AC GT3 @ Luccaring, Sunday 30th May 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Actually, you were more consistent than me. In fact, I had a few near misses with the dreaded ditch towards the end of the race, & the results could've been very different :confused:.

It was a shame that you ended up in the ditch, especially after you made such a good start. After reviewing some of the race, I was not surprised that the ramp on the 'San Frediano' (?) was the source of your undoing. On the first lap when I was directly behind you I noticed that the ramp really unsettled the Ferrari, much more than any other car.

The best launch over the ramp, however, goes to Brian, with Pat a close second.
View attachment 478419

Congrats to Pat (the other Pat:) ) for his first podium, & thanks for organising the event Han.

If you do decide to run the track again, given the ditches of doom, I think it would be better suited to a two race event, maybe with a different class of car - minis, classic dtms...
That's a great post, Patrick! Thanks. I see now that my car is badly balanced. The nose stays on the ground and the back jumps up very high. I'm not good with setups. Do you have an idea how I can improve this? It's not the aero because I had a quite a lot rear wing for this track. Probably something with the dampers. I never make changes to the dampers because I don't really understand how it works.

Re the ditch of doom, there are ramps across to the pavement which you can drive over, rather than returning to to the pits.

don't ask me how I know :roflmao:

Great camera work by Pattikins for the ramp but it is strange that the mid engined 488 jumps nose down :thumbsdown:

my hypothosis / questions:

1. do the rear wheels compress the springs and hit the bump stops
2. the rear body / diffusor hits the ground on the raised part of the ramp.
3. the rear springs then release the tension and "bounce" the rear body into the air as the wheels are grounded resulting in a nose down pitch.

if my hypothsis is correct does this imply the rear is too soft in fast bump and/or the bump stops are too high for the ramp?
is this also a general problem for the 458?

488.jpg

1622465680357.png

1622465804775.png

Last edited:
Re the ditch of doom, there are ramps across to the pavement which you can drive over, rather than returning to to the pits.

don't ask me how I know :roflmao:

Great camera work by Pattikins for the ramp but it is strange that the mid engined 488 jumps nose down :thumbsdown:
Because of the gt3 BOP the 488 has the entire engine map changed to slow it down. To be competitive in a race, overtaking and such, you have to lower the rear wing so it unnaturally has too much front aero. It's extremely complicated to setup fast and stable as a result. My experience with it anyway. You think you have a good base setup but every week there is a corner or more often than not a bump or kerb that doesn't agree with it. You need a loads of time and practice so you are driving very consistent and precise with zero mistakes.

my hypothosis / questions:

1. do the rear wheels compress the springs and hit the bump stops
2. the rear body / diffusor hits the ground on the raised part of the ramp.
3. the rear springs then release the tension and "bounce" the rear body into the air as the wheels are grounded resulting in a nose down pitch.

if my hypothsis is correct does this imply the rear is too soft in fast bump and/or the bump stops are too high for the ramp?
is this also a general problem for the 458?

View attachment 478438

View attachment 478436

View attachment 478437

I'd say that's an aero issue for the ferrari. The drag from the rear wing at that angle of attack and speed should level out most cars!

I have found that the basic characteristics of a car generally remain, modify it you can with set up, but the basics of that car remains, irrelevant to setup.
I generally select a car on its basic characters, then modify or enhance it with setup.
You are much better severed by altering your driving or car placement than trying to get fast damping to cure an inherent chartists to change the car.

Just based on my personal experience.
More than willing with alternative information to do a 180 degree.:)

I have found that the basic characteristics of a car generally remain, modify it you can with set up, but the basics of that car remains, irrelevant to setup.
I generally select a car on its basic characters, then modify or enhance it with setup.
You are much better severed by altering your driving or car placement than trying to get fast damping to cure an inherent chartists to change the car.

Just based on my personal experience.
More than willing with alternative information to do a 180 degree.:)

I take a similar approach now based on your idea. But just with a few clicks of wing or arb to sort some minor over or understeer. Big straights lambo. No big straights, something else :roflmao: I've been trying all the cars lately to try and narrow it down to 3 regulars that i like.

Twisting circuits, McLaren, fast circuits, Lamborghini, power circuits, Nissan. I sometimes quite successfully go for the 911, but that is rare. I would always drive this if it was good with softs, but that is probably true for most of us.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 192 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 378 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.7%