AC GT3 @ Monza - Sunday 29th March 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@djm68 Sorry about the contact, I did check on the long straight that you were not in a battle with someone, also noted you were a blue flag, when Andreas overtook you I expected you to give way to me too. Again sorry for the contact. :(
A race full of drama for me,:O_o: ran the Lamborghini with no wings and softs, relying totally on the straights/ I assumed that although I gave a lot away on the wiggly bits I could always get out of the corner quickly once I got 100% traction and overtaking me was not going to be easy.
@RasmusP you had a really good race and strategy , unfortunately being followed by a car with 5mph more top speed, long straights and a new set of softs made the outcome obvious. :thumbsup:
The back markers for me were a great bunch of blokes, I would like to think that when I am a blue flag driver I could be as considerate, considering how tricky this circuit is and 36 cars, all were under the circumstance very good.
Thankyou @Chris Down for a great event, loved the 36 field of cars, it made most of the laps for me very interesting, i don't think it would work so well on Brands Hatch Indy circuit.:O_o: ( would be interesting though )
Many good battles with very fair and competitive racers too many to name.:thumbsup:
Congratulations to podiums.

@djm68 Sorry about the contact, I did check on the long straight that you were not in a battle with someone, also noted you were a blue flag, when Andreas overtook you I expected you to give way to me too. Again sorry for the contact. :(
A race full of drama for me,:O_o: ran the Lamborghini with no wings and softs, relying totally on the straights/ I assumed that although I gave a lot away on the wiggly bits I could always get out of the corner quickly once I got 100% traction and overtaking me was not going to be easy.
@RasmusP you had a really good race and strategy , unfortunately being followed by a car with 5mph more top speed, long straights and a new set of softs made the outcome obvious. :thumbsup:
The back markers for me were a great bunch of blokes, I would like to think that when I am a blue flag driver I could be as considerate, considering how tricky this circuit is and 36 cars, all were under the circumstance very good.
Thankyou @Chris Down for a great event, loved the 36 field of cars, it made most of the laps for me very interesting, i don't think it would work so well on Brands Hatch Indy circuit.:O_o: ( would be interesting though )
Many good battles with very fair and competitive racers too many to name.:thumbsup:
Congratulations to podiums.
Haha yeah I shredded my mediums to catch you guys in front. There wasn't much left of the rear tyres at the end :roflmao:
It was awesome fun to go from p19 to p7 and hunt you, Hape and a few others down.
You were the only one that got back at me and it was quite close hehe. Felt pretty hunted at the end.
Your top speed was another level, lol. When you overtook me I got some slip stream at the end and my limiter clipped. That didn't happen against any other car :D
Guess my wing at 4 was a bit too high for monza but overall I could run consistent low 50's and battle in a safe car :)

Thanks all for the race! It really was a great night!
The backmarkers were all doing fine when I came close! Apart from a few "I'm gonna brake on the exit kerb to let him past" and me doing some crazy dodges, it was all awesomely clean!

A few people should install helicorsa though. Got knocked off in t1 and pushed on the grass quite a few times. Nothing really happened from it so no reason to blame anybody :)

Thanks everyone for the amazing race! I know I had a great time racing with you and I'm glad to hear that outside of a couple of incidents, you folks did too.

Next week we're racing through the Austrian hills in Spielberg at the Red Bull Ring. We'd love to see you back again! :thumbsup:

Well @GEO147 would have finished 4th with the 650s if he would have had enough fuel!

It was meant as an innocuous and general observation about the results, not as a comment about individual performances, or George's ability to do fuel calculations. From what I've seen & read, George had a great race up until he ran out of fuel. Irrespective of where George finished, given its popularity, the 650s had a bad day @ the office and it's not something I see everyday. That was the only point I was making, nothing more.

It was meant as an innocuous and general observation about the results, not as a comment about individual performances, or George's ability to do fuel calculations. From what I've seen & read, George had a great race up until he ran out of fuel. Irrespective of where George finished, given its popularity, the 650s had a bad day @ the office and it's not something I see everyday. That was the only point I was making, nothing more.

Heh, I think it was just a friendly note rather than a rebuke :p

I think we've all done that exactly once with the fuel, though...

