AC GT3 @ Okayama - Sun 19th Jan 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I've made a few changes to my PC and I'd like to test it out. Can I join the race, and I'll stay out of everyones way - there is a good chance that I won't get through the practice. If that happens I promise not to discuss my PC woes.

If yes, can I have the SCG - doesn't really matter if I can't.

Edit: As bad as ever. Thanks for letting me try.

Last edited:
nice races. 6 drivers were in less than 0.6s after quali :confused: :confused: Could you imagine the battles with a full grid?:(

@HF2000 I had like 1 hour to make a setup. I changed some things (front arb, back wheel rate, aero to 4). What did you use?

also, this looked like a push-off for me, when I was in the race: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VaeQw1saJEP95wOzm5i2R9BnJ38QXWVz Now that I saw the reply, I don't know, I was not really in parallel with the other car, but I also had to take evasive maneuver.
p.s. I don't want the other driver penalized or something. I just want to know to want you (all of you) will do in this situation. I feel like sometimes, especially at the start, I give positions too easy, staying too far out while watching the car radar. Should I have been more aggressive here and take the corner at speed?

Thanks @JoelK for hosting and flipping the format. That's a really fun way to do sprint races!

@Raresch That's not a corner to fight in. It only has 1 line and he has no reason to give it up. The line he was on, you'd be better off slowing early, getting a big drive and having a pick into or out of the hair pin. On that track, there's only a couple of real passing zones unless someone make a mistake. He didn't.

Last edited:
nice races. 6 drivers were in less than 0.6s after quali :confused: :confused: Could you imagine the battles with a full grid?:(

@HF2000 I had like 1 hour to make a setup. I changed some things (front arb, back wheel rate, aero to 4). What did you use?

also, this looked like a push-off for me, when I was in the race: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VaeQw1saJEP95wOzm5i2R9BnJ38QXWVz Now that I saw the reply, I don't know, I was not really in parallel with the other car, but I also had to take evasive maneuver.
p.s. I don't want the other driver penalized or something. I just want to know to want you (all of you) will do in this situation. I feel like sometimes, especially at the start, I give positions too easy, staying too far out while watching the car radar. Should I have been more aggressive here and take the corner at speed?
Hi Raresch, first: I was the other car and I would like the opinion of the others too. Crewchief said clear right but maybe that was a bit earlier. That corner is very tricky and without VR it hard to have good awareness. Anyhow I thought the overtake was succesful and I didn't expect you there. So I apologize if the conclusion is that I was not racing correctly there.
And for setup: I changed the ARB front and front wheel rate and height. I didn't change the aero but seeing you being faster at the straights I should have tried that although not to 4 maybe.

Last edited:
Thanks Joel for this race. As Raresch said there were 6 drivers with similar race pace but with different cars and setup which made it intens and combined with the reverse grid very educational for me. In the first race I had to defend almost the entire race against @Stefan Weber until he disappeared out of my mirror (what happened Stefan?). Second race I was attacking constantly, first on Raresch and later on Jussi. I had great fun and learned a lot. I'm a big fan of this format with reverse grid!

Apologies Joel and guys. My wife happened to let my doggies into my study and one of them jumped up on my lap in front of my wheel and the other got between my legs and pedals. Game over! Again, sorry.
Too bad for you, Ken. Are you sure that it wasn't deliberate for getting more attention?
And I'd like to say that I find it brave of you to take the 911 on this track! It was Okayama that made me switch to the 650s.

@JoelK Thanks for tonight's race fella, wish there had been more sign ups for you, such a great track/car combo.

Huge congrats to the podium guys, awesome lap times 'n consistency from @RobertR1 Robert @JoelK Joel and @Stefan Weber and as @Raresch says, really close times in the rest of the field.

Re your question @Raresch about Han, I watched the reply in slo-mo from both perspectives, and sorry my friend - imo 1st and most importantly, there was no contact, Han left you a cars width when he could have gone for the full entry line... he was in front. As Robert says, there are places to plan your attack or defense - often planned a lap or two in advance. But isn't this the great thing about progress and these club races? - your speed is awesome compared to a very short time ago!

