AC GT3 @ Nürburgring GP - Sunday 27th September 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That was a funny race. Under severe pressure at the start from Patrick until he made a mistake. Then it was pretty lonely for about 15 laps. Then at the end I was right up behind Erik for the last 5 laps or so. Intense, that lambo pulls well on exit! Great to see someone using it so well.
And to Pat Eaton, great job at the end when Erik and I came up on you so quick. You held your line perfect otherwise it would have been carnage.

Thanks all for taking part tonight and John for stepping in to make sure we had a race. Cheers.

I managed to claw back the lead that you had between us down to .3 of a second by lap 14. Unfortunately, I made a small mistake @ T10 in my feeble attempt to hustle you & I lost about a second. Instead of writing the mistake off, I committed the cardinal sin of trying to make up for the lost time through the chicane. After spinning the car, I guessed that my tires would be glowing red & with Miika -'Godzilla' catching me up, I panicked & went for an early pitstop. The impromptu pitstop was another mistake because it brought me out behind Jens, who was on medium tyres & I really struggled to get past him - the speed/pace difference @ the chicane was scary :confused:. Unfortunately for Jens, he lost control of his car at the chicane on lap 17-18 - after leaving space for me & entering the chicane @ a tight angle. I did feel a bit guilty :redface:. After that it was about trying to keep a safe distance from Miika & not taking any unnecessary risks.

Congrats to the podium & finishers. Thanks for putting the race on Chris & to John for stepping in for Chris so that the race could go ahead.

Last edited:
Yeah not easy to get past Jens. Been there done that! It was a pity alright, you were quicker than me through some bits and visa versa in others.

Was a great race though. Im might try a 60min VR race next week. Did 2 x 25s last week without getting ill so thats good :thumbsup:

How did the VR hold up for you Pat?

Last edited:
Yeah not easy to get past Jens. Been there done that! It was a pity alright, you were quicker than me through some bits and visa versa in others.

Was a great race though. Im might try a 60min VR race next week. Did 2 x 25s last week without getting ill so thats good :thumbsup:

How did the VR hold up for you Pat?

I'm sure that you will be fine with 60mins :sneaky: :laugh:. Can you let me know if you plan on racing this Sunday in VR. I might have (most certainly will...:whistling:) a favour to ask - do you use Afterburner or own fpsvr?

I'm still testing & it's far from ideal, but setting the Odyssey to 60fps seems to be working. For instance, on Wednesday (Kyalami), with my VR headset @ 90fps (16 drivers), I was getting in the first race:
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 8.3 ms
99th percentile: 14.2 ms
99.9th percentile: 16 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 91.3%
CPU frametime:
Median: 3.6 ms
99th percentile: 8.3 ms
99.9th percentile: 9.6 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 100%
Not unplayable, but it is indicative of the what happens to the frame times with an increase in the grid size.

In the second race, with the Odyssey set @ 60fps (14 drivers).
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 8.2 ms
99th percentile: 14.2 ms
99.9th percentile: 15.6 ms
frametime <16.7ms(vsync): 100%
CPU frametime:
Median: 4 ms
99th percentile: 7.7 ms
99.9th percentile: 8.9 ms

I wasn't sure of the impact of having two less drivers had on the results, so I did another online test with 36 drivers (lemans) on the grid & the Odyssey set at 60fps:
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 10.6 ms
99th percentile: 18.3 ms
99.9th percentile: 21.3 ms
frametime <16.7ms(vsync): 98.1%
CPU frametime:
Median: 4.6 ms
99th percentile: 10.7 ms
99.9th percentile: 13 ms

I did another online race tonight with 18 drivers - Spa - (VR headset @ 60fps) & got this:
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 8.3 ms
99th percentile: 11.3 ms
99.9th percentile: 12.5 ms
CPU frametime:
Median: 3.3 ms
99th percentile: 5.4 ms
99.9th percentile: 6.4 ms

If you (as we have a similar spec. system & use Odyssey) or anyone else (i.e., Ernie) want to have a look @ my results they can be found here.

Last edited:
Haha. Im pretty techy but not sure I understand most of that. But yeah I use afterburner.

You on a 2080 with 3700x? And I thought lower frametimes were better.

