AC GT3 @ Laguna Seca - Sunday 6th June 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
It's been a few years since I've had to mess about with a potentiometer. I can see a can of motorcycle chain wax in the image. I'm sure that it will do the job, but I think, in the long run, it will attract more dirt/dust than using a contact cleaner. Hope you manage to get it working.

That was just for the gear and the piston part! I used the slightly less agricultural wd40 and some IPA on the tracks! Hopefully done the job :cool:

There's nothing you can do to make these potentiometers last much longer and I don't think there's a direct replacement quality part available. As a short-term solution, you might be able to replace throttle with clutch which is probably worn less at will work for a while, but hall-sensor based pedals are the way to go long-term. E.g. recently announced Fanatec CSL ones with a load-cell brake added.

That new fanatec gear does look decent. Might consider them next year if the prices stay the same.

First race, well second time. I have abandoned a race. just fed up with people trying something very dodgy.:confused:
When will some of my comrades take overtaking as an art form and not a game of dodgems.
I have done dozens and dozens of races and as yet not punted someone off, a tap here and there, but no punts off, that is with a lot of overtakes.
If I defend that is when there is a chance of an overtake, if I do not defend, then an overtake is going to be very very hard.
Punted to the back of the field in the Audi by one person, this time again punted by one person to the back end of the field.
Believe me I can overtake anyone virtually anywhere if I have no concern for them as fellow
racers.
I take overtaking very seriously, taking my time to weigh up all the pros and cons.
It does not matter if they are the fastest or slowest driver I give them all the same respect, they may have practised long and hard for the event, carelessly being punted by someone is not a nice thing.
Because I slow slightly because the car in front is my next carefully thought out overtake is not a calling card to punt me off at the first opportunity with a silly overtake.
To add insult to injury he did not wait, funnily I heard him complain that when he got hit, and the person did not wait. Another insult to injury he caused the accident he was involved with, obviously blaming someone else, who was totally innocent, Yes the same bleeding corner.
Quite happy with my 5th place in the Audi, quite happy with what looked like a 5th place again at a circuit I hate, both buggered up by someone.:(:(:(:(:(

Please Ernie, just say my name if you want to complain.
I hit you in the cork screw and waited for you to move on.

I got already hit Lap 1 at the start. Then got dive bombed and hit Lap 2 last corner
Lap 5, I got pushed of track in T1 by two cars, that hit me consecutively so I ended up in the gravel.
Every time I lost multiple positions. No one waited and just took advantage. I was already super fed up.

to punt me off at the first opportunity with a silly overtake.
I was behind you at this time for about 15 laps without even touching you and tried to overtake or get into a position for that. So by no means "first opportunity". Lap 20 you went super wide into T1 and I hugged the curbs on the inside cause I could get almost next to you in the corner and wanted to squeeze through. Really sorry for the contact wasnt intentional at all.

I was just so fed up that rules only seem to apply for some people here, and lately I found myself multiple times on the lower end getting hit and pushed out.

Good race guys, started 9th finished 9th. Could have got 8th but for Hans taking me on the last lap. I did at one point sit a bit higher by luckily snatching a few places at the corkscrew avoiding a small pile up and a few other incidents. The quicker guys though, Ernie, Stefan, Patrick soon found their way back past me again and I ended up about where I deserved to be. I will try and practise more for the next event.

Edit. @Interslice thanks for setting up and managing the event.

Last edited:
I qualified 18th, but I figured the count down timer gave me enough time to visit the lavatory, alas I had to start from the pits! Managed to catch up eventually to some stragglers and ended up in a good fight with a red car for a few laps. Unfortunately they pitted after I managed to overtake, I was expecting having to defend my newly gained position. After I pitted myself it was a matter of riding it out to the finish. Glad I had a chance to work on this circuit a few weeks ago in a Skip Barber competition, helped me a lot finding a pace to drive at. I think I ended up 14th eventually after passing some people parked on the gravel.

I qualified 18th, but I figured the count down timer gave me enough time to visit the lavatory, alas I had to start from the pits! Managed to catch up eventually to some stragglers and ended up in a good fight with a red car for a few laps. Unfortunately they pitted after I managed to overtake, I was expecting having to defend my newly gained position. After I pitted myself it was a matter of riding it out to the finish. Glad I had a chance to work on this circuit a few weeks ago in a Skip Barber competition, helped me a lot finding a pace to drive at. I think I ended up 14th eventually after passing some people parked on the gravel.
Jip, you caught me and a lap or two before you passed I noticed that my petrol tank lit up and I was running out of fuel. It had just gone red when you overtook and I had to pit to put in fuel for the last 34 minutes. Completely underfilled the car. Was supposed to pit about 4 laps later than I eventually did. But yes was a good battle with you Carsten. Pity that it couldn't carry on longer.