Quiet night for me and afraid to say would have quit if there'd have been a healthy grid - I could do the lap times occasionally for an 'ok' race but was erratic due to a bad arthritis night, hands were ripping in the hairpins:laugh: Time to up the meds:sneaky:

Thanks Joel for this race. As Raresch said there were 6 drivers with similar race pace but with different cars and setup which made it intens and combined with the reverse grid very educational for me. In the first race I had to defend almost the entire race against @Stefan Weber until he disappeared out of my mirror (what happened Stefan?). Second race I was attacking constantly, first on Raresch and later on Jussi. I had great fun and learned a lot. I'm a big fan of this format with reverse grid!
@HF2000 It was an exciting battle behind you. for almost the whole race :D. I had the feeling I could pass you, but your exit speed on each corner was superior to mine. Eventually, I slipped on the left hairpin exit and that was it for me.
Second race was quite good though and very consistant on my side, which surprised me a bit since I had my troubles getting the 650s stable

@HF2000 It was an exciting battle behind you. for almost the whole race :D. I had the feeling I could pass you, but your exit speed on each corner was superior to mine. Eventually, I slipped on the left hairpin exit and that was it for me.
Second race was quite good though and very consistant on my side, which surprised me a bit since I had my troubles getting the 650s stable

you were driving really well in the 2nd race and good clean side by side action which makes it easy to trust the driver in the future.

not sure if it’s the 650 or the track but I think this track is only one I know where there isn’t a single corner you can attack. Just have to be so patient here. Any aggression seems to cost time!

@Raresch

Good advice from John, watch how he races, you can see him thinking about his strategy as he drives, does not always come off, but that is part of the enjoyment of the whole racing thing.:thumbsup:

I know what you mean, the first corner is a state of mind, to survive you have to be a 100% committed and be prepared to deal with the consequences, if not it is a disaster waiting to happen. So personally I take the view, that is I am far more concerned about hitting other drivers than one or two places gained.
And what is the logic behind me wizzing down the outside overtaking everyone, only to now have 5 or 6 faster drivers on my tail.
It is only the first 10 seconds of a race, with perhaps another 60 minutes left.
Very rarely does loosing three or four places in the first corner effect my race, to the contrary it leaves me some space to avoid the ensuing mess that usually occurs.
Have you not noticed, heated battles in the first 5 or 6 laps often lead to disaster, especially with other battles going on close by.
If I had the pace of Joel, and either needed to be in front of or at least a close second then I would have a different attitude. But then I would only have one or two drivers to worry about, not a whole pack?
Also the front drivers have just that bit more skill and the commitment to make judging their limit a more obvious.
Be patient let the race unfold around you, the race will give you all the hints you need, look at other people’s pace, see were they are slow compared to you, don’t impatiently overtake faster or same pace drivers as you, unless they have an off, it’s quite amazing that driver are so much quicker when on your tail, compared to a gap of 5 or 6 seconds.

Bit of a lecture, thought it may be of use to you as you definitely now have the pace.

The other reality is that unless to are in the front fast pack of cars in a full field you are going to loose a bucket load of time, I have seen sometimes 60 seconds go in the first two laps for various reasons to the front runners, it is just some thing you have to live with, and that is with me having no incidents.
Think about that, it means I have to be 2 seconds of a lap faster than the leaders to stand any chance of catching them, just not going to happen. Ironically it is usually the whole race time that is your friend, use it wisely.

So why all the rush for the first corner????:)

Last edited:
@Raresch

Good advice from John, watch how he races, you can see him thinking about his strategy as he drives, does not always come off, but that is part of the enjoyment of the whole racing thing.:thumbsup:

I know what you mean, the first corner is a state of mind, to survive you have to be a 100% committed and be prepared to deal with the consequences, if not it is a disaster waiting to happen. So personally I take the view, that is I am far more concerned about hitting other drivers than one or two places gained.
And what is the logic behind me wizzing down the outside overtaking everyone, only to now have 5 or 6 faster drivers on my tail.
It is only the first 10 seconds of a race, with perhaps another 60 minutes left.
Very rarely does loosing three or four places in the first corner effect my race, to the contrary it leaves me some space to avoid the ensuing mess that usually occurs.
Have you not noticed, heated battles in the first 5 or 6 laps often lead to disaster, especially with other battles going on close by.
If I had the pace of Joel, and either needed to be in front of or at least a close second then I would have a different attitude. But then I would only have one or two drivers to worry about, not a whole pack?
Also the front drivers have just that bit more skill and the commitment to make judging their limit a more obvious.
Be patient let the race unfold around you, the race will give you all the hints you need, look at other people’s pace, see were they are slow compared to you, don’t impatiently overtake faster or same pace drivers as you, unless they have an off, it’s quite amazing that driver are so much quicker when on your tail, compared to a gap of 5 or 6 seconds.

