AC GT3 @ Mugello - Sunday 11th July 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Anyone recognizes this? It might be a hint for the Thursday event. Or not! :p

1626007769283.jpeg

1626007785761.jpeg

1626007962586.jpeg

This was a rough race for me... Had a great and fast start that got me 2 positions, and managed to push on a bit forward. Felt like I had a great pace. Unfortunately I hadn't practised much on this track and it never was my favourite so.. I launched myself into a spin by biting a bit too much off a kerb. After this I kept spinning out time after time. I suspect suspension got knackered because even when being gentle on the throttle in corners the back end just broke out. After I took a pitstop it went so much better and I actually had a ton of fun.

Unfortunately I then span out and broke the front in the double right hander just after Casanova. I think the bit where all the cars throw sparks caused me to spin since I cut it wrong.

It also doesn't help that I had only driven it with the default configuration which is quite stable but not easy to turn in, so I changed the brake bias a bit during qualifications and realized that I also needed to change fuel and tires. So I effectively went on the track with a car that I had only really done a lap or two with.

Anyway, great racing, and my apologies to whomever hit my front bumper after I had span out and ended up roughly in the middle. That was my fault from start to finish.

It was a joy once more to race with you all!

This was a rough race for me... Had a great and fast start that got me 2 positions, and managed to push on a bit forward. Felt like I had a great pace. Unfortunately I hadn't practised much on this track and it never was my favourite so.. I launched myself into a spin by biting a bit too much off a kerb. After this I kept spinning out time after time. I suspect suspension got knackered because even when being gentle on the throttle in corners the back end just broke out. After I took a pitstop it went so much better and I actually had a ton of fun.

Unfortunately I then span out and broke the front in the double right hander just after Casanova. I think the bit where all the cars throw sparks caused me to spin since I cut it wrong.

It also doesn't help that I had only driven it with the default configuration which is quite stable but not easy to turn in, so I changed the brake bias a bit during qualifications and realized that I also needed to change fuel and tires. So I effectively went on the track with a car that I had only really done a lap or two with.

Anyway, great racing, and my apologies to whomever hit my front bumper after I had span out and ended up roughly in the middle. That was my fault from start to finish.

It was a joy once more to race with you all!

911 is a tough car on this track. It was overheating the mediums here when i tried it during the week. Maybe you cooked the tyres when you spun? I used this setup i found during the week and found it pretty good.

I think you've pinned the problem down. I went out on softs and all tires were screaming red when I spun out. I suppose it was not the best car to pick but I try and drive the same one over and over again to get a bit of a feel for it. Honestly I mostly am sticking with the 911 for visuals :D

Haha ye it has a certain draw to it in that way! It's nice to drive but you need to be running mediums in it all the time is the only problem. Maybe at monza or certain tracks for a qualy laps you could manage softs. An easy fix for your next race!

Really great race for me, the best luck I had was my first lap off circuit. That gave me a very interesting race after that.
It really was from there on a race of pit stops and tyres, I was so lucky that for the first half of the circuit lap the car was just as quick with worn softs as with good softs.
Struggled to keep up in the second half of the lap but some corners were ok some not.
The corners where I was slow were the ones others had to commit too, so if they made a small mistake in one of those corners the long straight and first half of the circuit allowed me to catch up or make up for lost time.
On worn softs and Brian on half worn medium tyres we became eventually into neutral territory.
But after my pit stop, Brian on worn mediums and me on fresh softs, a bridge to far for Brian, eventually having to concede. As I said, tyres were the deciding factor, another 3 laps and me then in worn softs. I would have been on the back foot, the race would have then had a different outcome.
Thank you @Interslice for organisation and all, your efforts. :)

Last edited:
Really great race for me, the best luck I had was my first lap off circuit. That gave me a very interesting race after that.
It really was from there on a race of pit stops and tyres, I was so lucky that for the first half of the circuit lap the car was just as quick with worn softs as with good softs.
Struggled to keep up in the second half of the lap but some corners were ok some not.
The corners where I was slow were the ones others had to commit too, so if they made a small mistake in one of those corners the long straight and first half of the circuit allowed me to catch up or make up for lost time.
On worn softs and Brian on half worn medium tyres we became eventually into neutral territory.
But after my pit stop, Brian on worn mediums and me on fresh softs, a bridge to far for Brian, eventually having to concede. As I said, tyres were the deciding factor, another 3 laps and me then in worn softs. I would have been on the back foot, the race would have then had a different
outcome.
Thank you @Interslice for organisation and all, your efforts. :)

Congrats ernie! Great job after your early spin. I was thinking that spin was a result of cold mediums... which threw me a bit on the strategy. I switched to no tyre change last minute, thinking you were on mediums and would undercut me if i changed tyres...

