AC GT3 @ Okayama - Sun 20 Jan 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
You race in real life? man, I should be asking tips from you, not giving them :D

No mate I don't, raced karts for while when i was younger but then just did track days in road cars, specific track cars, and then CUP race car (Mostly Honda or Lotus) I may do the Radical SR1 championship, plan on getting one next year and doing track days in it for a year to get to grips with the way it drives, it was mega at Silverstone when I drove an SR3 RSX 3 months ago with Radical.

Getting into Sim Racing has been mega cool, but I haven't spent time setting the cars up much, just minor then driving, but now I will sort myself out.

Its a pretty cool and helpful community :)

Last edited:
it was mega at Silverstone when I drove an SR3 RSX 3 months ago with Radical.

Was this an arrive and drive you did? Can you share the link? I'm going to try and hit up Silverstone and Brands this summer but rather do a track rental vs try to track ready one of my cars.

No mate I don't, raced karts for while when i was younger but then just did track days in road cars, specific track cars, and then CUP race car (Mostly Honda or Lotus) I may do the Radical SR1 championship, plan on getting one next year and doing track days in it for a year to get to grips with the way it drives, it was mega at Silverstone when I drove an SR3 RSX 3 months ago with Radical.

It sounds like you do! Well it sure qualifies as racing more than I do with my 105hp yeti!

Well I have kinda excepted that I will never be able to do much better, because of my disability and age, but it sure is a lot of fun in trying and I just love sim racing in general.

I don't know what you are on about mate! Age is in the mind! work HARDER

Was this an arrive and drive you did? Can you share the link? I'm going to try and hit up Silverstone and Brands this summer but rather do a track rental vs try to track ready one of my cars.

It was motorsport live event at which radical were attending and as i had spoken to them about a purchase they invited me down for a drive. I took my Porsche on track after the Radical and it felt slow a f*ck. Radical hire is so expensive, but bookatrack.com hire out Caterham's which are a lot of fun.

Palmersport day also looks good.

I'm doing a Car Limits day in May, rather than a track day, all about getting the most out of our car. If you can get a group of 4 people/cars its £250 ish each for the day which isn't bad. https://carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining

I took my brothers pretty much standard Honda Civic Type R EK9 (Semi Slicks, Eibach Springs, Yellow Stuff pads, Motul600) and actually had more fun than when I took my EK9 Cup car there. If you're car is standard just take it as is and have some fun before getting loads of bits for it. (Brake fluid and Pads swap out maybe though)

And yet i get my arse handed to me in Sim Racing lol.......oh the joys haha.

You know, I suppose something must not translate the otherway around! Only one of them must be physically accurate and I'm betting on real life :D

Edit: I was reminded by some latent thought that verstappen and lando and many others succeed in Sim racing as well. So I suppose you also just have to WORK HARDER!

It was motorsport live event at which radical were attending and as i had spoken to them about a purchase they invited me down for a drive. I took my Porsche on track after the Radical and it felt slow a f*ck. Radical hire is so expensive, but bookatrack.com hire out Caterham's which are a lot of fun.

Palmersport day also looks good.

I'm doing a Car Limits day in May, rather than a track day, all about getting the most out of our car. If you can get a group of 4 people/cars its £250 ish each for the day which isn't bad. https://carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining

I took my brothers pretty much standard Honda Civic Type R EK9 (Semi Slicks, Eibach Springs, Yellow Stuff pads, Motul600) and actually had more fun than when I took my EK9 Cup car there. If you're car is standard just take it as is and have some fun before getting loads of bits for it. (Brake fluid and Pads swap out maybe though)

I brought a few sets of Cup 2's and pads when i moved here from the US. I need to find a decent shop that can set my alignment, brake fluid flush and just someone I can trust. My shop in the US, the main guy raced also and they were famous for working on Vette's across the country so my confidence in them was high. Here, no clue.

I brought a few sets of Cup 2's and pads when i moved here from the US. I need to find a decent shop that can set my alignment, brake fluid flush and just someone I can trust. My shop in the US, the main guy raced also and they were famous for working on Vette's across the country so my confidence in them was high. Here, no clue.

What car you do run @RobertR1?

1. As Craig said, and I also use the "live timing" app which shows drivers in front and behind

2. If you wanna go further back than the headrest then your fov setting it too low. You can't combine a very low fov to be "realistic" but then move the seat further back than it would be realistic.
That's why I don't like nor use "realistic fov" since it's not realistic either to sit in a real car and lock your view to a 27" screen in the front window. Imo our human brains are quite good at looking at a photo (projection) of something and imagine the real sizes.

Long story short, a fov of about 44-55 will be pretty similar to standard camera photos. Reasonable compromise between distorted proportions and getting the important things in the picture.

Another approach: "reset" the seating position to default and then adjust the fov until it "looks good and realistic" for you. Your brain and eyes will feel well then :)

Yeah I used an online FOV calculator tool and it decided I needed 31 FOV. Will try what you say and see what it feels like. Thanks for all the advice.

Yeah I used an online FOV calculator tool and it decided I needed 31 FOV. Will try what you say and see what it feels like. Thanks for all the advice.

@RasmusP is right on the money about FOV. The calculator can be useless. We need more visual information and sometimes the recommended FOV will not give it.

This is what happened to me, when comparing the FOV I was comfortable with the 27" and the 55", compared to the recommended FOV on both.

ivUEEME.png

So, I can only conclude that the recommended FOV is pointless to me with the 27". It only becomes effective with my 55" TV. And now I know why. The 27" @ 54º and 55" @ 56º have the same visual information as you can see above. Identical.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back