As above 9600k rtx2080 16Gb 3700Mhz ram, my S Rift running at 80hz gave no
problems at all. Unfortunately I did not own it long enough to do or need to do any comparative checks-:)

I think the Rift S had a resolution of 2560 x 1440, I run wide screen 5120 x 1440p @ 110Hz, so hardly surprising it was not a problem

Last edited:
It was an intens race for me being 4th in a train with 5 cars where @Kek700 was faster and behind me. Of course he was waiting for my usual mistake but this time it didn't happened:). Started 8th but after an incident in the last turn with 3 cars together I was 14th. After some catching up I was in that train for the most part of the first stint and even reached 6th. I overshot my pitstop position which cost me some seconds so @Luca Badin passed me during that. In stint 2 I was slightly gaining on him but not enough to get on his tail before the end of the race. So finished 7th and quite happy with that.

The previous race on LeMans I watched the video with tips for the setup and applied them. These changes eliminated the sudden oversteer of the R8 which in most cases was the cause of me going off track. So for this event I used the setup from the LeMans race and only added a bit more rear wing.
It payed off with a consistency of 99.24% and a lot more confidence during the race.
I hope I can keep this up in the next event and even find some more speed.

I can't tell if the tips in the video will work for other cars/drivers also but when you're struggling with car handling, it's worth a try.

Last edited:
I had no choice really Han, two places for an overtake, the S and first corner main straight. There was so little difference in pace, me being quicker in couple of places and you being quicker in a couple of places.
That meant, a dive bomb in those two places, I had no pressure from behind so I could see no reason to ruin your race, if and it most likely would have too, that sort of overtake is usually a bad idea. I needed enough pace to draw along side, did not have that advantage.:(
I decided to use the pit stop, but spun the car on the entry, at that point I realised today I was not in favour with the driving God’s:(

It was an intens race for me being 4th in a train with 5 cars where @Kek700 was faster and behind me. Of course he was waiting for my usual mistake but this time it didn't happened:). Started 8th but after an incident in the last turn with 3 cars together I was 14th.

Yeah, that train was me stuck behind Jens on mediums, who was insane at defending his position (or maybe I just can't overtake, which is likely). The last turn incident was me overtaking Jens, having a bad exit from the chicane, and then someone thought it would be funny to go 3 wide into the last corner and punted me from the inside (though I suspect it was due to poor connection quality from their end). Didn't lose too much time from that, but I decided not to try anything too forceful again.

I then got back P7 behind Jens courtesy of an overtake and someone spinning, but went wide at Schumacher-S and got overtaken by you and Ernie. By then the undercut was the best option for me to get those positions back, and luckily for me it worked.

I overshot my pitstop position which cost me some seconds so @Luca Badin passed me during that. In stint 2 I was slightly gaining on him but not enough to get on his tail before the end of the race. So finished 7th and quite happy with that.

The last stint was mostly me being all lonely and pissed at losing so much time in the first one, though I wouldn't have had the pace to battle with Miika for P5 anyway. I only woke up once I realised that Han was cutting into my lead by always lapping 0.3-0.5 faster than me, no matter what lap time I set. We sort of settled at a 4 seconds gap and that's how it ended.

Han @HF2000, would you like me to share my setup with you? It was the same I used in the last Nürbs race and it managed to neutralise that pesky oversteer well enough.

Yeah, that train was me stuck behind Jens on mediums, who was insane at defending his position (or maybe I just can't overtake, which is likely). The last turn incident was me overtaking Jens, having a bad exit from the chicane, and then someone thought it would be funny to go 3 wide into the last corner and punted me from the inside (though I suspect it was due to poor connection quality from their end). Didn't lose too much time from that, but I decided not to try anything too forceful again.

I then got back P7 behind Jens courtesy of an overtake and someone spinning, but went wide at Schumacher-S and got overtaken by you and Ernie. By then the undercut was the best option for me to get those positions back, and luckily for me it worked.

The last stint was mostly me being all lonely and pissed at losing so much time in the first one, though I wouldn't have had the pace to battle with Miika for P5 anyway. I only woke up once I realised that Han was cutting into my lead by always lapping 0.3-0.5 faster than me, no matter what lap time I set. We sort of settled at a 4 seconds gap and that's how it ended.

Han @HF2000, would you like me to share my setup with you? It was the same I used in the last Nürbs race and it managed to neutralise that pesky oversteer well enough.
Hi Luca,
It was me on the inside of that last turn incident. Because of a bad exit out of the chicane from you and the one in front of you there opened a gap for me on the inside. You left me enough room :thumbsup: but unfortunately the other one didn't the same with you so you spinned and I bumped into you. I had to let a lot of cars pass before I could return as 14th.

I would love to have your setup as you are faster than me with the R8, likely because you're the better driver but I can always learn from your setup. Of course you can have mine or I can share the differences with you, if you like.