Bit of a lecture, thought it may be of use to you as you definitely now have the pace.

The other reality is that unless to are in the front fast pack of cars in a full field you are going to loose a bucket load of time, I have seen sometimes 60 seconds go in the first two laps for various reasons to the front runners, it is just some thing you have to live with, and that is with me having no incidents.
Think about that, it means I have to be 2 seconds of a lap faster than the leaders to stand any chance of catching them, just not going to happen. Ironically it is usually the whole race time that is your friend, use it wisely.

So why all the rush for the first corner????:)
The replay with Han was not in the first corner. it was in lap 8, in the second turn.
Well, it's not really a rush for the first corner. I would like to keep my position after the first corner, that's all. But usually I get pushed away by other drivers. I saw that I tend to brake sooner than anyone else and to leave a lot of space, just to be sure. And it's infuriating sometimes, because I saw how I launch faster from most of the grid (not always in the R8 :cautious:). When everybody is just tenth's around your pace, you just can't catch them, especially without pitstops.
I feel like I am faster, than following the car in front, because I have to brake in a different way, to not hit him and it's just harder to keep the speed through corners. Also, less downforce means you brake longer so i'm not used to that yet. I am the fastest (my fastest) when I am alone. :notworthy:

Can't believe I didn't get to drive my 650 this weekend. Seems like the AC GT3 is dying a death sadly so not sure how many more times we will have the opportunity to race them :(
Wondering what the guys who drove the 650 last night for first time tonight of her. I just love that car even though she doesn't love me :cry:

Can't believe I didn't get to drive my 650 this weekend. Seems like the AC GT3 is dying a death sadly so not sure how many more times we will have the opportunity to race them :(
Wondering what the guys who drove the 650 last night for first time tonight of her. I just love that car even though she doesn't love me :cry:
Yes it is a beauty George, 'specially when you fall on a setup where you can really drive it on the edge - it's just the damn setup I can't get right, honest :laugh:

Re the GT3 AC races, it is a thought provoker:coffee: I still think there's plenty of room for them with careful choice of tracks 'n format (due to the low number of tracks in ACC), and we've not lost that many drivers to ACC GT3; of the last 4 events for example, well under 25% of drivers used to be in AC GT3, and some of those stopped racing Sunday's AC events before ACC came along too.

From the 'first flush' of ACC being announced for Sundays (which was a huge, unnecessary slap from Bram imo) grids for Sunday's ACC have gone from nearly 3 servers, down to between 13 to 22 entries (ish, I've not been back through every race:p). I'm not slagging off ACC by any means, it is superb, though for me I don't fancy the huge learning curve learning ACC for such a small number of tracks - being a fickle twat I'd get bored quick:laugh:

Just a thought, maybe we could send @JoelK a list of tracks that are not on ACC that are our fave's on AC, best mod tracks etc? Apologies if I'm being cheeky Joel :whistling:

Sheesh, that was a waffle :p

Last edited:
@Raresch

I find it easy chasing a faster driver, not too difficult following someone of the same performance, like you explained, very difficult following someone slightly slower, or with big variations in some circuit corner speeds to me. ( that's were forward thinking is so useful when you only have limited pace ).

there is no answer.:(

That's why I like to tag onto John, he is invariably always faster than me, so following is very easy for me, trouble is the bugger is so hard to latch onto.:O_o:

Qualifying pace is of no use to me most of the time, it's race pace that I work towards. you may only be a 10th apart in qualifying, but once on the grid with what basically is a cold car full of fuel, it can be a very different story.

If I had alien pace, most of what I waffle on about would be a lot less applicable.:geek:

These are thoughts of a most of the time struggling midfielder.:rolleyes:

""""""""
I'm not slagging off ACC by any means, it is superb, though for me I don't fancy the huge learning curve learning ACC for such a small number of tracks - being a fickle twat I'd get bored quick:laugh:

"""""""""

perfectly put john.:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back