Good racing with y'all! Was my first time racing here at RD, and for sure won't be my last... Quite the challenge racing with 36 people on a relatively small track for that many cars :D
(backmarkers were very respectful imo, some weird incidents here and there but that's just racing!)
@Chris Down, you've got really impressive pace mate! Great racing with you... you better be ready for Spielberg though, I won't pull a Ferrari strategy and sBinare my own race this time (probably)

Last edited:

No worries @Kek700 . It was a messy race, honestly; I got punted off so many times, I lost count. I am slower than other drivers, I am always happy to give way to those who are faster; not giving way to you was an oversight on my part. Apologies if I held you up at all.

FWIW: I think we need to have a better idea of how we want over taking to occur. I spend a lot time on real tracks and we have very strict passing rules: slower driver remains on the racing line, up to the faster driver to overtake cleanly. On our GT3 races, I've kept my line, only to be aggressively 'tailgated' and punted from behind; other times, I've yielded the line only to be chastised by the over taking driver 'hold your line!'. I am fine with either approach, I just think we need to clarify so we all have aligned expectations.

Last thing, on a more humorous note: I forgot the UK had a time change (I am in the USA), so the start time had moved up an hour earlier than I had expected. I had *just* finished a super hard work out in the gym 15 mins before start time -- it was the legs circuit day -- pushing on the HE Sprint brake pedal was the quite challenge and certainly impacted my already lack-luster braking!

Cheers,
Dom

Last edited:
@djm68

I’m not exactly immune to being a blue flag driver, finding what you say to be so true, I think the faster you become the easier it is to deal with. ( it is going to be infrequent relative to the length of the circuit and race time length ) ( plus you are not slowing the faster driver as much, he can live with that scenario better )
If it is happening multiple times, then the the odds are stacked against you NOT taking the right course of action every time in every circumstance.
This becomes very apparent when we have multi class, if I am in GT3 with LMP cars. I take the easy view that I in GT3, stay on my racing line all the times.
LMP have to treat me as if they were a lapped driver retaking a position back ( carefully ), sounds very easy, No.
It is neither easy for the LMP driver or the Gt3 driver, both are in competitive mode, the LMP driver is much faster, speed seems to give people the notion that it gives you a superior position in the structure of racing and life come to think of it.
I have sometimes been in LMP with Gt3 and I end up driving that way too, looking to overtake with out causing me any loss of time, not taking the Gt3 into account, diving for any gap I see, I have now joined the speed have the right structure of racing.
What is my conclusion from what to me seems to be an almost impossibly difficult situation.
The blue flag drivers have their race, the ones overtaking have their race, my only solution is stay on the racing line at all times but the blue flag driver always back’s off to accommodate the faster driver.
That usually means that neither are inconvenience, what happen to the slower driver in the race when he is in competition with someone. I suppose that boils down to sportsman ship, I personally will not take advantage in that situation, cease racing, once the faster driver is gone, then continue.
If the two come together, then that’s not my problem, I just continue racing.
The psychology of the two drivers is poles apart, one is trying to be submissive and helpful as they can get away with, the other is being as aggressive as they can get away with. Not a good combination???
So stay on the racing line, try to accommodate the faster driver, make your actions part of racing, how well you achieve that should be as important as any of the disaplines that make someone a good racing driver and not just of how fast you can lap
a circuit.
To me I find it very difficult to get right all the time, that’s why our incident did not bother me, realising how difficult it was for you.

Any comments to put me on the right track would be most welcome.

Had this in last nights racing, a strange situation , with reversed grid. I did not really want to slow down the driver that were most of the time lapping a second or more faster than me , they would have had a hard time overtaking me.
I was happy that they continued in their race, for most of the lap we were about the same, the bits that they were quicker I was in the way. Every time I pulled over to let them go, they naturally dived behind me to get enough tow to pass. When I slowed you could almost see the confusion on their faces, must have had some choice words for me.
Sometime helping is wrong.

waffle ended. :confused:

you better be ready for Spielberg though, I won't pull a Ferrari strategy and sBinare my own race this time (probably)

maxresdefault.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back