Haha. Im pretty techy but not sure I understand most of that. But yeah I use afterburner.

You on a 2080 with 3700x? And I thought lower frametimes were better.

I've got a AMD 3600x + 1080ti. The main difference between the CPU's is that the 3700x has more cores & threads - 12t vs 16t. AC only uses 4 threads. As both processors are based on the Zen 2 & turbo to 4.4ghz, give or take the odd frame, they should be comparable.

In order to reduce the load on the cpu, I've lowered the graphics quality - i.e., no post-processing, so the load on the GPU is below 40%. As I see it, the performance differences between the 1080ti & 2080 doesn't come in to the equation with my frugal graphics settings (when I maxed out the graphics settings my frametime 11.1ms (1000/90 fps) dropped to 51.5%... it still didn't max out the gpu - I'm guessing that if I used SOL it would be a different story).

I totally agree - lower frametimes are better. There is a huge difference between 90fps & 60fps, 11.1ms & 16.7ms respectively. It certainly effects my lap times*, but it's the spikes & dropped frames that are the most troubling - especially when trying to push the car in to corners, etc.,.

This is the Afterburner data/log from last weeks Kyalami race (90fps - 16 drivers).
Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.29 - 08.11.51.65.png

In the second race (14 drivers) @ Kyalami, with the Odyssey set @ 60fsp, the frame rate is stable but still has, albeit less intense, frametime spikes.
Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.29 - 08.14.27.10.png

What I can't work out is why I didn't have a cluster of dropped frames @ the start of the race, rather than when I was battling it out with one car (I compared the AC replay to the graph)?

*for the last few months I've been setting a marker (a 'quick' (relatively speaking) lap time with just a few laps & 25 litres of fuel) before the server fills up with drivers, but even with a qualy setup I can't get near it once the server is full!

Thanks everyone for coming out! I'm back next week, really missed racing with you all this week :inlove: This time, come join us out and about in Kyalami!

Last edited:
@pattikins Do you use CM? I have HP Reverb headset and I can get 90fps just fine with ~high settings. I have put shadows fully off and lowered some other settings. I have 9600K and 2080. How much RAM do you have?

I have 16gb @ 3200mhz cl14. I've tried CM & attempted to turn off the shadows but I ended up with an unlit track. I'll have another look @ it.

I do regret not staying with Intel :cry: .

Last edited:
Screenshot (21).png

Not sure if you can see in detail the above, monitor limited to 120hz @ 5120x1440p

the only thing is I do not use is post processing, cannot see the point in AC.

it may not be representative of VR, but I am pushing a lot of pixels.

Forgot 30 cars at Nurburgring GP, all settings in AC at max

Last edited:
I have 16gb @ 3200mhz cl14. I've tried CM & attempted to turn off the shadows but I ended up with an unlit track. I'll have another look @ it.

I do regret not staying with Intel :cry: .

With my headset the shadows were flashing little bit and I think it kind of improved the picture quality after putting them off :D I didn't try to fix it tho, so there might have been some other way to get those work properly. But I haven't miss those so I won't bother :D Hope you get it work properly :) I can post my graphic settings, although I haven't spent too much time tweaking them and not sure if they are even at the limit yet.

Hi Luca,
It was me on the inside of that last turn incident. Because of a bad exit out of the chicane from you and the one in front of you there opened a gap for me on the inside. You left me enough room :thumbsup: but unfortunately the other one didn't the same with you so you spinned and I bumped into you. I had to let a lot of cars pass before I could return as 14th.

Alright, still - no bad feelings from me for that. (I didn't check the replay yet, so it's also possible I'm misremembering who was placed where - I'm also glad I didn't blame the wrong guy publicly, then :ninja:)

The issue was also me not being sure how close you all were to me - I tried out Helicorsa instead of Car Radar a few weeks ago, but it's just horribly configured and it doesn't have as many features; I can't seem to get Car Radar to show up again. I really need to fix this before the next race.

I would love to have your setup as you are faster than me with the R8, likely because you're the better driver but I can always learn from your setup. Of course you can have mine or I can share the differences with you, if you like.

Sure, I'll send you my setup!

View attachment 409374

Not sure if you can see in detail the above, monitor limited to 120hz @ 5120x1440p

the only thing is I do not use is post processing, cannot see the point in AC.

it may not be representative of VR, but I am pushing a lot of pixels.

I'm jealous.:notworthy:

Is that on or offline - not that I think it will make much difference? Is there any chance of running Afterburner in your next few races - I just want to find out if there are any variations, & to what extent, in your framerates & frametime - as a model to compare my results against.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back