance related details (I hate the objects popping out of the rear view mirrors for example).

I remember from GTR2 times that there could be made substantial refinements in detail in some ini files.
Any guidelines for this here?

Btw - a longer setup session with just the AMG GT3 at Silverstone was quite interesting - the car handles beautifully and reacts to setup changes as one would expect.
I am looking now to install the MoTeC plugin and get serious about rF2 with the GT3 cars.

I really like what I feel with he FFB and the general car handling.

Also: is there any way to improve the road textures? Compared to other current sims the rF2 road surface looks just all grey in grey lacking detail.

Also make sure to switch to beta build 1109 in Steam, for me it was still set to build 1108 which didn’t have the new damage
Yes, I'd already done that which looked at bit more real, but hardly realistic which I'd actually expected. Even with rF1 the hood vanishes or the fenders get heavily dented, but that's not the case here. Shame.

Please report on the degree of improvement after the update!
Not sure whether you are still interested in this info...my PC specs Win 7 + GTX690 Graphics Card with Triple Screen set up 5760 x 1080 res
Track - Toban Long Reverse.....Car I'm driving - Callaway (Cockpit View / No Wheel / Arms).....AI Opponents - 11 from the rF2 GT3 Pack
rF2 Display settings....
Circuit detail -FULL....Player Detail - HIGH....Opponent Detail - HIGH...Texture Detail - FULL...Texture Filter - 2x...Special Effects - FULL...Shadows - HIGH...Shadow Blur - OFF...Soft Particales - LOW...Rain Drops - OFF...Road reflections - OFF...Environment Reflect - LOW
FPS on Start Grid = 38 approx
FPS In Traffic while racing = 45 - 60 approx
(depending on where I am in the Track)
FPS by Myself, AI half track ahead = 68 - 70 approx
I am more than happy with this result.:D

I can get 2 extra FPS across the board if I reduce Display Settings that are on 'FULL' to 'HIGH'

To me, on my system with these settings in game this is a big improvement, as before with the above settings on Toban Long Reverse... Start Grid FPS = 13, In Traffic about 20 - 28, By Myself about 35. with the rF2 GT3 Pack...BUT 5 -10 FPS more with other cars like the Enduracers Mod.

Last edited:
Yes, I'd already done that which looked at bit more real, but hardly realistic which I'd actually expected. Even with rF1 the hood vanishes or the fenders get heavily dented, but that's not the case here. Shame.

The new damage is visual damage to the shader, which creates an impression of scratches and dents. There is no support for denting as in true vertex based damage in rF2, that was one feature that was removed from rF1 to rF2, probably for performance reasons.

I'll stick with the GT3 mods I already have. They have proper damage with wheels coming off, bodywork flying off etc. And to be honest I quite like them, they drive good enough for me. I feel the DLC is relatively expensive at the moment as it's nearly half the price of what I paid for Pcars 2 that I recently purchased. I'll probably get it in the future if it goes on sale. The great thing about RF2 is the abundance of mods that I am happy with being a mainly AI/Offline simmer these days. Long live mods and modding.

Last edited:
Thought the same thing....he probably wanted to quote me :whistling:
He was so angry he didn't realize :roflmao:

I was angry in a computer game context yes, for the WFG i purchased the McLaren, then fast forword to the GT3 pack and the McLaren is obviously in there, so if i purchase said pack does it remove the McLaren so I don't pay for the same car twice.
It would be a good move by the devs IMO because RF2 has a shed load of free content almost too much to fully enjoy (let alone all the other sims and content i have!) if you have a normal life as well as sim driving, so frankly despite only spending £11.99 to get the game i can pass on this till some sort of discount.
Had they honored me already buying the McLaren i'd i had this pack straight away..
I'm not tight, to prove it i invested in ALL RRE content!! and have been buying cars and tracks on iRacing...
but i draw the line at simply paying for stuff twice when its not needed and is an error by devs or at worst a naughty way to rip people off.

So sorry if that makes me a ****.

I'll stick with the GT3 mods I already have. They have proper damage with wheels coming off, bodywork flying off etc. And to be honest I quite like them, they drive good enough for me. I feel the DLC is relatively expensive at the moment as it's nearly half the price of Pcars 2 that I recently purchased. I'll probably get it in the future if it goes on sale. The great thing about RF2 is the abundance of mods that I am happy with being a mainly AI/Offline simmer these days. Long live mods and modding.

Totally agree, i got AMS / beta plus season pass for £17 all in, so in that context a little thing like being charged twice for same car its very easy to think "you know what screw you". Even Turn 10 don't do this (unless you count buying same cars in 'new' game etc)

I do not understand the issue here, both the single 650s car and the GT3 pack are priced and sold independent of each other. You had a choice of each, you chose option 1 albeit you now want option 2 but think you should not be liable for the cost of a prior purchase?!? But yes Turn 10 FH3, RRE also do this; next time I suggest you are clear with your intentions ergo hold off purchasing if the issue here was purchasing the unknown and waiting to see what the other 4 cars were.
Your other option is to contact Steam and inquire if they will refund you!
UK Pricing
1) http://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/365960/detail/1/
2) http://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/365960/detail/1001/

The new damage is visual damage to the shader, which creates an impression of scratches and dents. There is no support for denting as in true vertex based damage in rF2, that was one feature that was removed from rF1 to rF2, probably for performance reasons.
Then these next gen sims aren't next gen enough. I assume that with modern computer techniques it should be possible to do that. The latest sims do all lack in that area. Maybe it's a too heavy load on the graphical side.

Do any of the core game improvements (shaders, lighting, damage, etc...) come along without purchasing the DLC packs?
As one of the guys who paid full initial price for the sim, plus three years of on-line renewals...then the price difference to convert to lifetime membership, I have barely gotten any use of the software.
I have not touched RF2 in months...occasionally taking a car out to see if the software still functions.
I've never been able to properly run it in multi-player, but continued support of ISI's renewals...hoping they'd get it sorted eventually.
Since it's initial release, I've done less than ten races on-line...and that's not for lack of trying.
Initially it was a content download issue wherein every time I tried to join an on-line race, it'd sit there slowly downloading components...then timeout while reporting I could not join due to missing content.
Now it's reporting a 'bad file descriptor' error on the few times I've even remotely tried to join a session.
While I commend 397 for picking up the ball and running with it, until it come with a decent fix to my issues and a good multi-player, I will not invest any more time or money in RF2.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back