I did not mention you Stefan because I know it was not done on purpose, but that does not mean I was not somewhat upset, especially after Wednesday..
I once spent 30 laps right on Han’s rear bumper, the reason I never hit him was because I was looking for an advantage that never came, sometimes it is just not possible to overtake.
The Nissan is out of its depth at this circuit, it really struggles, but as long as I hit all my apex’s it is a very difficult car to pass. Twice you hit me when I was certainly not expecting it.
If the overtakes were because there was a chance, or I ran wide, or I made a mistake, that is another thing entirely. Both times an overtake was as near to impossible as it can be.
Any one can squeeze a gap there because it is an in and out slowing corner, but a hit is almost certainly on the cards, plus you are never going to out accelerate the Nissan there to the next corner, plus the Nissan has the advantage for the next corner and the next corner. And for those two corners you are up against two straight that play into the Nissans strengths.
I overtook a Z4 there some laps previously, but I was along side before anyone was on the brakes, I hugged the corner, made sure I did not run wide, made sure I was on the power first.
It took me about 4 or 5 laps to set that up, if I had not done it by then, I would have plugged away for as long as it took without punting him off.
You spent most of those laps at a fair distance from me, only closing when I slowed to try and look for an overtake for the car in front. Obviously you wanted a one corner do or die overtake.
That is really what all this is about, you just do not have the patience to weight up your options and wait for an opportunity, you want it instantly.
I am not in the slightest bit angry at you, just disappointed that a very capable fast driver with loads of experience should put me in this situation.:)

That would have been a fantastic 4 laps! I was genuinely disappointed since our pace was close together at that point.
I was also dissappointed. You were quicker in sector 1 and 3 and I think I was quicker in sector 2. So it would have made for an interesting battle for a few laps. It was turning out to be a nice battle. You drove consistently and captilised on all my small mistakes. Hopefully we see each other on track again sometime and can have a go at each other again. Hopefully closer to the front of the pack next time :) .

Over the last few years I've been archiving my RD races - the good, the bad, & the downright ugly :confused::laugh:. Unfortunately, whilst I was in the process of backing up my hard drive, it failed & I've lost all of those files :(. As a result, I'm now going to use an old (previously abandoned) cloud account for some of my race archives. Here is my Laguna replay - I managed to rack up 31 incidents :confused:.

Congrats to the podium and thanks to Han & Brian for organising such a memorable :cautious: race.

Does anyone know Jen B.'s username. I've managed to find him on Discord* - Jens#7020 - but I haven't got a clue how to send him a message.

* aka :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:...

Edit: one less :poop:

Last edited:
Over the last few years I've been archiving my RD races - the good, the bad, & the downright ugly :confused::laugh:. Unfortunately, whilst I was in the process of backing up my hard drive, it failed & I've lost all those files :(. As a result, I'm now going to use an old (previously abandoned) cloud account for some of my race archives. Here is my Laguna replay - I managed to rack up 31 incidents :confused:.

Congrats to the podium and thanks to Han & Brian for organising such a memorable :cautious: race.

Does anyone know Jen B.'s username. I've managed to find him on Discord* - Jens#7020 - but I haven't got a clue how to send him a message.

* aka :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:...

Right click on his name in discord and hit message.

I still think that the best solution for the problem of people behaving irresponsibly is to raise the damage percentage to at least 50. The current 10% is a joke, you can send it left, right and center and get away with that. SRS, which arguably has about the same or even bigger skill spread (there're quite fast guys, but there's also those who run a Nords lap in 10+ minutes in a GT3 car), uses about 70% I believe, so even a small touch noticeably damages your car which makes most people think twice before doing stupid stuff. That (and the protest system too) has made racing there pretty clean, even in the mid-pack.

Yes, more damage will punish both the offender and the victim, but the thing is that it will do that automatically and there's no escape from that, while right now you can dive-bomb someone and just drive away with minor scratches and you're gonna be OK at least till the end of the race and if nobody reports you for breaking The Golden Rule (and I believe most people hesitate doing so) there're absolutely no consequences for your atrocious driving, especially since naming and shaming in the forum is frowned upon. As for the victim, their race is often already ruined anyway as Ernie's post shows pretty clearly. I watched the replay and I agree with everything he wrote here and can totally feel his frustration. It's no fun racing against someone you can't trust at all.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 185 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 244 13.5%