Ye i was sliding about alot on them them mediums. The outlap was super sketch! I realised after you pitted and there was now a larger gap that you were on 2xsofts... My hope was you would ruin them trying to catch me but wasn't to be! I don't think there was anything i could have done other than drive faster on the first stint. Left a bit of time out there early on when the tyres were good. Then again i made no mistakes and had no spins so that could have changed doing that!

Congrats to @hape for the other podium spot. See you guys next week :)

That was a fun race! After Ernie's spin he was slicing through the field. As he came up to me on the last turn, I panicked when trying to avoid contact and ended up too wide and on the grass. This dropped me to 8th place.

After this I bared down and drove hard and consistent to end up in 4th at the end. Had a great time chasing Paul down and made the pass with few laps to go. He did not give up and was within a second for the balance of the race. Great driving Paul!

Hi folks. Thanks to all who raced last night. Great that we can have such good events events even with small summer grids :) . Hope you can all join us again at silverstone next week.

That was a fun race! After Ernie's spin he was slicing through the field. As he came up to me on the last turn, I panicked when trying to avoid contact and ended up too wide and on the grass. This dropped me to 8th place.

After this I bared down and drove hard and consistent to end up in 4th at the end. Had a great time chasing Paul down and made the pass with few laps to go. He did not give up and was within a second for the balance of the race. Great driving Paul!
Thanks Pat, I am not a regular at the Sunday GT3 races and am struggling with tyre choice when I do:(. I didn’t do much testing and went for what I thought might be a safe option in mediums x 2 with a stop on the 32 minute mark as I didn’t think they would do the distance and the softs seem to go off quickly in qualy. The second set took ages to work and I guess you were on softs as you reeled me in. As the tyres began to work in the latter stages I could get close in the twisty bits but those Nissans are so quick in a straight line and with the Mugello main straight being one of the longest, you were always hard to attack. I did have a go on the last lap but got a bit too excited and had a half spin in T1, going off and clipping the wall which gave you some breathing space.

But another enjoyable race and good fun finding someone to race with. Well done Pat and back to testing and strategy classroom for me before I jump in the GT3 again. Well done Ernie and podium drives and thanks to Brian for organising. Great fun!

Thanks Pat, I am not a regular at the Sunday GT3 races and am struggling with tyre choice when I do:(. I didn’t do much testing and went for what I thought might be a safe option in mediums x 2 with a stop on the 32 minute mark as I didn’t think they would do the distance and the softs seem to go off quickly in qualy. The second set took ages to work and I guess you were on softs as you reeled me in. As the tyres began to work in the latter stages I could get close in the twisty bits but those Nissans are so quick in a straight line and with the Mugello main straight being one of the longest, you were always hard to attack. I did have a go on the last lap but got a bit too excited and had a half spin in T1, going off and clipping the wall which gave you some breathing space.

But another enjoyable race and good fun finding someone to race with. Well done Pat and back to testing and strategy classroom for me before I jump in the GT3 again. Well done Ernie and podium drives and thanks to Brian for organising. Great fun!
Thanks Paul you did a great job., Now that I know you where on mediums, I understand why I got past you. The softs did go off at the end, but I find them manageable with caution. I hope we can get together again in the future.

I have to say that, from qualifying near the rear, and finishing just about the same.... it was one of the best 1 hour races I've run. Every lap was fun because either someone who had an off was coming back fast, or I managed to run a lot of laps chasing, and always close enough to make it challenging to keep up the pace. Also good to watch guys battling for position, and keeping it clean. Thanks for organizing Brian.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back